The relationship of Cystic Fibrosis and Depression?

jamie6girl

1. What is your age? 28<br><br>

2. Are you a Male of Female? Female <br><br>

3. Where do you live? Memphis, TN <br><br>

4. At what age were you diagnosed with CF? 3 - 4 months old <br><br>

5. How would you classify your CF, Severe, Moderate, or Fair or does not affect you in any way, and please explain. Moderate <br><br>

6. Are you depressed or have you ever been depressed, if so what aged did this start? Yes, 19 <br><br>

7. If you said yes to the above question, do you feel that this relates to your CF, if so how? No <br><br>

8. If you said yes to question 5, but no to questions 6, please explain. Other Factors Were Involved.. Bad Friendships, problems wtih family, etc <br><br>

9. How severe have you been Depressed, Severe, Moderate, or Fair, and please explain? Severe <br><br>

10. Do you feel that there are sufficient resources for your Depression and CF? No <br><br>

11. Do you feel that your Depression has had a negative impact on your CF? Yes - Depression does not motivate us to take care of ourselves. It's the complete opposite....<br><br>

12. Do you feel that any of the medication that you are or have taken has caused or impacted your Depression in a negative way? No. I've been very frustrated with side effects of certain meds, but I do not believe it has caused any depression. <br><br>

13. Do you feel that your Depression fluctuates as your health fluctuates? No, but I can see this maybe happening to others or to myself in the future <br><br>

14. Does any one else in you family suffer from Depression? I think my sister does. She does not have CF. <br><br>

15. Has something else, besides CF, such as a traumatic event, or an environmental factor influences you your Depression, if so what and to what extent? Yes... Other factors influenced my depression. As I mentioned above, friendship issues, relationships, family, college dorm life, etc, all impacted or caused my depression. CF didn't help, but I do not believe it was a major factor.

jamie6girl

5. How would you classify your CF, Severe, Moderate, or Fair or does not affect you in any way, and please explain. Moderate <br><br>

6. Are you depressed or have you ever been depressed, if so what aged did this start? Yes, 19 <br><br>

7. If you said yes to the above question, do you feel that this relates to your CF, if so how? No <br><br>

8. If you said yes to question 5, but no to questions 6, please explain. Other Factors Were Involved.. Bad Friendships, problems wtih family, etc <br><br>

9. How severe have you been Depressed, Severe, Moderate, or Fair, and please explain? Severe <br><br>

10. Do you feel that there are sufficient resources for your Depression and CF? No <br><br>

11. Do you feel that your Depression has had a negative impact on your CF? Yes - Depression does not motivate us to take care of ourselves. It's the complete opposite....<br><br>

12. Do you feel that any of the medication that you are or have taken has caused or impacted your Depression in a negative way? No. I've been very frustrated with side effects of certain meds, but I do not believe it has caused any depression. <br><br>

13. Do you feel that your Depression fluctuates as your health fluctuates? No, but I can see this maybe happening to others or to myself in the future <br><br>

14. Does any one else in you family suffer from Depression? I think my sister does. She does not have CF. <br><br>

15. Has something else, besides CF, such as a traumatic event, or an environmental factor influences you your Depression, if so what and to what extent? Yes... Other factors influenced my depression. As I mentioned above, friendship issues, relationships, family, college dorm life, etc, all impacted or caused my depression. CF didn't help, but I do not believe it was a major factor.

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

bagged2drag

1. What is your age?

2. Are you a Male of Female?

Male

3. Where do you live?

Wisconsin

4. At what age were you diagnosed with CF?

Birth (couple days old)

5. How would you classify your CF, Severe, Moderate, or Fair or does not affect you in any way, and please explain.

Severe: FEV1 avg. about 35%, had about a year around 25%, severe malnurishment (almost nonexistent vitamin d and k levels) , 2 surgeries for obstructions, had an ileostomy for about 4 months, rhabdomyalisis 3 times from medication reaction, kidney failure 2 times from med reaction, severe arthritis.

