To Clear up about SSDI and

julie

To Clear up about SSDI and working

I believe this question was already answered but just in case it wasn't...

1. The $720 a month limit is from EARNED INCOME only. It doesn't include whatever you are getting for SSDI. So for those 9 "trial work months" you would get both your SSDI benefits PLUS whatever you earn from working.

2. Carly, the information you've been given about $800 is incorrect. SSDI is a FEDERALLY funded program and therefore SSDI rules and regulations are THE SAME in all 50 states.
However, SSI benefits (different from SSDI) vary state to state because some states provide a food allowance in their SSI benefit, and some of the income limits based on family size for SSI vary from state to state because of cost of living differences.
As far as figuring out what you are able to earn before you are over income for your medicaid, that varies state to state because medicAID is a state funded program and is NOT federally funded. So check with your states Social and Health Services office to find out what the income limit is for a household of your size, and ask if they grant any deductions for people with disabilities (some states do).

3. Jennifer, if you are making $987 a month, EACH of those months are counting as your "9 trial months". Once you reach 9 months of trial months (consecuitive or not, they tally them in a rolling 60 month window). Because you are not making $1000 or more (the amount they consider substantial), they won't take away ALL of your SSDI benefits, but they will deduct (based on a formula) money from your SSDI by taking into account and calculating your earned income. I'll see if I can find that formula on SSA's website, they've moved everything around so none of my bookmarks are functioning anymore.

julie

1. The $720 a month limit is from EARNED INCOME only. It doesn't include whatever you are getting for SSDI. So for those 9 "trial work months" you would get both your SSDI benefits PLUS whatever you earn from working.

2. Carly, the information you've been given about $800 is incorrect. SSDI is a FEDERALLY funded program and therefore SSDI rules and regulations are THE SAME in all 50 states.
However, SSI benefits (different from SSDI) vary state to state because some states provide a food allowance in their SSI benefit, and some of the income limits based on family size for SSI vary from state to state because of cost of living differences.
As far as figuring out what you are able to earn before you are over income for your medicaid, that varies state to state because medicAID is a state funded program and is NOT federally funded. So check with your states Social and Health Services office to find out what the income limit is for a household of your size, and ask if they grant any deductions for people with disabilities (some states do).

3. Jennifer, if you are making $987 a month, EACH of those months are counting as your "9 trial months". Once you reach 9 months of trial months (consecuitive or not, they tally them in a rolling 60 month window). Because you are not making $1000 or more (the amount they consider substantial), they won't take away ALL of your SSDI benefits, but they will deduct (based on a formula) money from your SSDI by taking into account and calculating your earned income. I'll see if I can find that formula on SSA's website, they've moved everything around so none of my bookmarks are functioning anymore.

julie

<br />
<br />1. The $720 a month limit is from EARNED INCOME only. It doesn't include whatever you are getting for SSDI. So for those 9 "trial work months" you would get both your SSDI benefits PLUS whatever you earn from working.
<br />
<br />2. Carly, the information you've been given about $800 is incorrect. SSDI is a FEDERALLY funded program and therefore SSDI rules and regulations are THE SAME in all 50 states.
<br />However, SSI benefits (different from SSDI) vary state to state because some states provide a food allowance in their SSI benefit, and some of the income limits based on family size for SSI vary from state to state because of cost of living differences.
<br />As far as figuring out what you are able to earn before you are over income for your medicaid, that varies state to state because medicAID is a state funded program and is NOT federally funded. So check with your states Social and Health Services office to find out what the income limit is for a household of your size, and ask if they grant any deductions for people with disabilities (some states do).
<br />
<br />3. Jennifer, if you are making $987 a month, EACH of those months are counting as your "9 trial months". Once you reach 9 months of trial months (consecuitive or not, they tally them in a rolling 60 month window). Because you are not making $1000 or more (the amount they consider substantial), they won't take away ALL of your SSDI benefits, but they will deduct (based on a formula) money from your SSDI by taking into account and calculating your earned income. I'll see if I can find that formula on SSA's website, they've moved everything around so none of my bookmarks are functioning anymore.

julie

More info that might be useful, particularly if you exhaust your 9 month trial work period and no longer get SSDI benefits because you are earning at a substantial level, but still want to recieve medicare benefits!!!

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10095.html#part9">http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10095.html#part9</a>

julie

More info that might be useful, particularly if you exhaust your 9 month trial work period and no longer get SSDI benefits because you are earning at a substantial level, but still want to recieve medicare benefits!!!

