Terminating pregnancy?

T

Terry

Here's another good one....

The Special Mother
by Erma Bombeck

Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice,
a few by social pressure and a couple by habit.
This year nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of handicapped children.
Did you ever wonder how these mothers are chosen?
Somehow I visualize God hovering over Earth
Selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation.
As he observes, he instructs his angels to take notes in a giant ledger.
"Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint, Matthew."
"Forrest, Marjorie, daughter. Patron Saint, Celia."
"Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron Saint...give her Gerard. He's used to profanity."
Finally he passes a name to an angel and smiles. "Give her a handicapped child."
The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."
"Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give a handicapped child a mother who knows no laughter?
That would be cruel."
"But does she have the patience?" asks the angel.
"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she'll drown in a sea of self-pity and despair.
Once the shock and resentment wear off she'll handle it."
"I watched her today.
She has that sense of self and independence so rare and so necessary in a mother.
You see, the child I'm going to give her has a world of it's own.
She has to make it live in her world, and that's not going to be easy."
"But Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
God smiles. "No matter, I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."
The angel gasps, "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"
God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive.
Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than perfect.
She doesn't know it yet, but she is to be envied.
She will never take for granted a spoken word.
She will never consider a step ordinary.
When her child says momma for the first time, she will be witness to a miracle and know it.
I will permit her to see clearly the things I see--ignorance, cruelty,
prejudice--and allow her to rise above them.
She will never be alone.
I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life
Because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side."
"And what about her Patron Saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in the air. God smiles.
"A mirror will suffice."

T

Terry

The Special Mother
by Erma Bombeck

"Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron Saint...give her Gerard. He's used to profanity."
Finally he passes a name to an angel and smiles. "Give her a handicapped child."
"Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give a handicapped child a mother who knows no laughter?
That would be cruel."
"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she'll drown in a sea of self-pity and despair.
"I watched her today.
She has that sense of self and independence so rare and so necessary in a mother.
God smiles. "No matter, I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."
God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive.
When her child says momma for the first time, she will be witness to a miracle and know it.
She will never be alone.
"And what about her Patron Saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in the air. God smiles.
"A mirror will suffice."

T

Terry

The Special Mother
by Erma Bombeck

That would be cruel."
"I watched her today.
She will never be alone.
"A mirror will suffice."

T

Terry

The Special Mother
by Erma Bombeck

That would be cruel."
"I watched her today.
She will never be alone.
"A mirror will suffice."

T

Terry

<br />
<br />
<br />The Special Mother
<br />by Erma Bombeck
<br />
<br />Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice,
<br />a few by social pressure and a couple by habit.
<br />This year nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of handicapped children.
<br />Did you ever wonder how these mothers are chosen?
<br />Somehow I visualize God hovering over Earth
<br />Selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation.
<br />As he observes, he instructs his angels to take notes in a giant ledger.
<br />"Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint, Matthew."
<br />"Forrest, Marjorie, daughter. Patron Saint, Celia."
<br />"Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron Saint...give her Gerard. He's used to profanity."
<br />Finally he passes a name to an angel and smiles. "Give her a handicapped child."
<br />The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."
<br />"Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give a handicapped child a mother who knows no laughter?
<br />That would be cruel."
<br />"But does she have the patience?" asks the angel.
<br />"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she'll drown in a sea of self-pity and despair.
<br />Once the shock and resentment wear off she'll handle it."
<br />"I watched her today.
<br />She has that sense of self and independence so rare and so necessary in a mother.
<br />You see, the child I'm going to give her has a world of it's own.
<br />She has to make it live in her world, and that's not going to be easy."
<br />"But Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
<br />God smiles. "No matter, I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."
<br />The angel gasps, "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"
<br />God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive.
<br />Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than perfect.
<br />She doesn't know it yet, but she is to be envied.
<br />She will never take for granted a spoken word.
<br />She will never consider a step ordinary.
<br />When her child says momma for the first time, she will be witness to a miracle and know it.
<br />I will permit her to see clearly the things I see--ignorance, cruelty,
<br />prejudice--and allow her to rise above them.
<br />She will never be alone.
<br />I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life
<br />Because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side."
<br />"And what about her Patron Saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in the air. God smiles.
<br />"A mirror will suffice."