6. Are you depressed or have you ever been depressed, if so what aged did this start?

Not presently depressed, have been at one time, around the age of 23-24

7. If you said yes to the above question, do you feel that this relates to your CF, if so how?

Combination cf, family problems, relationship problems, and money problems directly related to CF

8. If you said yes to question 6, but no to questions 7, please explain.

9. How severe have you been Depressed, Severe, Moderate, or Fair, and please explain?

Pretty bad for a while, no problems now

10. Do you feel that there are sufficient resources for your Depression and CF?

No, my doctor of internal medicine (who brought it upon himself to learn about cf just for my cause) was probably the most help, Cf clinic pretty much blew it off, counselor? Waste of my time.

11. Do you feel that your Depression has had a negative impact on your CF?

Not in a long term perspective.

12. Do you feel that any of the medication that you are or have taken has caused or impacted your Depression in a negative way?

Not directly, there is the frustration of having to take the medications though

13. Do you feel that your Depression fluctuates as your health fluctuates?

I think my outlook fluctuates with health, and vice versa, I wouldn't consider myself depressed though

14. Does any one else in you family suffer from Depression?

Family history of mental problems, many relatives that have/had severe depression

15. Has something else, besides CF, such as a traumatic event, or an environmental factor influences you your Depression, if so what and to what extent?

The oppression of everything one has to deal with, medications, financial, work, etc all had an affect

Please add further detail if you like, and like I mentioned before, you will remain anonymous in my final report. I thank all of you in advance, and I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

bagged2drag

1. What is your age?

Male

3. Where do you live?

Wisconsin

Birth (couple days old)

5. How would you classify your CF, Severe, Moderate, or Fair or does not affect you in any way, and please explain.

Severe: FEV1 avg. about 35%, had about a year around 25%, severe malnurishment (almost nonexistent vitamin d and k levels) , 2 surgeries for obstructions, had an ileostomy for about 4 months, rhabdomyalisis 3 times from medication reaction, kidney failure 2 times from med reaction, severe arthritis.

6. Are you depressed or have you ever been depressed, if so what aged did this start?

7. If you said yes to the above question, do you feel that this relates to your CF, if so how?

Combination cf, family problems, relationship problems, and money problems directly related to CF

9. How severe have you been Depressed, Severe, Moderate, or Fair, and please explain?

No, my doctor of internal medicine (who brought it upon himself to learn about cf just for my cause) was probably the most help, Cf clinic pretty much blew it off, counselor? Waste of my time.

12. Do you feel that any of the medication that you are or have taken has caused or impacted your Depression in a negative way?

I think my outlook fluctuates with health, and vice versa, I wouldn't consider myself depressed though

Family history of mental problems, many relatives that have/had severe depression

15. Has something else, besides CF, such as a traumatic event, or an environmental factor influences you your Depression, if so what and to what extent?

The oppression of everything one has to deal with, medications, financial, work, etc all had an affect

Please add further detail if you like, and like I mentioned before, you will remain anonymous in my final report. I thank all of you in advance, and I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

bagged2drag

1. What is your age?

Male

3. Where do you live?

Wisconsin

Birth (couple days old)

bagged2drag

1. What is your age?

Male

3. Where do you live?

Wisconsin

Birth (couple days old)

bagged2drag

1. What is your age?

Male

3. Where do you live?

Wisconsin

Birth (couple days old)

Quackie

Thank you to all those who have relpied.

All the info that I have gathered this far is extreamly helpful. However, I cannot do this with out the help of all of you. I want to get accurate numbers, which will be difficult to do with out your help. I don't want to beg... but Please Please Please help me out on this, even if you do not have depression. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks again to all of you who have replied.

Quackie

All the info that I have gathered this far is extreamly helpful. However, I cannot do this with out the help of all of you. I want to get accurate numbers, which will be difficult to do with out your help. I don't want to beg... but Please Please Please help me out on this, even if you do not have depression. I need all the help I can get.

