To G Tube or not?

Foody

We all have to make tough choices on behalf of our children. Like Karon mentioned CF is different for each person and the challenges of one family/child are not the ones of an other. While I'm sure there are some cases where different approaches or better information may have avoided G-tube, you can't make a general statement that they are never needed. Making parents who struggle through this challenge feel they are harming their child is not helpful.

Much support to all of you loving and caring for your CF kids...

Foody

We all have to make tough choices on behalf of our children. Like Karon mentioned CF is different for each person and the challenges of one family/child are not the ones of an other. While I'm sure there are some cases where different approaches or better information may have avoided G-tube, you can't make a general statement that they are never needed. Making parents who struggle through this challenge feel they are harming their child is not helpful.

Foody

kybert

since when did i make a general statement that they arent needed? i made a statement that they are overused.

kybert

since when did i make a general statement that they arent needed? i made a statement that they are overused.

kybert

3timesthefun

Thanks for all of the input, it is so nice to hear from others who have gone through similar sitauations. I am in aggreeance with Jodyand Karon, I think negative statements about g tubes disfiguring our children is a little harsh. We are all out to do what is best for our children, none of us wants to permanently scar them if uneeded. I think in the long run, adding years to our children's lives any way we can, far out weighs a scar on the abdomen. Unfortunately for my kids it will be just one of the many scars they already have.

3timesthefun

Thanks for all of the input, it is so nice to hear from others who have gone through similar sitauations. I am in aggreeance with Jodyand Karon, I think negative statements about g tubes disfiguring our children is a little harsh. We are all out to do what is best for our children, none of us wants to permanently scar them if uneeded. I think in the long run, adding years to our children's lives any way we can, far out weighs a scar on the abdomen. Unfortunately for my kids it will be just one of the many scars they already have.

3timesthefun

dasjsmum

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>karon72</b></i>

Jo,

Thanks for the links!</end quote></div>

No worries Karon

Hope it is helpful to some of you!

dasjsmum

Jo,

No worries Karon

dasjsmum

Jo,

No worries Karon

jen21661

My son had had a g-tube since he was 4 months old. He is now going to be 6 years old in April. It's been a complete blessing!

jen21661

My son had had a g-tube since he was 4 months old. He is now going to be 6 years old in April. It's been a complete blessing!

jen21661

creation301

Jody,
Hey, do you think you could pass my name on to this mom you were talking about in your post about the child with multiple food allergies? Our daughter has a ton of allergies (as do our two older boys-to wheat, corn, soy,eggs, milk, beef, oats, and barley). Rachel is at the 50% now and we are thrilled, becuase 6 months ago the dr's were strongle reccommending the g-button because she was not even on the chart (I think minus 3%). Anyway, PRAISE THE LORD she has gained weight, now we are into a whole new food challenging stage. She doesn't want to eat again. We eat pretty healthy, and she loves vegetables, of course dunked in as much olive oil as we can get in her, and the flax and coconut are a constant at our house. However, we still need more calories like just about every other cf mom- only we have a lot of restrictions on our diet and she still has a tiny appetite. I know that there are some natural things out there to increase appetite, however I don't know how it meshes with the other cf med's. I know even natural stuff often has strong side effects otherwise we wouldn't use them but I was wondering if you have any insight? If you have any ideas or could connect me with this mom I would be greatly apprecitative. Thank you
Tiffany

creation301

Jody,
Hey, do you think you could pass my name on to this mom you were talking about in your post about the child with multiple food allergies? Our daughter has a ton of allergies (as do our two older boys-to wheat, corn, soy,eggs, milk, beef, oats, and barley). Rachel is at the 50% now and we are thrilled, becuase 6 months ago the dr's were strongle reccommending the g-button because she was not even on the chart (I think minus 3%). Anyway, PRAISE THE LORD she has gained weight, now we are into a whole new food challenging stage. She doesn't want to eat again. We eat pretty healthy, and she loves vegetables, of course dunked in as much olive oil as we can get in her, and the flax and coconut are a constant at our house. However, we still need more calories like just about every other cf mom- only we have a lot of restrictions on our diet and she still has a tiny appetite. I know that there are some natural things out there to increase appetite, however I don't know how it meshes with the other cf med's. I know even natural stuff often has strong side effects otherwise we wouldn't use them but I was wondering if you have any insight? If you have any ideas or could connect me with this mom I would be greatly apprecitative. Thank you
Tiffany

creation301

Jody,
Tiffany

Foody

I PM'd you with some ideas/thoughts. Hope it helps. I feel you with the food allergies. We have dairy and wheat and trouble with too much soy or soy oils (like fried foods from restaurants).

Foody

I PM'd you with some ideas/thoughts. Hope it helps. I feel you with the food allergies. We have dairy and wheat and trouble with too much soy or soy oils (like fried foods from restaurants).