The Vest and Ears

NancyLKF

Maggie got her vest this week! YAY! but she keeps grabbing her ears or putting her fingers in them as if they are hurting or bothering her when the vest is going. I ask her if her ears hurt and she just says Yes. But who knows because she is only 21 months. I turn the vest down to see if it helps, and then she just has a finger in one of her ears. Any thoughts?

NancyLKF

Maggie got her vest this week! YAY! but she keeps grabbing her ears or putting her fingers in them as if they are hurting or bothering her when the vest is going. I ask her if her ears hurt and she just says Yes. But who knows because she is only 21 months. I turn the vest down to see if it helps, and then she just has a finger in one of her ears. Any thoughts?

NancyLKF

M

Mommafirst

I wonder if she has some fluid in her ears. The vibration of the vest could definitely cause her ears, especially with fluid, to feel weird or hurt.

Lay your head on her chest while the vest is going. It makes everything vibrate. I have an adult CF patient friend who says she can't stand the vest because it makes her nose itch.

M

Mommafirst

I wonder if she has some fluid in her ears. The vibration of the vest could definitely cause her ears, especially with fluid, to feel weird or hurt.

Lay your head on her chest while the vest is going. It makes everything vibrate. I have an adult CF patient friend who says she can't stand the vest because it makes her nose itch.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Lay your head on her chest while the vest is going. It makes everything vibrate. I have an adult CF patient friend who says she can't stand the vest because it makes her nose itch.

hmw

Is she crying when she does this or acting like she's in real distress? I agree there is significant vibration when the vest is going- she might need to be gradually worked up to whatever settings the dr has recommended for her- but I also wonder if she is just getting used to the sensation. If she's not crying or actually upset about it, I'd wait a bit w/o drawing too much attention to it and see if her reaction subsides as she gets accustomed to it.

If it's clear she's in pain, of course, that's another matter entirely. I think having her ears checked out is a good idea if that's the case. She might also not like how loud the vest is... it took Emily a bit, w/ her sensory issues, to get used to the noise.

hmw

Is she crying when she does this or acting like she's in real distress? I agree there is significant vibration when the vest is going- she might need to be gradually worked up to whatever settings the dr has recommended for her- but I also wonder if she is just getting used to the sensation. If she's not crying or actually upset about it, I'd wait a bit w/o drawing too much attention to it and see if her reaction subsides as she gets accustomed to it.

If it's clear she's in pain, of course, that's another matter entirely. I think having her ears checked out is a good idea if that's the case. She might also not like how loud the vest is... it took Emily a bit, w/ her sensory issues, to get used to the noise.

hmw

<br />
<br />If it's clear she's in pain, of course, that's another matter entirely. I think having her ears checked out is a good idea if that's the case. She might also not like how loud the vest is... it took Emily a bit, w/ her sensory issues, to get used to the noise.

my daughter is turning three and she has been doing her vest for a year now. we came across the same issue. we wrapped a receiving blanket around her ears and tuck it in her vest around her neck. once we started to that she began to tolerate it really well.

gina (mom to Sophia 3 w/cf, Peter and Gavin 16 months w/cf

my daughter is turning three and she has been doing her vest for a year now. we came across the same issue. we wrapped a receiving blanket around her ears and tuck it in her vest around her neck. once we started to that she began to tolerate it really well.

gina (mom to Sophia 3 w/cf, Peter and Gavin 16 months w/cf

<br />
<br />
<br />gina (mom to Sophia 3 w/cf, Peter and Gavin 16 months w/cf

E

edan

We started the vest in august. My daughter is 3.5. Her ears were the first thing she complained about. She sits in front of me on the chair and until recently she would have me hold her ears and tummy because they both bothered her. Now I think she is used to her ears vibrating for the most part, and her tummy is good too until our hill-rom gets to 14 hz. Then I still hold her tummy at this level. She often rubs her nose as well and says it itches.

For her ears, I just lay my hands flat across them and apply pressure and she is fine.

Hope that helps.

Edan.

E

edan

We started the vest in august. My daughter is 3.5. Her ears were the first thing she complained about. She sits in front of me on the chair and until recently she would have me hold her ears and tummy because they both bothered her. Now I think she is used to her ears vibrating for the most part, and her tummy is good too until our hill-rom gets to 14 hz. Then I still hold her tummy at this level. She often rubs her nose as well and says it itches.

For her ears, I just lay my hands flat across them and apply pressure and she is fine.

Hope that helps.

Edan.

E

edan

<br />
<br />For her ears, I just lay my hands flat across them and apply pressure and she is fine.
<br />
<br />Hope that helps.
<br />
<br />Edan.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
My FIL, who has chronic sinus and ear issues (inner ear infections and perforated ear drum that's been patched)complains about his ears when he sits next to DS during vest time.

I notice that it makes my ears itch a bit once in awhile.

When we had our CF walk a few years ago, someone made little vests for the kids for their stuffed animals and one kids threw a fit. There was NO WAY she wanted one for her stuffed animal 'cuz it'd make his ears itch!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
My FIL, who has chronic sinus and ear issues (inner ear infections and perforated ear drum that's been patched)complains about his ears when he sits next to DS during vest time.

I notice that it makes my ears itch a bit once in awhile.

When we had our CF walk a few years ago, someone made little vests for the kids for their stuffed animals and one kids threw a fit. There was NO WAY she wanted one for her stuffed animal 'cuz it'd make his ears itch!