Things to do in the hospital

colinmaydahl

So I just had a hard 2 week hospital stay after being on and off IV's since the middle of May and turned to the pain meds that the hospital seems 2 willing to give out. I know they are bad for just about every reason, but I needed a break from being locked up. I didn't have the motivation to read, wright, knit, or just about anything. I was needing a escape and they worked. I have friends that are recovering addicts and know their story and how it works.

any good ideas?

Colin
28m w/cf

colinmaydahl

So I just had a hard 2 week hospital stay after being on and off IV's since the middle of May and turned to the pain meds that the hospital seems 2 willing to give out. I know they are bad for just about every reason, but I needed a break from being locked up. I didn't have the motivation to read, wright, knit, or just about anything. I was needing a escape and they worked. I have friends that are recovering addicts and know their story and how it works.

any good ideas?

Colin
28m w/cf

colinmaydahl

<br />
<br />any good ideas?
<br />
<br />Colin
<br />28m w/cf

E

entropy

I'm not fully understanding what your question is. Are you saying the hospital gave you a prescription for narcotics after you were discharged? Or you were getting IV narcotics in the hospital..?

Narcotics can definitely make the hospital stay more comfy, but if you get discharged without them you'll be in hell for a few days if you're on them for more than a week. And if you manage to get discharged with a script then you're just going to be delaying the inevitable which is a hellish withdrawal.

My only advice to you is that if you plan to go on narcotics be ready for the long haul because after a certain point there's no turning back.

EDIT: I think I understand your question now. You're wanting suggestions for things to do in the hospital BESIDES narcotics? haha. Well... if you have a laptop have someone bring it in to you. That's what I do when I'm in the hospital; search the internet, watch videos on YouTube, etc. When I was in a hospital that didn't have wifi I would have my iPod brought in. If you don't have a laptop or an iPod, a CD player is another alternative. You can play video games and search the internet on some cell phones which can help pass the time. If all else fails, give the nurses a really hard time. That's always fun :)

E

entropy

I'm not fully understanding what your question is. Are you saying the hospital gave you a prescription for narcotics after you were discharged? Or you were getting IV narcotics in the hospital..?

Narcotics can definitely make the hospital stay more comfy, but if you get discharged without them you'll be in hell for a few days if you're on them for more than a week. And if you manage to get discharged with a script then you're just going to be delaying the inevitable which is a hellish withdrawal.

My only advice to you is that if you plan to go on narcotics be ready for the long haul because after a certain point there's no turning back.

EDIT: I think I understand your question now. You're wanting suggestions for things to do in the hospital BESIDES narcotics? haha. Well... if you have a laptop have someone bring it in to you. That's what I do when I'm in the hospital; search the internet, watch videos on YouTube, etc. When I was in a hospital that didn't have wifi I would have my iPod brought in. If you don't have a laptop or an iPod, a CD player is another alternative. You can play video games and search the internet on some cell phones which can help pass the time. If all else fails, give the nurses a really hard time. That's always fun :)

E

entropy

<br />
<br />Narcotics can definitely make the hospital stay more comfy, but if you get discharged without them you'll be in hell for a few days if you're on them for more than a week. And if you manage to get discharged with a script then you're just going to be delaying the inevitable which is a hellish withdrawal.
<br />
<br />My only advice to you is that if you plan to go on narcotics be ready for the long haul because after a certain point there's no turning back.
<br />
<br />EDIT: I think I understand your question now. You're wanting suggestions for things to do in the hospital BESIDES narcotics? haha. Well... if you have a laptop have someone bring it in to you. That's what I do when I'm in the hospital; search the internet, watch videos on YouTube, etc. When I was in a hospital that didn't have wifi I would have my iPod brought in. If you don't have a laptop or an iPod, a CD player is another alternative. You can play video games and search the internet on some cell phones which can help pass the time. If all else fails, give the nurses a really hard time. That's always fun :)

colinmaydahl

I have my laptop with wifi, I have netflix so I can stream movies and such, but I can only handel so much tv/movies. I come out and go cold turkey, 2-3 days of feeling crummy but I'm stoked to be out of the hospital so it is sort of a wash.

colinmaydahl

I have my laptop with wifi, I have netflix so I can stream movies and such, but I can only handel so much tv/movies. I come out and go cold turkey, 2-3 days of feeling crummy but I'm stoked to be out of the hospital so it is sort of a wash.