Quackie

Quackie

Quackie

Jem

1. What is your age? <b>49</b>

2. Are you a Male of Female? <b>Female</b>

3. Where do you live? <b>PA</b>

4. At what age were you diagnosed with CF? <b> I suffered all my life with lung issues...finally tested for cf at 18 when chronic hemoptysis started but my sweat test numbers were 37-39 and I was pancreatic sufficient so it was decided that I had unexplained bronchiectasis. I had half my left lung removed at 19 continued on with lung issues over the years. At 36 my lung issues (hemoptysis) became very severe and at 40 lost the rest of my left lung. I was 42 when genetic testing expanded enough to find my second gene (DF508 & D1152H)</b>

5. How would you classify your CF, Severe, Moderate, or Fair or does not affect you in any way, and please explain. <b>With one lung my lastest FEV 1 is 53, it had been as low as 41 back in 4/06. (THANK YOU CYSTICFIBROSIS.COM FOR THIS ACHIEVEMENT!) I do not look at my disease as a handicap. It has not stopped me from doing anything I really wanted to achieve in life and it has gotten me out of things that I preferred to miss. A little cough here and there can come in handy sometimes...especially when the monthly Visa bill arrives...lol. </b>

6. Are you depressed or have you ever been depressed, if so what aged did this start? <b>No</b>
7. If you said yes to the above question, do you feel that this relates to your CF, if so how? <b>N/A</b>

8. If you said yes to question 6, but no to questions 7, please explain. <b>N/A</b>

9. How severe have you been Depressed, Severe, Moderate, or Fair, and please explain? <b>N/A</b>

10. Do you feel that there are sufficient resources for your Depression and CF? <b>N/A</b>

11. Do you feel that your Depression has had a negative impact on your CF? <b>N/A</b>

12. Do you feel that any of the medication that you are or have taken has caused or impacted your Depression in a negative way?<b>N/A</b>

13. Do you feel that your Depression fluctuates as your health fluctuates?<b>N/A</b>

14. Does any one else in you family suffer from Depression? <b>N/A</b>

15. Has something else, besides CF, such as a traumatic event, or an environmental factor influences you your Depression, if so what and to what extent? ---

<b>This is how I life my life.
Everyday I get up and give my day to God. It is He who is in control of my life. So whatever I have to face that day...I do...and do so with gratitude and joy for all the many blessings He has given me. And yes, I consider CF one of my many blessings...but like Lauren said if today I had the opportunity to cure it I would. But would I change anything I have gone through to get where I am today?...absolutely not.</b>

-------------------------

Jem

4. At what age were you diagnosed with CF? <b> I suffered all my life with lung issues...finally tested for cf at 18 when chronic hemoptysis started but my sweat test numbers were 37-39 and I was pancreatic sufficient so it was decided that I had unexplained bronchiectasis. I had half my left lung removed at 19 continued on with lung issues over the years. At 36 my lung issues (hemoptysis) became very severe and at 40 lost the rest of my left lung. I was 42 when genetic testing expanded enough to find my second gene (DF508 & D1152H)</b>

5. How would you classify your CF, Severe, Moderate, or Fair or does not affect you in any way, and please explain. <b>With one lung my lastest FEV 1 is 53, it had been as low as 41 back in 4/06. (THANK YOU CYSTICFIBROSIS.COM FOR THIS ACHIEVEMENT!) I do not look at my disease as a handicap. It has not stopped me from doing anything I really wanted to achieve in life and it has gotten me out of things that I preferred to miss. A little cough here and there can come in handy sometimes...especially when the monthly Visa bill arrives...lol. </b>

6. Are you depressed or have you ever been depressed, if so what aged did this start? <b>No</b>
7. If you said yes to the above question, do you feel that this relates to your CF, if so how? <b>N/A</b>

8. If you said yes to question 6, but no to questions 7, please explain. <b>N/A</b>

9. How severe have you been Depressed, Severe, Moderate, or Fair, and please explain? <b>N/A</b>

10. Do you feel that there are sufficient resources for your Depression and CF? <b>N/A</b>

11. Do you feel that your Depression has had a negative impact on your CF? <b>N/A</b>

12. Do you feel that any of the medication that you are or have taken has caused or impacted your Depression in a negative way?<b>N/A</b>

13. Do you feel that your Depression fluctuates as your health fluctuates?<b>N/A</b>

15. Has something else, besides CF, such as a traumatic event, or an environmental factor influences you your Depression, if so what and to what extent? ---

Everyday I get up and give my day to God. It is He who is in control of my life. So whatever I have to face that day...I do...and do so with gratitude and joy for all the many blessings He has given me. And yes, I consider CF one of my many blessings...but like Lauren said if today I had the opportunity to cure it I would. But would I change anything I have gone through to get where I am today?...absolutely not.</b>

Jem

Jem

Jem