to breastfeed or not to breastfeed...

mom4holly

I agree that breastfeeding if you can would be the best option for any child but even more of a child with CF. I breastfeed both of my children though I didn't know that my daughter had CF until she was 4. The DF508 gene is pretty common on this site so you can get some good information about the commonality of digestive problems with this gene on here. I have heard a lof of people with this gene that do have digestion issues. My daughter also has R117H & has no digestive problems as we speak.

If you can breastfeed I say go for it, or atleast try to pump. If you can't then speak to the dr about a good formula for the baby.

Good luck.

mom4holly

I agree that breastfeeding if you can would be the best option for any child but even more of a child with CF. I breastfeed both of my children though I didn't know that my daughter had CF until she was 4. The DF508 gene is pretty common on this site so you can get some good information about the commonality of digestive problems with this gene on here. I have heard a lof of people with this gene that do have digestion issues. My daughter also has R117H & has no digestive problems as we speak.

If you can breastfeed I say go for it, or atleast try to pump. If you can't then speak to the dr about a good formula for the baby.

Good luck.

mom4holly

Good luck.

mom4holly

Good luck.

mom4holly

Good luck.

kale65

I'm new to the forum, but have a 4 month old little girl, diagnosed with CF at birth. I had planned to breast feed from the day i found out I was pregnant. We have another child (5 years and no CF) and I failed miserably at breastfeeding her and felt the need to try again. After a month, I found that I could not keep up with my daughters calorie demands. She was on enzymes, however she never seemed satisfied from just breastfeeding. Of course, this depends on the insufficiency of the baby's pancreas. The dietician at the CF clinic I go to, told me not to feel pressure to solely breastfeed. If I wasn't enjoying the experience of breastfeeding, the baby was not going to either. At two months I started supplementing with formula and it worked great. I know the importance of DHA found in breast milk, however a lot of formula also has DHA these days. The breast milk was great for her digestion and immune system and the formula help with her weight gain because of the calories it has. Again, it is what you are comfortable with, but I thought I would lend you what works for me.

kale65

I'm new to the forum, but have a 4 month old little girl, diagnosed with CF at birth. I had planned to breast feed from the day i found out I was pregnant. We have another child (5 years and no CF) and I failed miserably at breastfeeding her and felt the need to try again. After a month, I found that I could not keep up with my daughters calorie demands. She was on enzymes, however she never seemed satisfied from just breastfeeding. Of course, this depends on the insufficiency of the baby's pancreas. The dietician at the CF clinic I go to, told me not to feel pressure to solely breastfeed. If I wasn't enjoying the experience of breastfeeding, the baby was not going to either. At two months I started supplementing with formula and it worked great. I know the importance of DHA found in breast milk, however a lot of formula also has DHA these days. The breast milk was great for her digestion and immune system and the formula help with her weight gain because of the calories it has. Again, it is what you are comfortable with, but I thought I would lend you what works for me.

kale65

kale65

kale65

kale65

Another note:

My daughter has two mutations of the DF508 gene.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mom of a BEAUTIFUL baby girl named Kale.

kale65

Another note:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kale65

Another note:

kale65

Another note:

kale65

Another note:

HollyAnnsMom

Hi there my little girl is four months old and has cf. She has been breastfed exclusively from the start and is doing wonderful. She also takes axid for reflux and enzymes and her vitamin. Our CF team think that it's wonderful that she is on breastmilk because what could be better than what God intended for them to have. Good Luck!

HollyAnnsMom

Hi there my little girl is four months old and has cf. She has been breastfed exclusively from the start and is doing wonderful. She also takes axid for reflux and enzymes and her vitamin. Our CF team think that it's wonderful that she is on breastmilk because what could be better than what God intended for them to have. Good Luck!

HollyAnnsMom

HollyAnnsMom

HollyAnnsMom