colinmaydahl

E

entropy

I was in the hospital from the end of May to the end of June, half of the time I was asleep because I had to be intubated (pretty bad case of pneumonia). After I was extubated and recovering, I still had over 2 weeks of IV antibiotics to go. I wanted to get out so bad for the first few days, but after so long of being bummed out about being in the hospital I decided to make the best of it. Had the nurses wait on me hand and foot. I was at a very good hospital which had a starbucks and a cafeteria open 24/7. I ate everything I wanted and drank frappucinos all day. I was coming off narcotics too (fentanyl drip, 1.5 weeks + propofol and midazolam prn) and couldn't sleep, so they started giving me ambien which allowed me to sleep peacefully at night. This was during a serious heat wave, temperatures in the triple digits. I had the AC set to 60 degrees and had my own personal room. I had free reign of the place, was able to leave the floor, go outside, walk around... I had to change my mindset from "this is prison" to "this is a ***** nice hotel with excellent 24/7 room service, all expenses paid." After I started looking at it like this and taking advantage of the situation I actually enjoyed those last 2 weeks of being in the hospital and was actually (ironically) kind of melancholy about having to go back home.

Now, when being faced with going to the hospital, I will treat it as such and enjoy myself as much as possible. Also, being a 20 yr old male, it's quite nice being waited on hand and foot by highly attractive, personable female nurses :)

E

entropy

I was in the hospital from the end of May to the end of June, half of the time I was asleep because I had to be intubated (pretty bad case of pneumonia). After I was extubated and recovering, I still had over 2 weeks of IV antibiotics to go. I wanted to get out so bad for the first few days, but after so long of being bummed out about being in the hospital I decided to make the best of it. Had the nurses wait on me hand and foot. I was at a very good hospital which had a starbucks and a cafeteria open 24/7. I ate everything I wanted and drank frappucinos all day. I was coming off narcotics too (fentanyl drip, 1.5 weeks + propofol and midazolam prn) and couldn't sleep, so they started giving me ambien which allowed me to sleep peacefully at night. This was during a serious heat wave, temperatures in the triple digits. I had the AC set to 60 degrees and had my own personal room. I had free reign of the place, was able to leave the floor, go outside, walk around... I had to change my mindset from "this is prison" to "this is a ***** nice hotel with excellent 24/7 room service, all expenses paid." After I started looking at it like this and taking advantage of the situation I actually enjoyed those last 2 weeks of being in the hospital and was actually (ironically) kind of melancholy about having to go back home.

Now, when being faced with going to the hospital, I will treat it as such and enjoy myself as much as possible. Also, being a 20 yr old male, it's quite nice being waited on hand and foot by highly attractive, personable female nurses :)

E

entropy

<br />
<br />Now, when being faced with going to the hospital, I will treat it as such and enjoy myself as much as possible. Also, being a 20 yr old male, it's quite nice being waited on hand and foot by highly attractive, personable female nurses :)

JennifersHope

Hey Colin,

Sorry you had to go into lock up, being in the hospital is so hard. I hate it, the lack of privacy, the feelings of being bored, the fact that you have nothing better to do then think about your disease, the progress of it, where it may or may not lead and how fast it may go there.

I certainly at best am an a typical CFer...and even that is still up in the air at this point...but I have spent a very good portion of my life in the hospital.

Having a good CF team is everything... I am really, really lucky, I go to MUSC in Charleston and the team there really understands all aspects of CF, not just the disease process of it but the mental and emotional hell you go through as well.

My doctors, Dr Stenbit and Dr Flume, mostly I see Dr. Stenbit and she is amazing, but they are both great and a wonderful balance but they totally get it for me..

I had to quit working a year ago and I thought I was going to lose my mind but they were so supportive and have worked so hard to get me to have the amazing quality of life I now enjoy.

Even with that great quality of life I have it is hard because every other aspect of my life is up in the air, including disability, my house is for sale and we don't actually know what my disease process is..

Would I love to be knocked out with drugs and woken up when it is all resolved... HECK YES but Heck NO at the same time

Next time you go in, can maybe your RT take you down to the gym to exercise? I within the last year have started exercising and especially the last several months, it is a great stress reducer...

ALso, can you talk to your doctors? Are they supportive? You can always come on here and chat, or if you are on facebook. I pretty much live on there.. I would love to chat and keep you company while you are in.

I think it is great that you are being honest and looking for help.. It takes a strong person to admit what you did....

Hope you find some healthy things to entertain yourself with soon.