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10095.html#part9">http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10095.html#part9</a>

julie

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10095.html#part9">http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10095.html#part9</a>

JennifersHope

Thanks Julie, I would be very interested in that formula, since I never heard of it. I will drop down to 760 a month if I have to but as it is I barely work four days a month and I am just at under a thousand.

JennifersHope

Thanks Julie, I would be very interested in that formula, since I never heard of it. I will drop down to 760 a month if I have to but as it is I barely work four days a month and I am just at under a thousand.

JennifersHope

carly23

See i was told i culd earn up to 800$ working from my social worker at my cf clinic??she said by law i can earn up to that much without it afectn my ssdi so im confused lol

carly23

See i was told i culd earn up to 800$ working from my social worker at my cf clinic??she said by law i can earn up to that much without it afectn my ssdi so im confused lol

carly23

chantelfox

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if any one will see this since I'm a bit (very) late to this thread, but I am currently unemployed due to the decline in my health. It was very hard to maintain my health and work full-time. I was getting sick a lot and my baseline FEV1 fell 10% in a year (which is huge for me). My husband is supporting us, but he doesn't even make enough to make ends meet. We can't afford my meds. How did your guys begin the process for SSDI and state/federal health insurance? How do I know if my health is bad enough to begin the process? How did you guys know? Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it any I can get, since I am SO confused and stressed about my situation.

chantelfox

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if any one will see this since I'm a bit (very) late to this thread, but I am currently unemployed due to the decline in my health. It was very hard to maintain my health and work full-time. I was getting sick a lot and my baseline FEV1 fell 10% in a year (which is huge for me). My husband is supporting us, but he doesn't even make enough to make ends meet. We can't afford my meds. How did your guys begin the process for SSDI and state/federal health insurance? How do I know if my health is bad enough to begin the process? How did you guys know? Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it any I can get, since I am SO confused and stressed about my situation.

chantelfox

JennifersHope

I used Beth Sufian, she is the CF lawyer. She has a grant from Tobi that will help you with the initial application. If you are denied and you need to appeal, then you are charged the typical amount fee that is allowed by law, that all a laywers use.

I love Beth, I actually consider her to be one of my friends now, We keep in touch and her compassion is amazing. Her entire staff were beyond helpful

Julie is another girl on here who is not a lawyer but she runs a non profit organization. DACF I think is the name of it. I know people have had luck with her as well. I am not sure what would happen if you were denied and had to go to court though since she is not a lawyer, I do know she has helped a lot of people

I am sure she will respond when she see's this. To get in touch with Beth the CF lawyer, call 1 713 224 1166

Good Luck.

JennifersHope

I used Beth Sufian, she is the CF lawyer. She has a grant from Tobi that will help you with the initial application. If you are denied and you need to appeal, then you are charged the typical amount fee that is allowed by law, that all a laywers use.

I love Beth, I actually consider her to be one of my friends now, We keep in touch and her compassion is amazing. Her entire staff were beyond helpful

Julie is another girl on here who is not a lawyer but she runs a non profit organization. DACF I think is the name of it. I know people have had luck with her as well. I am not sure what would happen if you were denied and had to go to court though since she is not a lawyer, I do know she has helped a lot of people

I am sure she will respond when she see's this. To get in touch with Beth the CF lawyer, call 1 713 224 1166

Good Luck.

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />I love Beth, I actually consider her to be one of my friends now, We keep in touch and her compassion is amazing. Her entire staff were beyond helpful
<br />
<br />Julie is another girl on here who is not a lawyer but she runs a non profit organization. DACF I think is the name of it. I know people have had luck with her as well. I am not sure what would happen if you were denied and had to go to court though since she is not a lawyer, I do know she has helped a lot of people
<br />
<br />I am sure she will respond when she see's this. To get in touch with Beth the CF lawyer, call 1 713 224 1166
<br />
<br />Good Luck.

musclemania70

No one said anything here about deducting your out of pocket health expenses from your gross income.
That is the only way I have qualified for SSDI in the past while still working, even after the trial period ended. I could still earn over the threshold by deducting copays and other medical expenses.
Maybe I'm flying under the radar for it?

musclemania70

No one said anything here about deducting your out of pocket health expenses from your gross income.
That is the only way I have qualified for SSDI in the past while still working, even after the trial period ended. I could still earn over the threshold by deducting copays and other medical expenses.
Maybe I'm flying under the radar for it?