Tips for Hospital Stays for Babies/Toddlers

schmj4910

I saw so many posts about culturing PA for the first time and 2 week hospital stays for babies and toddlers that I wanted to start a new topic just on tips and suggestions.  We had our first hospital stay in April when our son was 19 months old.  It was very scary for us, as well as him.  Here are some things we did to "survive"...<br><br>-Bring a Pack N Play.  Our son had a picc and when he was on the IV, we put him in the Pack N Play so he couldn't move around too much.  He would play with toys or watch movies in there.  When the IV was done, we took him out.<br><br>-We rolled the crib out of the room and used the Pack N Play for sleeping, too.  Our son was deathly afraid of the crib and it took up too much room.<br><br>-Be prepared to stay 24/7.  That includes sleeping in the room.  Our hospital had a loveseat that pulled out into a bed, but it was terrible to lay on!  We brought our camping air mattress and put that on top...so much better!<br><br>-Don't be afraid to adjust the thermostat.  We were sweating, before we decided to just turn it down ourselves.<br><br>-Bring diapers, wipes, and some sort of changing pad.  The hospital supplies diapers and wipes, but the wipes were really harsh and caused a rash and the nurses constantly forgot to bring more diapers.  There was no changing area (I suppose they wanted me to use the crib, but I rolled it out, oops!  But that's gross anyway!).  <br><br>-My biggest regret was that our son crawled all over the dirty floor and constantly put his hands in his mouth.  The cleaning crew does come in everyday to clean the floor, but then everyone walks all over it with their dirty shoes!  If you could find those slip-over booty things that they have at open houses, that would be money well spent.<br><br>-Tell/post your child's schedule and make sure everyone follows it.  They had our 19-month-old's meds coming in at 9:00 PM!  Have they heard of a bedtime?  It will take a few days to get everything straightened out.  Also demand that your child be allowed uninterrupted nap time.  This was a huge problem for us.  People just kept coming in!  It was bad enough being stuck in a hospital room for 2 weeks, but now we had to deal with an over-tired, cranky, sick baby!  <br><br>Please add any advice, suggestions, regrets, etc.<br><br>Thanks!<br>

schmj4910

I saw so many posts about culturing PA for the first time and 2 week hospital stays for babies and toddlers that I wanted to start a new topic just on tips and suggestions. We had our first hospital stay in April when our son was 19 months old. It was very scary for us, as well as him. Here are some things we did to "survive"...<br><br>-Bring a Pack N Play. Our son had a picc and when he was on the IV, we put him in the Pack N Play so he couldn't move around too much. He would play with toys or watch movies in there. When the IV was done, we took him out.<br><br>-We rolled the crib out of the room and used the Pack N Play for sleeping, too. Our son was deathly afraid of the crib and it took up too much room.<br><br>-Be prepared to stay 24/7. That includes sleeping in the room. Our hospital had a loveseat that pulled out into a bed, but it was terrible to lay on! We brought our camping air mattress and put that on top...so much better!<br><br>-Don't be afraid to adjust the thermostat. We were sweating, before we decided to just turn it down ourselves.<br><br>-Bring diapers, wipes, and some sort of changing pad. The hospital supplies diapers and wipes, but the wipes were really harsh and caused a rash and the nurses constantly forgot to bring more diapers. There was no changing area (I suppose they wanted me to use the crib, but I rolled it out, oops! But that's gross anyway!). <br><br>-My biggest regret was that our son crawled all over the dirty floor and constantly put his hands in his mouth. The cleaning crew does come in everyday to clean the floor, but then everyone walks all over it with their dirty shoes! If you could find those slip-over booty things that they have at open houses, that would be money well spent.<br><br>-Tell/post your child's schedule and make sure everyone follows it. They had our 19-month-old's meds coming in at 9:00 PM! Have they heard of a bedtime? It will take a few days to get everything straightened out. Also demand that your child be allowed uninterrupted nap time. This was a huge problem for us. People just kept coming in! It was bad enough being stuck in a hospital room for 2 weeks, but now we had to deal with an over-tired, cranky, sick baby! <br><br>Please add any advice, suggestions, regrets, etc.<br><br>Thanks!<br>

