Trouble with Neb Cleaning (new equipments seems to cause more problems than it solves)

jdemott

Trouble with Neb Cleaning (new equipments seems to cause more problems than it solves)

I just learned about the Avent IQ24 and the Germ Guardian.

My five-year-old son has CF and my wife typically does the treatments. We usually wash the neb cups in the dishwasher and let them air dry on paper towels. We sometimes forget to get them out of the dishwasher before bed, leaving them in over night, which seems bad. I have wanted a better system, for that reason, but our CF clinic has not been very helpful in this area, with no real clear direction on how to manage these details.

We are on vacation and had to buy a new nebulizer. The sales rep said DO NOT run neb cups in the dishwasher, as it could affect their function. So, my wife and I started asking questions and learned that many CFers or parents are using bottle steamers. One person told me to get the Avent IQ24 to sterilize with steam after hand washing and rinsing. And, then get a Germ Guardian to dry the cups after, and hold them there to remain clean until use. Sounded great, so I bought both machines.

I have already ruined several neb cups in these devices. I thought it was the germ guardian, so I stopped using it. I was hand washing, and steam sterilizing, and drying on paper towels. But, tonight, I melted a new neb cup after one use in the steamer.

I called our CF clinic and spoke to a respiratory therapist who was not familiar with the Avent or Germ Guardian for CF neb cup cleaning. He said most use the dishwasher, or in the alternative, suggested that we soak in alcohol.

My son takes Albuterol and Pulmozyme through the nebulizer. I am not sure what our specific cups are named. We have always just used what they give us at the CF clinic, and probably have used them way too long in most cases. The ones that were most obviously damaged by the new equipment had green cone-shaped inserts, made by Salter. The cones warped from the heat. But, I also damaged another of our old type, with a blue stem insert, as evidenced by the excessive gurgling and sputtering sound it made the next time we used it.

Today, I put two new nebs with the cone inserts in the steamer. One was tinted light green and one was dark green. The light green one warped. I am not sure which was which now, but I had one cheap neb cup and one expensive one, so I assume the insert from the cheap one was the light green one that melted. I am curious if others are having this trouble with the Avent IQ24. What suggestions do you have?

I also don't like that the Germ Guardian does not have a functional floor on the plastic container. The inserts for the neb cups fall through the wide cracks and rest on the metal grating below, which seems like it would get HOT. Doesn't that damage parts?

Also, the instructions say to NOT put wet items in, yet I understand CFers take their nebs out of the steamer and put them into the GG for drying and further sanitizing. Why does the GG say no wet items, and why is it okay to do it anyway?

Finally, I am just now paying more attention to all this and noticing that our tubing gets a lot of moisture in it. I saw moisture today with the NEW neb cups on first use. I understand that blowing out the tubes with the compressor running after the meds are done, to dry them, is good. But, does that really do much if there is bacteria in the moisture? For example, if my kid coughs in the mask, which he does, doesn't some of that get into the neb cup, and thereby perhaps drip into the tube with whatever liquid seems to be collecting there during the neb treatment? ERGO... isn't all the neb cup sterilization a waste of time, if germs are growing in the tube?

This all seems complicated and easy to screw up. I am happy to do it, if it makes the difference, but I wonder what the right procedures are and how to avoid the trouble I am having. So far, my wife has steered clear of the new equipment and I have been doing the treatments and cleaning, to try to get our new process down. We would appreciate more tips from those with experience in these issues.

Thanks.

jdemott

My five-year-old son has CF and my wife typically does the treatments. We usually wash the neb cups in the dishwasher and let them air dry on paper towels. We sometimes forget to get them out of the dishwasher before bed, leaving them in over night, which seems bad. I have wanted a better system, for that reason, but our CF clinic has not been very helpful in this area, with no real clear direction on how to manage these details.

We are on vacation and had to buy a new nebulizer. The sales rep said DO NOT run neb cups in the dishwasher, as it could affect their function. So, my wife and I started asking questions and learned that many CFers or parents are using bottle steamers. One person told me to get the Avent IQ24 to sterilize with steam after hand washing and rinsing. And, then get a Germ Guardian to dry the cups after, and hold them there to remain clean until use. Sounded great, so I bought both machines.

