This is the Internet!

cf4life

I posted a similar response in a blog, but since I am sure it will be removed shortly I would like to make the point in the forum.

We all really need to remember that this is the Internet. Things should be taken with a grain of salt and don't get personally involved or worked up in the thread responses. I post very randomly, but read alot, and I find this site very good for informational purposes. As far as a place for support, I feel that one needs to be very careful. If one thinks this can be compared to support you might get from a controlled support group then you are being very naive. The internet is a public place. Would you walk into a bar with hundreds of people and expect to get support from everyone there? Would you get on a megaphone and tell your personnel story or share your controversial views and not expect someone to strongly disagree with you? Would you not think that someone along with their friends may all disagree with you and gang up on you to make a point? Don't you think if they could hide behind a mask or identity they may be even more open in making a stronger disagreement? Don't you think someone might be rude or negative?

The internet can be great for getting and sharing information. As far as support you need to be careful. As far as sharing personal stories again, you need to be careful. Don't do anything in this forum or blog that you would not do in real life in public and remember that others don't follow this rule.

Also, one last point that has been bothering me lately. How can parents post so much information online about their children in these forums. I don't get it, I mean parents are so open to post, pictures, names, ages, birthdays, and even locations on here? I am not a parent, so maybe one can answer this more me? Given all the online horror stories, how can you post so much information on you children on here? Other than you have a child with cf age xx, what other information is really needed?

cf4life

I posted a similar response in a blog, but since I am sure it will be removed shortly I would like to make the point in the forum.

We all really need to remember that this is the Internet. Things should be taken with a grain of salt and don't get personally involved or worked up in the thread responses. I post very randomly, but read alot, and I find this site very good for informational purposes. As far as a place for support, I feel that one needs to be very careful. If one thinks this can be compared to support you might get from a controlled support group then you are being very naive. The internet is a public place. Would you walk into a bar with hundreds of people and expect to get support from everyone there? Would you get on a megaphone and tell your personnel story or share your controversial views and not expect someone to strongly disagree with you? Would you not think that someone along with their friends may all disagree with you and gang up on you to make a point? Don't you think if they could hide behind a mask or identity they may be even more open in making a stronger disagreement? Don't you think someone might be rude or negative?

The internet can be great for getting and sharing information. As far as support you need to be careful. As far as sharing personal stories again, you need to be careful. Don't do anything in this forum or blog that you would not do in real life in public and remember that others don't follow this rule.

Also, one last point that has been bothering me lately. How can parents post so much information online about their children in these forums. I don't get it, I mean parents are so open to post, pictures, names, ages, birthdays, and even locations on here? I am not a parent, so maybe one can answer this more me? Given all the online horror stories, how can you post so much information on you children on here? Other than you have a child with cf age xx, what other information is really needed?

cf4life

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>cf4life</b></i>

How can parents post so much information online about their children in these forums. I don't get it, I mean parents are so open to post, pictures, names, ages, birthdays, and even locations on here? I am not a parent, so maybe one can answer this more me? Given all the online horror stories, how can you post so much information on you children on here? Other than you have a child with cf age xx, what other information is really needed?</end quote></div>

I think this is a great point.

In their defense, I think it's purely ignorance. Many of these people are in their 40s, 50s even and just didn't grow up with the internet. They may not be as well versed in the internet as the teens, 20 somethings and some 30 somethings on here.

I was watching Oprah the other day and they were talking about scams on the internet. It <b> blew my mind </b> what people fell for. But then I thought about the target audience of that show.... mostly later 30s, 40s & 50s year old women.

These people just aren't as aware of the internet as younger people. It's not an insult. It's not looking down on someone. It's just a fact.

So I think this relates to this site. Many parents who post pics of their kids, talk about their cities in threads & blogs, etc. just don't realize what potential harm it could do. I don't think any parent would intentially put their kid in harm's way.

But thanks for posting this. Maybe it will bring the issue to their attention.

