Transplant Thank-You

D

donny71

So I am getting close to the 3 month post mark. One of the requirements in this transplant program is a letter to the family thanking them. I think it is a great and wonderful Idea! But the only problem is I am having great difficulty expressing myself, I think it is that I don't want to remind them of their loss, and I'm just not sure I will be able to express just how grateful I am for a second chance.

help!

D

donny71

So I am getting close to the 3 month post mark. One of the requirements in this transplant program is a letter to the family thanking them. I think it is a great and wonderful Idea! But the only problem is I am having great difficulty expressing myself, I think it is that I don't want to remind them of their loss, and I'm just not sure I will be able to express just how grateful I am for a second chance.

help!

D

donny71

help!

D

donny71

help!

D

donny71

help!

Transplantmommy

Hi there. Did your center also tell you that you should wait about a year before you write it? That is what the "norm" is for a lot of transplant centers. I wrote my letter about a week before my first anniversary and I'm sure that they probably didn't get it until about a month later because of the process has to go through to get to the donor family.

In my letter I thanked them and I also wrote a little about myself and why I needed the transplants (I had double lung and liver all from the same donor) and how my life was better because of their generous gift. I can't really tell you what they will want to hear, but being that you only had yours three months ago, I would wait a little longer. I'm going to write another letter in January near my 2nd anniversary. I have not heard back from the family and don't know if I will ever do, but I think they need to know how much they have helped me and my family (I am married and have a son).

Good luck with writing yours and congratulations on the new transplant!!! How are you feeling?

Transplantmommy

Hi there. Did your center also tell you that you should wait about a year before you write it? That is what the "norm" is for a lot of transplant centers. I wrote my letter about a week before my first anniversary and I'm sure that they probably didn't get it until about a month later because of the process has to go through to get to the donor family.

In my letter I thanked them and I also wrote a little about myself and why I needed the transplants (I had double lung and liver all from the same donor) and how my life was better because of their generous gift. I can't really tell you what they will want to hear, but being that you only had yours three months ago, I would wait a little longer. I'm going to write another letter in January near my 2nd anniversary. I have not heard back from the family and don't know if I will ever do, but I think they need to know how much they have helped me and my family (I am married and have a son).

Good luck with writing yours and congratulations on the new transplant!!! How are you feeling?

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />In my letter I thanked them and I also wrote a little about myself and why I needed the transplants (I had double lung and liver all from the same donor) and how my life was better because of their generous gift. I can't really tell you what they will want to hear, but being that you only had yours three months ago, I would wait a little longer. I'm going to write another letter in January near my 2nd anniversary. I have not heard back from the family and don't know if I will ever do, but I think they need to know how much they have helped me and my family (I am married and have a son).
<br />
<br />Good luck with writing yours and congratulations on the new transplant!!! How are you feeling?

D

donny71

From what I recall the coordinator made it sound like it had to be done before I leave here (which may be by the end of the week). But it seems like it would be a little easier to write if I had some time to "put some milage" on these lungs and really start to experience a new life, I mean I have been stuck here doing rehab, so haven't gone back to "normal" stuff yet...maybe I'll ask them again... seems like it would be a better idea to write it later.

But anyway, I am doing fantastic, doing so well they might let me go home a week earlier on "good behavior" just have to get a bronch done tuesday to have a look at the new breathers, and a CT of my sinuses and chest on thursday, and a VQ same day. But yeah, just doing really well my FEV1 is up to 81! highest its been since grade 6 haha!

D

donny71

From what I recall the coordinator made it sound like it had to be done before I leave here (which may be by the end of the week). But it seems like it would be a little easier to write if I had some time to "put some milage" on these lungs and really start to experience a new life, I mean I have been stuck here doing rehab, so haven't gone back to "normal" stuff yet...maybe I'll ask them again... seems like it would be a better idea to write it later.

But anyway, I am doing fantastic, doing so well they might let me go home a week earlier on "good behavior" just have to get a bronch done tuesday to have a look at the new breathers, and a CT of my sinuses and chest on thursday, and a VQ same day. But yeah, just doing really well my FEV1 is up to 81! highest its been since grade 6 haha!

D

donny71

D

donny71

D

donny71

Transplantmommy

Yeah, I would see if you can wait. Where did you have your transplant? I got extremely lucky with mine also. I did not have to go to rehab because I got up and moving around on my own fairly easily. I had my double lung and liver at the Cleveland Clinic and I was out of the hospital in 12 days and home 2 1/2 weeks after that (I live in NY). It was a great feeling. But you're right, still being there, you haven't been able to experience much yet and why would you want to write a letter to you donor family telling them that you're not home yet?

That is awesome that you are doing well and that your FEV1 is at 81 now! When I went in August, mine was at 94% and I'm hoping that it's a little higher when I go next week.

Transplantmommy

Yeah, I would see if you can wait. Where did you have your transplant? I got extremely lucky with mine also. I did not have to go to rehab because I got up and moving around on my own fairly easily. I had my double lung and liver at the Cleveland Clinic and I was out of the hospital in 12 days and home 2 1/2 weeks after that (I live in NY). It was a great feeling. But you're right, still being there, you haven't been able to experience much yet and why would you want to write a letter to you donor family telling them that you're not home yet?

That is awesome that you are doing well and that your FEV1 is at 81 now! When I went in August, mine was at 94% and I'm hoping that it's a little higher when I go next week.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />That is awesome that you are doing well and that your FEV1 is at 81 now! When I went in August, mine was at 94% and I'm hoping that it's a little higher when I go next week.