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Hey Colin,

Sorry you had to go into lock up, being in the hospital is so hard. I hate it, the lack of privacy, the feelings of being bored, the fact that you have nothing better to do then think about your disease, the progress of it, where it may or may not lead and how fast it may go there.

I certainly at best am an a typical CFer...and even that is still up in the air at this point...but I have spent a very good portion of my life in the hospital.

Having a good CF team is everything... I am really, really lucky, I go to MUSC in Charleston and the team there really understands all aspects of CF, not just the disease process of it but the mental and emotional hell you go through as well.

My doctors, Dr Stenbit and Dr Flume, mostly I see Dr. Stenbit and she is amazing, but they are both great and a wonderful balance but they totally get it for me..

I had to quit working a year ago and I thought I was going to lose my mind but they were so supportive and have worked so hard to get me to have the amazing quality of life I now enjoy.

Even with that great quality of life I have it is hard because every other aspect of my life is up in the air, including disability, my house is for sale and we don't actually know what my disease process is..

Would I love to be knocked out with drugs and woken up when it is all resolved... HECK YES but Heck NO at the same time

Next time you go in, can maybe your RT take you down to the gym to exercise? I within the last year have started exercising and especially the last several months, it is a great stress reducer...

ALso, can you talk to your doctors? Are they supportive? You can always come on here and chat, or if you are on facebook. I pretty much live on there.. I would love to chat and keep you company while you are in.

I think it is great that you are being honest and looking for help.. It takes a strong person to admit what you did....

Hope you find some healthy things to entertain yourself with soon.

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Hey Colin,
<br />
<br />Sorry you had to go into lock up, being in the hospital is so hard. I hate it, the lack of privacy, the feelings of being bored, the fact that you have nothing better to do then think about your disease, the progress of it, where it may or may not lead and how fast it may go there.
<br />
<br />I certainly at best am an a typical CFer...and even that is still up in the air at this point...but I have spent a very good portion of my life in the hospital.
<br />
<br />Having a good CF team is everything... I am really, really lucky, I go to MUSC in Charleston and the team there really understands all aspects of CF, not just the disease process of it but the mental and emotional hell you go through as well.
<br />
<br />My doctors, Dr Stenbit and Dr Flume, mostly I see Dr. Stenbit and she is amazing, but they are both great and a wonderful balance but they totally get it for me..
<br />
<br />I had to quit working a year ago and I thought I was going to lose my mind but they were so supportive and have worked so hard to get me to have the amazing quality of life I now enjoy.
<br />
<br />Even with that great quality of life I have it is hard because every other aspect of my life is up in the air, including disability, my house is for sale and we don't actually know what my disease process is..
<br />
<br />Would I love to be knocked out with drugs and woken up when it is all resolved... HECK YES but Heck NO at the same time
<br />
<br />Next time you go in, can maybe your RT take you down to the gym to exercise? I within the last year have started exercising and especially the last several months, it is a great stress reducer...
<br />
<br />ALso, can you talk to your doctors? Are they supportive? You can always come on here and chat, or if you are on facebook. I pretty much live on there.. I would love to chat and keep you company while you are in.
<br />
<br />I think it is great that you are being honest and looking for help.. It takes a strong person to admit what you did....
<br />
<br />Hope you find some healthy things to entertain yourself with soon.
<br />
<br />Jennifer

colinmaydahl

Jennifer-
Thanks, I used to be seen by Dr. Stenbit when she was in San Diego, she is still one of the best doctors I have ever had, I miss having her as my main CF doc. She calls it like it is, and if You want to live a long healthy life do what she says. It took me a few years to grow up and get over trying to be the normal guy in his early 20's. I partyed lots, drank a fair amount, and have a lifetime of storys of traveling around the world, and getting into all sorts of trouble.

The RT brings a exercise bike into the room for me and that keeps my body moving and works much better than vest/cpt for getting the goo out. I know that my problems will still be there when I come down off whatever they give me, it is a short fix I use when I'm locked up. I'm working on being more involved with the online community, I started a blog www.sickcyclist.com. And am working on getting a team together for a CF event in SF.

My Doc asked about the pain meds I was taking wile I was in, and I told him that I was taking them because I was bord. He is great with the physical aspects of CF, just not the mental tole it takes on You when You are bringing up blood and are locked up for weeks on end. I do have lots of sinus issues but can deal with the pain at home with Ibuprofen and sometimes a "medical" marijuana brownie or candy. The pot it does not supres my breathing, helps with anxity, appetite, and helps me not think about what pain I am having. I think it has the least side effects of any narcotic out there.

