This makes me feel very sad

Havoc

I disagree. Pre-selecting for certain traits is closer to ethnic cleansing, which is usually one of the things that people are afraid of, along with loss of genetic diversity.

Playing god presumably would be anything that would alter the lifespan of someone and screw up "god's timing." Out of that arose the opposition to suicide, because it was taking control of your own lifespan and ending it early. It seems that most people have more of a problem with life being ended unnaturally (or screened out) rather than extended unnaturally.

Maybe we should make a poll. I'm interested to know how many people would oppose genetic screening and pre-selection, yet approve of genetic therapy (should it turn out to be possible). Is there much of a difference, scientifically, correcting a defective gene or making sure that particular mutation doesn't occur in the first place?

Havoc

I disagree. Pre-selecting for certain traits is closer to ethnic cleansing, which is usually one of the things that people are afraid of, along with loss of genetic diversity.
<br />
<br />Playing god presumably would be anything that would alter the lifespan of someone and screw up "god's timing." Out of that arose the opposition to suicide, because it was taking control of your own lifespan and ending it early. It seems that most people have more of a problem with life being ended unnaturally (or screened out) rather than extended unnaturally.
<br />
<br />Maybe we should make a poll. I'm interested to know how many people would oppose genetic screening and pre-selection, yet approve of genetic therapy (should it turn out to be possible). Is there much of a difference, scientifically, correcting a defective gene or making sure that particular mutation doesn't occur in the first place?

just1more

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i>
It seems that most people have more of a problem with life being ended unnaturally (or screened out) rather than extended unnaturally.</end quote></div>

I would have to agree on this point, the debates on taking 'God-like' steps to extend a life will never generate the heat and conflict that limiting life does.

But this topic encompasses so many controversial items (abortion, suicide, euthanasia, genetic screening, end-of-life decisions, infertility, etc) that there is very little way to discuss opening in our society without conflict.....makes it hard to even know where people 'truly' stand.

just1more

It seems that most people have more of a problem with life being ended unnaturally (or screened out) rather than extended unnaturally.</end quote>

I would have to agree on this point, the debates on taking 'God-like' steps to extend a life will never generate the heat and conflict that limiting life does.

But this topic encompasses so many controversial items (abortion, suicide, euthanasia, genetic screening, end-of-life decisions, infertility, etc) that there is very little way to discuss opening in our society without conflict.....makes it hard to even know where people 'truly' stand.

just1more

<br /> It seems that most people have more of a problem with life being ended unnaturally (or screened out) rather than extended unnaturally.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I would have to agree on this point, the debates on taking 'God-like' steps to extend a life will never generate the heat and conflict that limiting life does.
<br />
<br />But this topic encompasses so many controversial items (abortion, suicide, euthanasia, genetic screening, end-of-life decisions, infertility, etc) that there is very little way to discuss opening in our society without conflict.....makes it hard to even know where people 'truly' stand.

musclemania70

Well then, we need to figure out a way to start screening for ignorance, stupidity, laziness, obesity, irresponsibility, ugliness, alcoholism, self-absorbtion, to name a few. Because everyone knows someeone affected by these unbearable traits and heaven knows these people bring absolutely NO GOOD WHATSOEVER INTO THE WORLD. We should just prevent them from even being born.

musclemania70

Well then, we need to figure out a way to start screening for ignorance, stupidity, laziness, obesity, irresponsibility, ugliness, alcoholism, self-absorbtion, to name a few. Because everyone knows someeone affected by these unbearable traits and heaven knows these people bring absolutely NO GOOD WHATSOEVER INTO THE WORLD. We should just prevent them from even being born.

musclemania70

Havoc

Bringing emotions to a debate is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. This is what Just1more was talking about. We can't have a meaningful conversation because people get their knickers in a twist.

Havoc

Bringing emotions to a debate is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. This is what Just1more was talking about. We can't have a meaningful conversation because people get their knickers in a twist.

Havoc