NoExcuses

How can parents post so much information online about their children in these forums. I don't get it, I mean parents are so open to post, pictures, names, ages, birthdays, and even locations on here? I am not a parent, so maybe one can answer this more me? Given all the online horror stories, how can you post so much information on you children on here? Other than you have a child with cf age xx, what other information is really needed?</end quote></div>

In their defense, I think it's purely ignorance. Many of these people are in their 40s, 50s even and just didn't grow up with the internet. They may not be as well versed in the internet as the teens, 20 somethings and some 30 somethings on here.

I was watching Oprah the other day and they were talking about scams on the internet. It <b> blew my mind </b> what people fell for. But then I thought about the target audience of that show.... mostly later 30s, 40s & 50s year old women.

These people just aren't as aware of the internet as younger people. It's not an insult. It's not looking down on someone. It's just a fact.

So I think this relates to this site. Many parents who post pics of their kids, talk about their cities in threads & blogs, etc. just don't realize what potential harm it could do. I don't think any parent would intentially put their kid in harm's way.

NoExcuses

Scarlett81

with the majority of your points-I wholeheartedly agree and was recently thinking the same things. why your point would be removed, I don't get.....? you can have this opinion if you want, what is the big deal?
i don't give out any personal info on myself or my family on this or any site. i am shocked to see people post their addresses, phone numbers and all sort of info to people that are perfect strangers-meaning 'new' people on this site that they haven't established a rapport with yet and don't know anything about, or people that they aren't close to at all.
any site-<b>any site </b>on any topic/genre can be used by people that have bad intentions. if you think cf is exempt, or it won't happen to you, you are fooling yourself.

as good as a job that our moderators do, (and thank goodness for that), there still are nutty or badly intentioned people out there that watch sites just for that reason, or misrepresent themselves. All I'll say further on that is that there are members of my family that are NYPD detectives and deal with internet related crimes-and believe me, the stories all have the same opening lines-i never thought it would happen to me, and they seemed sincerely nice....

I do think that this site be used as a support group-or maybe the right word is as a source of support. The thing w cf is that many of us can't access support groups of others w cf bc of cross contamination issues. I have gotten help with many cf related issues in my life bc of help/advice/or just the listening ear of another person on this site. But to me, Cf stays here, and my personal life stays out of it. And I've developed those relationships through pms-I don't consider every person of every thread my support group. i have one or two people that i rely on support for and thats it. and someone recently said in a blog-sorry,don't remember who it was but I totally agree, is something like 'this site is not my family'. My family is my family. Again, I restate the above-this site has helped me through some <i>tough </i>situations, and given me soooo much help. But cf stays cf only.

I think some people would think that these thoughts are complete over reaction, and they're entitled to. But I also think that some people should be a little more reserved about what they say and who to. I only say that as person that really does care about other people.

And mostly I want to add-this is in NO way a disrespect to this site, its members or moderators!

Scarlett81

with the majority of your points-I wholeheartedly agree and was recently thinking the same things. why your point would be removed, I don't get.....? you can have this opinion if you want, what is the big deal?
i don't give out any personal info on myself or my family on this or any site. i am shocked to see people post their addresses, phone numbers and all sort of info to people that are perfect strangers-meaning 'new' people on this site that they haven't established a rapport with yet and don't know anything about, or people that they aren't close to at all.
any site-<b>any site </b>on any topic/genre can be used by people that have bad intentions. if you think cf is exempt, or it won't happen to you, you are fooling yourself.

as good as a job that our moderators do, (and thank goodness for that), there still are nutty or badly intentioned people out there that watch sites just for that reason, or misrepresent themselves. All I'll say further on that is that there are members of my family that are NYPD detectives and deal with internet related crimes-and believe me, the stories all have the same opening lines-i never thought it would happen to me, and they seemed sincerely nice....