Colin
P.S. ask Dr. Stenbit about Rockys in Crown Point.

colinmaydahl

Jennifer-
Thanks, I used to be seen by Dr. Stenbit when she was in San Diego, she is still one of the best doctors I have ever had, I miss having her as my main CF doc. She calls it like it is, and if You want to live a long healthy life do what she says. It took me a few years to grow up and get over trying to be the normal guy in his early 20's. I partyed lots, drank a fair amount, and have a lifetime of storys of traveling around the world, and getting into all sorts of trouble.

The RT brings a exercise bike into the room for me and that keeps my body moving and works much better than vest/cpt for getting the goo out. I know that my problems will still be there when I come down off whatever they give me, it is a short fix I use when I'm locked up. I'm working on being more involved with the online community, I started a blog www.sickcyclist.com. And am working on getting a team together for a CF event in SF.

My Doc asked about the pain meds I was taking wile I was in, and I told him that I was taking them because I was bord. He is great with the physical aspects of CF, just not the mental tole it takes on You when You are bringing up blood and are locked up for weeks on end. I do have lots of sinus issues but can deal with the pain at home with Ibuprofen and sometimes a "medical" marijuana brownie or candy. The pot it does not supres my breathing, helps with anxity, appetite, and helps me not think about what pain I am having. I think it has the least side effects of any narcotic out there.

Colin
P.S. ask Dr. Stenbit about Rockys in Crown Point.

colinmaydahl

Jennifer-
<br />Thanks, I used to be seen by Dr. Stenbit when she was in San Diego, she is still one of the best doctors I have ever had, I miss having her as my main CF doc. She calls it like it is, and if You want to live a long healthy life do what she says. It took me a few years to grow up and get over trying to be the normal guy in his early 20's. I partyed lots, drank a fair amount, and have a lifetime of storys of traveling around the world, and getting into all sorts of trouble.
<br />
<br />The RT brings a exercise bike into the room for me and that keeps my body moving and works much better than vest/cpt for getting the goo out. I know that my problems will still be there when I come down off whatever they give me, it is a short fix I use when I'm locked up. I'm working on being more involved with the online community, I started a blog www.sickcyclist.com. And am working on getting a team together for a CF event in SF.
<br />
<br />My Doc asked about the pain meds I was taking wile I was in, and I told him that I was taking them because I was bord. He is great with the physical aspects of CF, just not the mental tole it takes on You when You are bringing up blood and are locked up for weeks on end. I do have lots of sinus issues but can deal with the pain at home with Ibuprofen and sometimes a "medical" marijuana brownie or candy. The pot it does not supres my breathing, helps with anxity, appetite, and helps me not think about what pain I am having. I think it has the least side effects of any narcotic out there.
<br />
<br />Colin
<br />P.S. ask Dr. Stenbit about Rockys in Crown Point.

JennifersHope

I most certainly will ask her about Rockys in Crown Point, I agree hands down Dr. Stenbit is the best doctor ever.. I need someone to shoot straight with me because my grip on reality is not the best when it comes to what I can and can not do.

I tend to think I am super women and can do it all, until I end up trying to do it and failing miserably because I end up sooo sick!!!!!! She literally had to put her foot down (rather hardly) in order for me to stop working.. and for as much as I whined and complained about it.. My life has never been healthier and I owe it all to her.

I still every once in a while want to argue and beg to go back to work, until I acutally work more then one day a week and end up sick.

Anyway, I am in the Dr Stenbit fan club with you.. Keep in touch with me.... I would love to talk more!!!!

Jennifer

JennifersHope

I most certainly will ask her about Rockys in Crown Point, I agree hands down Dr. Stenbit is the best doctor ever.. I need someone to shoot straight with me because my grip on reality is not the best when it comes to what I can and can not do.

I tend to think I am super women and can do it all, until I end up trying to do it and failing miserably because I end up sooo sick!!!!!! She literally had to put her foot down (rather hardly) in order for me to stop working.. and for as much as I whined and complained about it.. My life has never been healthier and I owe it all to her.

I still every once in a while want to argue and beg to go back to work, until I acutally work more then one day a week and end up sick.

Anyway, I am in the Dr Stenbit fan club with you.. Keep in touch with me.... I would love to talk more!!!!

Jennifer