schmj4910

I saw so many posts about culturing PA for the first time and 2 week hospital stays for babies and toddlers that I wanted to start a new topic just on tips and suggestions. We had our first hospital stay in April when our son was 19 months old. It was very scary for us, as well as him. Here are some things we did to "survive"...<br><br>-Bring a Pack N Play. Our son had a picc and when he was on the IV, we put him in the Pack N Play so he couldn't move around too much. He would play with toys or watch movies in there. When the IV was done, we took him out.<br><br>-We rolled the crib out of the room and used the Pack N Play for sleeping, too. Our son was deathly afraid of the crib and it took up too much room.<br><br>-Be prepared to stay 24/7. That includes sleeping in the room. Our hospital had a loveseat that pulled out into a bed, but it was terrible to lay on! We brought our camping air mattress and put that on top...so much better!<br><br>-Don't be afraid to adjust the thermostat. We were sweating, before we decided to just turn it down ourselves.<br><br>-Bring diapers, wipes, and some sort of changing pad. The hospital supplies diapers and wipes, but the wipes were really harsh and caused a rash and the nurses constantly forgot to bring more diapers. There was no changing area (I suppose they wanted me to use the crib, but I rolled it out, oops! But that's gross anyway!). <br><br>-My biggest regret was that our son crawled all over the dirty floor and constantly put his hands in his mouth. The cleaning crew does come in everyday to clean the floor, but then everyone walks all over it with their dirty shoes! If you could find those slip-over booty things that they have at open houses, that would be money well spent.<br><br>-Tell/post your child's schedule and make sure everyone follows it. They had our 19-month-old's meds coming in at 9:00 PM! Have they heard of a bedtime? It will take a few days to get everything straightened out. Also demand that your child be allowed uninterrupted nap time. This was a huge problem for us. People just kept coming in! It was bad enough being stuck in a hospital room for 2 weeks, but now we had to deal with an over-tired, cranky, sick baby! <br><br>Please add any advice, suggestions, regrets, etc.<br><br>Thanks!<br>

Caro46

... I agree with the above statement! Amazing, and very brave...

We've had a few hospital visits with Anna, who is 26 months now. On her last trip to hospital we had a moment where Anna was sleeping and I left the room briefly, to dash off to have a quick shower while I could. While I was gone, one of the nurses decided it was a good opportunity to go in and take her temperature and give her some medicine, so I came back to a screaming, terrified child, who'd woken up to a stranger putting a syringe full of medicine in her mouth. We (my husband and I) made a big point after that to the nurses and doctors that no-one could do anything to her unless we are there (unless an absolute emergency of course). We are by her side at all times, at least one of us - apart from necessary loo breaks! And I understand that nurses have challenging jobs at times, and most of the times, in our experience, Anna has been treated very kindly and gently, but sometimes, trauma can be easily avoided! In the strange environment that is hospital, we are quite protective, but feel that it's totally necessary since she's still so young... On the entertainment front, it's generally TV overload! But we try a lot of reading and colouring, and whenever she has an opportunity, we take her for a walk in the fresh air, around the hospital...

Caro46

We've had a few hospital visits with Anna, who is 26 months now. On her last trip to hospital we had a moment where Anna was sleeping and I left the room briefly, to dash off to have a quick shower while I could. While I was gone, one of the nurses decided it was a good opportunity to go in and take her temperature and give her some medicine, so I came back to a screaming, terrified child, who'd woken up to a stranger putting a syringe full of medicine in her mouth. We (my husband and I) made a big point after that to the nurses and doctors that no-one could do anything to her unless we are there (unless an absolute emergency of course). We are by her side at all times, at least one of us - apart from necessary loo breaks! And I understand that nurses have challenging jobs at times, and most of the times, in our experience, Anna has been treated very kindly and gently, but sometimes, trauma can be easily avoided! In the strange environment that is hospital, we are quite protective, but feel that it's totally necessary since she's still so young... On the entertainment front, it's generally TV overload! But we try a lot of reading and colouring, and whenever she has an opportunity, we take her for a walk in the fresh air, around the hospital...

Caro46

<br />
<br />We've had a few hospital visits with Anna, who is 26 months now. On her last trip to hospital we had a moment where Anna was sleeping and I left the room briefly, to dash off to have a quick shower while I could. While I was gone, one of the nurses decided it was a good opportunity to go in and take her temperature and give her some medicine, so I came back to a screaming, terrified child, who'd woken up to a stranger putting a syringe full of medicine in her mouth. We (my husband and I) made a big point after that to the nurses and doctors that no-one could do anything to her unless we are there (unless an absolute emergency of course). We are by her side at all times, at least one of us - apart from necessary loo breaks! And I understand that nurses have challenging jobs at times, and most of the times, in our experience, Anna has been treated very kindly and gently, but sometimes, trauma can be easily avoided! In the strange environment that is hospital, we are quite protective, but feel that it's totally necessary since she's still so young... On the entertainment front, it's generally TV overload! But we try a lot of reading and colouring, and whenever she has an opportunity, we take her for a walk in the fresh air, around the hospital...

imported_Momto2

schmj, love the advice list! I know my parents went through hell when I was baby/toddler. One thing I would add (as a parent myself, and as a kid who had countless health professionals lie to her) is that you DONT want to lie to your kid. If its going to hurt, be honest. Another thing I would add is be very aware of who is and is not washing their hands and taking appropriate hygenic precautions. (This is also a way to keep misc people from bothering your child unless they absolutely have to, if they know you will insist on gloves, mask, etc)

Sounds like you are doing a terrific job schmj : ) I'm an adoptive parent as well.

imported_Momto2

schmj, love the advice list! I know my parents went through hell when I was baby/toddler. One thing I would add (as a parent myself, and as a kid who had countless health professionals lie to her) is that you DONT want to lie to your kid. If its going to hurt, be honest. Another thing I would add is be very aware of who is and is not washing their hands and taking appropriate hygenic precautions. (This is also a way to keep misc people from bothering your child unless they absolutely have to, if they know you will insist on gloves, mask, etc)

Sounds like you are doing a terrific job schmj : ) I'm an adoptive parent as well.

imported_Momto2

<br />
<br /> Sounds like you are doing a terrific job schmj : ) I'm an adoptive parent as well.