I do think that this site be used as a support group-or maybe the right word is as a source of support. The thing w cf is that many of us can't access support groups of others w cf bc of cross contamination issues. I have gotten help with many cf related issues in my life bc of help/advice/or just the listening ear of another person on this site. But to me, Cf stays here, and my personal life stays out of it. And I've developed those relationships through pms-I don't consider every person of every thread my support group. i have one or two people that i rely on support for and thats it. and someone recently said in a blog-sorry,don't remember who it was but I totally agree, is something like 'this site is not my family'. My family is my family. Again, I restate the above-this site has helped me through some <i>tough </i>situations, and given me soooo much help. But cf stays cf only.

I think some people would think that these thoughts are complete over reaction, and they're entitled to. But I also think that some people should be a little more reserved about what they say and who to. I only say that as person that really does care about other people.

And mostly I want to add-this is in NO way a disrespect to this site, its members or moderators!

Scarlett81

Scarlett81

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sakasuka</b></i>

I was watching Oprah the other day and they were talking about scams on the internet. It <b> blew my mind </b> what people fell for. .</end quote></div>

Yes, I saw what you are talking about. I was shocked too, but the common thread in all of those women was that they either really cared and wanted to help someone, or get close to someone (friendship or relationship), and they were wayyyy too trusting. I dont' think they were stupid people by any means, just way too trusting.

As far as you saying it blew my mind what people fell for....I agree. But, and I hate to say this....I have seen similar things on this site. Not criminal things!, obviously. Just people being way too naive about trusting anybody's word and giving out their personal info.

Scarlett81

I was watching Oprah the other day and they were talking about scams on the internet. It <b> blew my mind </b> what people fell for. .</end quote></div>

Yes, I saw what you are talking about. I was shocked too, but the common thread in all of those women was that they either really cared and wanted to help someone, or get close to someone (friendship or relationship), and they were wayyyy too trusting. I dont' think they were stupid people by any means, just way too trusting.

As far as you saying it blew my mind what people fell for....I agree. But, and I hate to say this....I have seen similar things on this site. Not criminal things!, obviously. Just people being way too naive about trusting anybody's word and giving out their personal info.

Scarlett81

julie

For some of us, this place is MUCH more than "just the internet". I have met, IN PERSON, lifelong friends on this website. I have been encouraged and uplifted by others, and hope that I have reciprocated the same when others need it. I have been financially assisted by members (PLURAL) of this site, and I have assisted others with necessity items. I am not a "one man show" in the aforementioned, there are many others on this site who have "stepped up to the plate" when needed and helped out financially or otherwise. So to me, this place is much more than "just the internet". This is a place where I come, where I KNOW that there are a large amount of people who understand me, who will be there for me, who really DO care about me and my family, and who know what I am going through.

As far as your comment about people being rude and negative. My personal opinion is that people won't always agree, that's a given and there is nothing wrong with that. And maybe some view that as rude or negative. So be it. But there is a point when someone is being downright nasty, and not providing anything of any use to anyone, and it takes a lot of guts to step up and call someone out privately or publically. I'm not sure if there is anything specific you were thinking about when you wrote this, but this site has cycles. Ups and downs, fights and quite times. It just does and it just is.

julie

For some of us, this place is MUCH more than "just the internet". I have met, IN PERSON, lifelong friends on this website. I have been encouraged and uplifted by others, and hope that I have reciprocated the same when others need it. I have been financially assisted by members (PLURAL) of this site, and I have assisted others with necessity items. I am not a "one man show" in the aforementioned, there are many others on this site who have "stepped up to the plate" when needed and helped out financially or otherwise. So to me, this place is much more than "just the internet". This is a place where I come, where I KNOW that there are a large amount of people who understand me, who will be there for me, who really DO care about me and my family, and who know what I am going through.

As far as your comment about people being rude and negative. My personal opinion is that people won't always agree, that's a given and there is nothing wrong with that. And maybe some view that as rude or negative. So be it. But there is a point when someone is being downright nasty, and not providing anything of any use to anyone, and it takes a lot of guts to step up and call someone out privately or publically. I'm not sure if there is anything specific you were thinking about when you wrote this, but this site has cycles. Ups and downs, fights and quite times. It just does and it just is.

julie