I have already ruined several neb cups in these devices. I thought it was the germ guardian, so I stopped using it. I was hand washing, and steam sterilizing, and drying on paper towels. But, tonight, I melted a new neb cup after one use in the steamer.

I called our CF clinic and spoke to a respiratory therapist who was not familiar with the Avent or Germ Guardian for CF neb cup cleaning. He said most use the dishwasher, or in the alternative, suggested that we soak in alcohol.

My son takes Albuterol and Pulmozyme through the nebulizer. I am not sure what our specific cups are named. We have always just used what they give us at the CF clinic, and probably have used them way too long in most cases. The ones that were most obviously damaged by the new equipment had green cone-shaped inserts, made by Salter. The cones warped from the heat. But, I also damaged another of our old type, with a blue stem insert, as evidenced by the excessive gurgling and sputtering sound it made the next time we used it.

Today, I put two new nebs with the cone inserts in the steamer. One was tinted light green and one was dark green. The light green one warped. I am not sure which was which now, but I had one cheap neb cup and one expensive one, so I assume the insert from the cheap one was the light green one that melted. I am curious if others are having this trouble with the Avent IQ24. What suggestions do you have?

I also don't like that the Germ Guardian does not have a functional floor on the plastic container. The inserts for the neb cups fall through the wide cracks and rest on the metal grating below, which seems like it would get HOT. Doesn't that damage parts?

Also, the instructions say to NOT put wet items in, yet I understand CFers take their nebs out of the steamer and put them into the GG for drying and further sanitizing. Why does the GG say no wet items, and why is it okay to do it anyway?

Finally, I am just now paying more attention to all this and noticing that our tubing gets a lot of moisture in it. I saw moisture today with the NEW neb cups on first use. I understand that blowing out the tubes with the compressor running after the meds are done, to dry them, is good. But, does that really do much if there is bacteria in the moisture? For example, if my kid coughs in the mask, which he does, doesn't some of that get into the neb cup, and thereby perhaps drip into the tube with whatever liquid seems to be collecting there during the neb treatment? ERGO... isn't all the neb cup sterilization a waste of time, if germs are growing in the tube?

This all seems complicated and easy to screw up. I am happy to do it, if it makes the difference, but I wonder what the right procedures are and how to avoid the trouble I am having. So far, my wife has steered clear of the new equipment and I have been doing the treatments and cleaning, to try to get our new process down. We would appreciate more tips from those with experience in these issues.

Thanks.

jdemott

<br />
<br />My five-year-old son has CF and my wife typically does the treatments. We usually wash the neb cups in the dishwasher and let them air dry on paper towels. We sometimes forget to get them out of the dishwasher before bed, leaving them in over night, which seems bad. I have wanted a better system, for that reason, but our CF clinic has not been very helpful in this area, with no real clear direction on how to manage these details.
<br />
<br />We are on vacation and had to buy a new nebulizer. The sales rep said DO NOT run neb cups in the dishwasher, as it could affect their function. So, my wife and I started asking questions and learned that many CFers or parents are using bottle steamers. One person told me to get the Avent IQ24 to sterilize with steam after hand washing and rinsing. And, then get a Germ Guardian to dry the cups after, and hold them there to remain clean until use. Sounded great, so I bought both machines.
<br />
<br />I have already ruined several neb cups in these devices. I thought it was the germ guardian, so I stopped using it. I was hand washing, and steam sterilizing, and drying on paper towels. But, tonight, I melted a new neb cup after one use in the steamer.
<br />
<br />I called our CF clinic and spoke to a respiratory therapist who was not familiar with the Avent or Germ Guardian for CF neb cup cleaning. He said most use the dishwasher, or in the alternative, suggested that we soak in alcohol.
<br />
<br />My son takes Albuterol and Pulmozyme through the nebulizer. I am not sure what our specific cups are named. We have always just used what they give us at the CF clinic, and probably have used them way too long in most cases. The ones that were most obviously damaged by the new equipment had green cone-shaped inserts, made by Salter. The cones warped from the heat. But, I also damaged another of our old type, with a blue stem insert, as evidenced by the excessive gurgling and sputtering sound it made the next time we used it.
<br />
<br />Today, I put two new nebs with the cone inserts in the steamer. One was tinted light green and one was dark green. The light green one warped. I am not sure which was which now, but I had one cheap neb cup and one expensive one, so I assume the insert from the cheap one was the light green one that melted. I am curious if others are having this trouble with the Avent IQ24. What suggestions do you have?
<br />
<br />I also don't like that the Germ Guardian does not have a functional floor on the plastic container. The inserts for the neb cups fall through the wide cracks and rest on the metal grating below, which seems like it would get HOT. Doesn't that damage parts?
<br />
<br />Also, the instructions say to NOT put wet items in, yet I understand CFers take their nebs out of the steamer and put them into the GG for drying and further sanitizing. Why does the GG say no wet items, and why is it okay to do it anyway?
<br />
<br />Finally, I am just now paying more attention to all this and noticing that our tubing gets a lot of moisture in it. I saw moisture today with the NEW neb cups on first use. I understand that blowing out the tubes with the compressor running after the meds are done, to dry them, is good. But, does that really do much if there is bacteria in the moisture? For example, if my kid coughs in the mask, which he does, doesn't some of that get into the neb cup, and thereby perhaps drip into the tube with whatever liquid seems to be collecting there during the neb treatment? ERGO... isn't all the neb cup sterilization a waste of time, if germs are growing in the tube?
<br />
<br />This all seems complicated and easy to screw up. I am happy to do it, if it makes the difference, but I wonder what the right procedures are and how to avoid the trouble I am having. So far, my wife has steered clear of the new equipment and I have been doing the treatments and cleaning, to try to get our new process down. We would appreciate more tips from those with experience in these issues.
<br />
<br />Thanks.

