The city in which you live....

ladybug

Thanks, Piper! Always a wealth of knowledge!

So, how close is Denver to Colorado Springs anyway? And, will I acclimate to the altitude? I worry cause when I'd go to the CF clinic is SLC, which isn't even as high, I'd need O2 for at least a few weeks just cause I was coming from Vegas.

I've noticed the weather here is dry (obviously, its vegas) and its been kinda rough on me... I've had lots of asthma issues (not sure if its the dryness or the pollution)... Is Denver/Colorado Springs really dry?

Thanks again!

Please, everyone respond if you can!!!

ladybug

So, how close is Denver to Colorado Springs anyway? And, will I acclimate to the altitude? I worry cause when I'd go to the CF clinic is SLC, which isn't even as high, I'd need O2 for at least a few weeks just cause I was coming from Vegas.

I've noticed the weather here is dry (obviously, its vegas) and its been kinda rough on me... I've had lots of asthma issues (not sure if its the dryness or the pollution)... Is Denver/Colorado Springs really dry?

Thanks again!

ladybug

Thanks again!

ladybug

Thanks again!

ladybug

<br />
<br />So, how close is Denver to Colorado Springs anyway? And, will I acclimate to the altitude? I worry cause when I'd go to the CF clinic is SLC, which isn't even as high, I'd need O2 for at least a few weeks just cause I was coming from Vegas.
<br />
<br />I've noticed the weather here is dry (obviously, its vegas) and its been kinda rough on me... I've had lots of asthma issues (not sure if its the dryness or the pollution)... Is Denver/Colorado Springs really dry?
<br />
<br />Thanks again!
<br />
<br />Please, everyone respond if you can!!!

lmattaway

Sonia,
I concur with Piper. I've lived in Littleton (about 30 mins southwest of Denver) for 4 years and loved the center at National Jewish. I went to the adult clinic and thought they were very responsive. They are good about letting you do IVs from home and not requiring you to be inpatient. National Jewish is the leading lung hospital in the nation so they're highly respected when it comes to transplants.

I also worked on the family/patient committee at Children's and think very highly of Dr. Accurso as well. Great man! But I'd go with the adult clinic just b/c they're well equipped to deal with all that comes from "growing older" with CF.

Denver is very dry, but it actually seemed to be better for me. I actually thought my lungs were at their best once they acclimated to the altitude.

PM me if you have any more specific questions!

lmattaway

Sonia,
I concur with Piper. I've lived in Littleton (about 30 mins southwest of Denver) for 4 years and loved the center at National Jewish. I went to the adult clinic and thought they were very responsive. They are good about letting you do IVs from home and not requiring you to be inpatient. National Jewish is the leading lung hospital in the nation so they're highly respected when it comes to transplants.

I also worked on the family/patient committee at Children's and think very highly of Dr. Accurso as well. Great man! But I'd go with the adult clinic just b/c they're well equipped to deal with all that comes from "growing older" with CF.

Denver is very dry, but it actually seemed to be better for me. I actually thought my lungs were at their best once they acclimated to the altitude.

lmattaway

Sonia,

lmattaway

Sonia,

lmattaway

Sonia,
<br /> I concur with Piper. I've lived in Littleton (about 30 mins southwest of Denver) for 4 years and loved the center at National Jewish. I went to the adult clinic and thought they were very responsive. They are good about letting you do IVs from home and not requiring you to be inpatient. National Jewish is the leading lung hospital in the nation so they're highly respected when it comes to transplants.
<br />
<br />I also worked on the family/patient committee at Children's and think very highly of Dr. Accurso as well. Great man! But I'd go with the adult clinic just b/c they're well equipped to deal with all that comes from "growing older" with CF.
<br />
<br />Denver is very dry, but it actually seemed to be better for me. I actually thought my lungs were at their best once they acclimated to the altitude.
<br />
<br />PM me if you have any more specific questions!

Capi

Although Denver is an a great place, my wife and I decided to go and spend a week in Colorado Springs. A few hours in and I was ready to head back home.