T

Terry

One more then I promise I'll stop...

Celebrating Holland- I'm Home
By Cathy Anthony

(my follow-up to the original \Welcome to Holland\ by Emily Perl Kingsley)

I have been in Holland for over a decade now. It has become home. I have had time to catch my breath, to settle and adjust, to accept something different than I'd planned.I reflect back on those years of past when I had first landed in Holland. I remember clearly my shock, my fear, my anger, the pain and uncertainty. Inthose first few years, I tried to get back to Italy as planned, but Holland was where I was to stay. Today, I can say how far I have come on this unexpected journey. I have learned so much more. But, this too has been a journey of time.

I worked hard. I bought new guidebooks. I learned a new language and I slowly found my way around this new land. I have met others whose plans had changed like mine, and who could share my experience. We supported one another and some have become very special friends.

Some of these fellow travelers had been in Holland longer than I and were seasoned guides, assisting me along the way. Many have encouraged me. Many have taught me to open my eyes to the wonder and gifts to behold in this new land. I have discovered a community of caring. Holland wasn't so bad.

I think that Holland is used to wayward travelers like me and grew to become a land of hospitality, reaching out to welcome, to assist and to support newcomers like me in this new land. Over the years, I've wondered what life would have been like if I'd landed in Italy as planned. Would life have been easier? Would it have been as rewarding? Would I have learned some of the important lessons I hold today?

Sure, this journey has been more challenging and at times I would (and still do) stomp my feet and cry out in frustration and protest. And, yes, Holland is slower paced than Italy and less flashy than Italy, but this too has been an unexpected gift. I have learned to slow down in ways too and look closer at things, with a new appreciation for the remarkable beauty of Holland with its tulips, windmills and Rembrandts.

I have come to love Holland and call it Home.

I have become a world traveler and discovered that it doesn't matter where you land. What's more important is what you make of your journey and how you see and enjoy the very special, the very lovely, things that Holland, or any land, has to offer.

Yes, over a decade ago I landed in a place I hadn't planned. Yet I am thankful, for this destination has been richer than I could have imagined!

T

Terry

By Cathy Anthony

I have been in Holland for over a decade now. It has become home. I have had time to catch my breath, to settle and adjust, to accept something different than I'd planned.I reflect back on those years of past when I had first landed in Holland. I remember clearly my shock, my fear, my anger, the pain and uncertainty. Inthose first few years, I tried to get back to Italy as planned, but Holland was where I was to stay. Today, I can say how far I have come on this unexpected journey. I have learned so much more. But, this too has been a journey of time.

I worked hard. I bought new guidebooks. I learned a new language and I slowly found my way around this new land. I have met others whose plans had changed like mine, and who could share my experience. We supported one another and some have become very special friends.

Some of these fellow travelers had been in Holland longer than I and were seasoned guides, assisting me along the way. Many have encouraged me. Many have taught me to open my eyes to the wonder and gifts to behold in this new land. I have discovered a community of caring. Holland wasn't so bad.

I think that Holland is used to wayward travelers like me and grew to become a land of hospitality, reaching out to welcome, to assist and to support newcomers like me in this new land. Over the years, I've wondered what life would have been like if I'd landed in Italy as planned. Would life have been easier? Would it have been as rewarding? Would I have learned some of the important lessons I hold today?

Sure, this journey has been more challenging and at times I would (and still do) stomp my feet and cry out in frustration and protest. And, yes, Holland is slower paced than Italy and less flashy than Italy, but this too has been an unexpected gift. I have learned to slow down in ways too and look closer at things, with a new appreciation for the remarkable beauty of Holland with its tulips, windmills and Rembrandts.

I have become a world traveler and discovered that it doesn't matter where you land. What's more important is what you make of your journey and how you see and enjoy the very special, the very lovely, things that Holland, or any land, has to offer.