CJPsMom

Thanks to everyone who posted on this. We avoided the hospital stay this time, but are awaiting the results of the bronch. If things are growing in that...we're likely headed back for another bronch (after Tobi is done) and if it doesn't look better...we'll be inpatient then.

We've had a couple of hospital stays, but they've been short. His longest was the NICU and that's different - as he didn't know who we were then!

CJPsMom

Thanks to everyone who posted on this. We avoided the hospital stay this time, but are awaiting the results of the bronch. If things are growing in that...we're likely headed back for another bronch (after Tobi is done) and if it doesn't look better...we'll be inpatient then.

We've had a couple of hospital stays, but they've been short. His longest was the NICU and that's different - as he didn't know who we were then!

CJPsMom

<br />
<br />We've had a couple of hospital stays, but they've been short. His longest was the NICU and that's different - as he didn't know who we were then!

Printer

OMG. We need a peads nurse to discuss this from the other side. I bet he/she could have alot to add/

Printer

OMG. We need a peads nurse to discuss this from the other side. I bet he/she could have alot to add/

Printer

JENNYC

We have had nurses miss giving Abby her IV meds several times which was no big deal we just reminded them that it was time, I only had one nurse argue with me. So very important to know what meds are due when. We also had one come in to do her vitals in the middle of the night and instead of sticking the thermometer under her arm...she stuck it in her mouth while she was sound asleep and she jumped up and nearly rammed it down her throat...I was so mad. There was no sense in that. We have hospital stays all the time and that is the first and better be the last time that has ever happened. I am not knocking nurses because some of the most wonderful people that we have had the pleasure of meeting is our nurses, but there are some that just don't think. On a happier note....

For the tad bit older kids...(shes been doing most of this since she was 3) I always make a run to Hobby Lobby or Walmart and pick up tedious crafts to do to keep her busy and still. She loves to make those weave craft potholders and give out to the drs and nurses. Crafts are always a favorite of ours to do together in the hospital. She also enjoys puzzles, playdough, jewelry making, board games and those iron together dots that make all kind of things.

Another must that I always do is food! We don't like hospital food and neither do our kids (who need calories). So I always bring a ton of snacks, chips, calorie drinks, and what ever else I can think of that is easy for her to eat.

We also pack a camera because we have such great times playing and want to capture our memories of the fun stuff there. I always bring out the pictures before we go to remind her of all the fun things that we do, so she won't focus on the bad.

I also bring her favorite blanket, pillow and stuffed animal for her to sleep with so she will feel more at home.

I also try to find a new disney movie that we have not seen yet, and we pop some popcorn and have a movie night as well. She loves that.

JENNYC

We have had nurses miss giving Abby her IV meds several times which was no big deal we just reminded them that it was time, I only had one nurse argue with me. So very important to know what meds are due when. We also had one come in to do her vitals in the middle of the night and instead of sticking the thermometer under her arm...she stuck it in her mouth while she was sound asleep and she jumped up and nearly rammed it down her throat...I was so mad. There was no sense in that. We have hospital stays all the time and that is the first and better be the last time that has ever happened. I am not knocking nurses because some of the most wonderful people that we have had the pleasure of meeting is our nurses, but there are some that just don't think. On a happier note....

For the tad bit older kids...(shes been doing most of this since she was 3) I always make a run to Hobby Lobby or Walmart and pick up tedious crafts to do to keep her busy and still. She loves to make those weave craft potholders and give out to the drs and nurses. Crafts are always a favorite of ours to do together in the hospital. She also enjoys puzzles, playdough, jewelry making, board games and those iron together dots that make all kind of things.

Another must that I always do is food! We don't like hospital food and neither do our kids (who need calories). So I always bring a ton of snacks, chips, calorie drinks, and what ever else I can think of that is easy for her to eat.

We also pack a camera because we have such great times playing and want to capture our memories of the fun stuff there. I always bring out the pictures before we go to remind her of all the fun things that we do, so she won't focus on the bad.

I also bring her favorite blanket, pillow and stuffed animal for her to sleep with so she will feel more at home.

I also try to find a new disney movie that we have not seen yet, and we pop some popcorn and have a movie night as well. She loves that.