I was not able to walk more than five step without being out of breath. It really was a bad experience for me. The second day into it the Hotel had to get me oxygen something I have never used and finally I had to cut my trip short.

Got back to Miami FL was check out and Doc said if I would have stayed any longer I might have damaged or scared up my lungs pretty bad because of the dry weather and high altitude.

I did get to stay at the Broadmoor which is probably one to the nicest hotels I have ever seen and the people were great but my lungs did not like it.

My city is not on your list so good luck on your choices.

Capi

Although Denver is an a great place, my wife and I decided to go and spend a week in Colorado Springs. A few hours in and I was ready to head back home.

I was not able to walk more than five step without being out of breath. It really was a bad experience for me. The second day into it the Hotel had to get me oxygen something I have never used and finally I had to cut my trip short.

Got back to Miami FL was check out and Doc said if I would have stayed any longer I might have damaged or scared up my lungs pretty bad because of the dry weather and high altitude.

I did get to stay at the Broadmoor which is probably one to the nicest hotels I have ever seen and the people were great but my lungs did not like it.

Capi

Capi

Capi

<br />
<br />I was not able to walk more than five step without being out of breath. It really was a bad experience for me. The second day into it the Hotel had to get me oxygen something I have never used and finally I had to cut my trip short.
<br />
<br />Got back to Miami FL was check out and Doc said if I would have stayed any longer I might have damaged or scared up my lungs pretty bad because of the dry weather and high altitude.
<br />
<br />I did get to stay at the Broadmoor which is probably one to the nicest hotels I have ever seen and the people were great but my lungs did not like it.
<br />
<br />My city is not on your list so good luck on your choices.

ladybug

Hey, Capi...

Thanks for your input! I do appreciate it. At the risk of getting off topic here, I'm curious why a doctor would say you can scar your lungs with dry air? I've never heard of that. I have actually been living in Las Vegas, so I doubt the air in Colorado is lower than 4% humidity at any given time... LOL.

But, I do know the thinner air could cause problems. My biggest concern is not when I initially get there, but after I've been living there a while... Will my body/lungs acclimate to the thinner air? I've heard somewhere that you DO acclimate after being in high altitudes for a long time, but how long? I do have an Rx for O2 for exercise and sleep, so getting it and having it on hand until I'd "get used to it" is not an issue. As long as I WILL get used to it?!?

Thanks again...

ladybug

Hey, Capi...

Thanks for your input! I do appreciate it. At the risk of getting off topic here, I'm curious why a doctor would say you can scar your lungs with dry air? I've never heard of that. I have actually been living in Las Vegas, so I doubt the air in Colorado is lower than 4% humidity at any given time... LOL.

But, I do know the thinner air could cause problems. My biggest concern is not when I initially get there, but after I've been living there a while... Will my body/lungs acclimate to the thinner air? I've heard somewhere that you DO acclimate after being in high altitudes for a long time, but how long? I do have an Rx for O2 for exercise and sleep, so getting it and having it on hand until I'd "get used to it" is not an issue. As long as I WILL get used to it?!?

Thanks again...

ladybug

Hey, Capi...

Thanks again...

ladybug

Hey, Capi...

Thanks again...

ladybug

Hey, Capi...
<br />
<br />Thanks for your input! I do appreciate it. At the risk of getting off topic here, I'm curious why a doctor would say you can scar your lungs with dry air? I've never heard of that. I have actually been living in Las Vegas, so I doubt the air in Colorado is lower than 4% humidity at any given time... LOL.
<br />
<br />But, I do know the thinner air could cause problems. My biggest concern is not when I initially get there, but after I've been living there a while... Will my body/lungs acclimate to the thinner air? I've heard somewhere that you DO acclimate after being in high altitudes for a long time, but how long? I do have an Rx for O2 for exercise and sleep, so getting it and having it on hand until I'd "get used to it" is not an issue. As long as I WILL get used to it?!?
<br />
<br />Thanks again...
<br />