Yes, over a decade ago I landed in a place I hadn't planned. Yet I am thankful, for this destination has been richer than I could have imagined!

T

Terry

By Cathy Anthony

T

Terry

By Cathy Anthony

T

Terry

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Celebrating Holland- I'm Home
<br />By Cathy Anthony
<br />
<br />(my follow-up to the original \Welcome to Holland\ by Emily Perl Kingsley)
<br />
<br />
<br />I have been in Holland for over a decade now. It has become home. I have had time to catch my breath, to settle and adjust, to accept something different than I'd planned.I reflect back on those years of past when I had first landed in Holland. I remember clearly my shock, my fear, my anger, the pain and uncertainty. Inthose first few years, I tried to get back to Italy as planned, but Holland was where I was to stay. Today, I can say how far I have come on this unexpected journey. I have learned so much more. But, this too has been a journey of time.
<br />
<br />I worked hard. I bought new guidebooks. I learned a new language and I slowly found my way around this new land. I have met others whose plans had changed like mine, and who could share my experience. We supported one another and some have become very special friends.
<br />
<br />Some of these fellow travelers had been in Holland longer than I and were seasoned guides, assisting me along the way. Many have encouraged me. Many have taught me to open my eyes to the wonder and gifts to behold in this new land. I have discovered a community of caring. Holland wasn't so bad.
<br />
<br />I think that Holland is used to wayward travelers like me and grew to become a land of hospitality, reaching out to welcome, to assist and to support newcomers like me in this new land. Over the years, I've wondered what life would have been like if I'd landed in Italy as planned. Would life have been easier? Would it have been as rewarding? Would I have learned some of the important lessons I hold today?
<br />
<br />Sure, this journey has been more challenging and at times I would (and still do) stomp my feet and cry out in frustration and protest. And, yes, Holland is slower paced than Italy and less flashy than Italy, but this too has been an unexpected gift. I have learned to slow down in ways too and look closer at things, with a new appreciation for the remarkable beauty of Holland with its tulips, windmills and Rembrandts.
<br />
<br />I have come to love Holland and call it Home.
<br />
<br />I have become a world traveler and discovered that it doesn't matter where you land. What's more important is what you make of your journey and how you see and enjoy the very special, the very lovely, things that Holland, or any land, has to offer.
<br />
<br />Yes, over a decade ago I landed in a place I hadn't planned. Yet I am thankful, for this destination has been richer than I could have imagined!

JW212

Marla
Good reply. When my daughter was dx at age 2 the nurse told me..."expect to be hospitalized every few months, expect her to be coughing frequently & Expect your insurance company to give you hard time about covering enzymes" That was on my way out and so gracefully (sarcasm!!) given with our discharge instructions. Since then we have been hospitalized ONCE when she turned 17 last year.And insurance was never a real issue. Her PFTs are in 100s and for now she is doing quite well. The "could haves" that are given for this disease are very unpredictable. Honestly...a plane could fall on our heads right now too but we cant walk around watching the sky and waiting for it to happen. CF has so many people in such a large spectrum from not doing well to doing great. I know children who were so sick at young ages to today in high school years doing fantastic. The question asked is a very difficult one to answer and in reality cannot be answered accurately. We need information but God knows we need something positive to help us keep going. When we were leaving the hospital...long time ago...on discharge that day...one of her docs stopped me, sat me down and said "You know CF research is moving and I beleive I will be out of a job one day....etc....." Well, maybe he is not out of a job today 16 years later but things have changed for the better and we all need ...as put in the other reply...."A little sunshine blown up our butts!!!! " Reality checks YES but I will definetly take the sunshine with it also.
Mom w/18yr.old CF

JW212

Marla
Good reply. When my daughter was dx at age 2 the nurse told me..."expect to be hospitalized every few months, expect her to be coughing frequently & Expect your insurance company to give you hard time about covering enzymes" That was on my way out and so gracefully (sarcasm!!) given with our discharge instructions. Since then we have been hospitalized ONCE when she turned 17 last year.And insurance was never a real issue. Her PFTs are in 100s and for now she is doing quite well. The "could haves" that are given for this disease are very unpredictable. Honestly...a plane could fall on our heads right now too but we cant walk around watching the sky and waiting for it to happen. CF has so many people in such a large spectrum from not doing well to doing great. I know children who were so sick at young ages to today in high school years doing fantastic. The question asked is a very difficult one to answer and in reality cannot be answered accurately. We need information but God knows we need something positive to help us keep going. When we were leaving the hospital...long time ago...on discharge that day...one of her docs stopped me, sat me down and said "You know CF research is moving and I beleive I will be out of a job one day....etc....." Well, maybe he is not out of a job today 16 years later but things have changed for the better and we all need ...as put in the other reply...."A little sunshine blown up our butts!!!! " Reality checks YES but I will definetly take the sunshine with it also.
Mom w/18yr.old CF

JW212

Marla
Mom w/18yr.old CF

JW212

Marla
Mom w/18yr.old CF

JW212

Marla
<br />Good reply. When my daughter was dx at age 2 the nurse told me..."expect to be hospitalized every few months, expect her to be coughing frequently & Expect your insurance company to give you hard time about covering enzymes" That was on my way out and so gracefully (sarcasm!!) given with our discharge instructions. Since then we have been hospitalized ONCE when she turned 17 last year.And insurance was never a real issue. Her PFTs are in 100s and for now she is doing quite well. The "could haves" that are given for this disease are very unpredictable. Honestly...a plane could fall on our heads right now too but we cant walk around watching the sky and waiting for it to happen. CF has so many people in such a large spectrum from not doing well to doing great. I know children who were so sick at young ages to today in high school years doing fantastic. The question asked is a very difficult one to answer and in reality cannot be answered accurately. We need information but God knows we need something positive to help us keep going. When we were leaving the hospital...long time ago...on discharge that day...one of her docs stopped me, sat me down and said "You know CF research is moving and I beleive I will be out of a job one day....etc....." Well, maybe he is not out of a job today 16 years later but things have changed for the better and we all need ...as put in the other reply...."A little sunshine blown up our butts!!!! " Reality checks YES but I will definetly take the sunshine with it also.
<br />Mom w/18yr.old CF

Emily65Roses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>JW212</b></i>
The "could haves" that are given for this disease are very unpredictable. Honestly...a plane could fall on our heads right now too but we cant walk around watching the sky and waiting for it to happen.</end quote></div>

It is true, you can have a plane fall on your head. But I hate this comparison, because it's really not worth the time it took you to type it. There is a MUCH MUCH MUCH greater chance that you're going to die of CF (eventually, it's almost an inevitability) than anyone is going to have a plane fall on their head.

No, you can't live life waiting for stuff to happen. But that comparison is still pretty much useless.

Emily65Roses

The "could haves" that are given for this disease are very unpredictable. Honestly...a plane could fall on our heads right now too but we cant walk around watching the sky and waiting for it to happen.</end quote></div>

It is true, you can have a plane fall on your head. But I hate this comparison, because it's really not worth the time it took you to type it. There is a MUCH MUCH MUCH greater chance that you're going to die of CF (eventually, it's almost an inevitability) than anyone is going to have a plane fall on their head.

No, you can't live life waiting for stuff to happen. But that comparison is still pretty much useless.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

The "could haves" that are given for this disease are very unpredictable. Honestly...a plane could fall on our heads right now too but we cant walk around watching the sky and waiting for it to happen.</end quote>

Emily65Roses

<br />The "could haves" that are given for this disease are very unpredictable. Honestly...a plane could fall on our heads right now too but we cant walk around watching the sky and waiting for it to happen.</end quote>
<br />
<br />It is true, you can have a plane fall on your head. But I hate this comparison, because it's really not worth the time it took you to type it. There is a MUCH MUCH MUCH greater chance that you're going to die of CF (eventually, it's almost an inevitability) than anyone is going to have a plane fall on their head.
<br />
<br />No, you can't live life waiting for stuff to happen. But that comparison is still pretty much useless.