kaylasdad

We run ours through the dishwasher,then we put them in boiling water for ten minutes. That seems to work fine for us. So if you do leave them in the dishwasher over night boiling them the next morning would kill any germs that was left on them. Make sure you don't leave them in boiling water more than the ten minutes because they will melt! Our daughters nurse said we can even bring the water to a boil and then turn of the fire and put them in the water for 10 minutes. And let air dry.
I never thought about the tube, I wonder if putting that in the boiling water would be OK? hope this helps.

kaylasdad

We run ours through the dishwasher,then we put them in boiling water for ten minutes. That seems to work fine for us. So if you do leave them in the dishwasher over night boiling them the next morning would kill any germs that was left on them. Make sure you don't leave them in boiling water more than the ten minutes because they will melt! Our daughters nurse said we can even bring the water to a boil and then turn of the fire and put them in the water for 10 minutes. And let air dry.
I never thought about the tube, I wonder if putting that in the boiling water would be OK? hope this helps.

kaylasdad

<br />I never thought about the tube, I wonder if putting that in the boiling water would be OK? hope this helps.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Are you sure the neb cups they gave you can be boiled or subjected to high temps? I melted one I got from the RTs years ago. We now only use pari or sidestream nebs. I wash in warm soapy water and then boil for 10 minutes on the stove.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Are you sure the neb cups they gave you can be boiled or subjected to high temps? I melted one I got from the RTs years ago. We now only use pari or sidestream nebs. I wash in warm soapy water and then boil for 10 minutes on the stove.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

AnnieT

I boil mine in a pot on the stove, not for long you have to keep a watch on it. I wouldnt personally use a dishwasher to clean them.

AnnieT

I boil mine in a pot on the stove, not for long you have to keep a watch on it. I wouldnt personally use a dishwasher to clean them.

AnnieT

Lanna429

Unless they are Pari Nebs you shouldn't boil/steam them (unless otherwise stated) Those clear plastic ones will melt in a second. I use a Tommee Tippee steam sterilizer. It works great and is a little less expensive than the Avent. So most likely it's the neb cups that are the problem. Ask about the Pari cups. They def should not melt. Considering I have forgotten about mine in boiling water for 30 a few times. As far as the tubes go, I usually just let the compressor run for a few extra min to get any moisture out. DO NOT BOIL TUBES. It says not to in instructions. Good luck!!

To clean the type of neb you're talking about it's recommend that you rinse in soapy water. Then every 1-2 weeks soak it in 1 part distiller vinegar to 2 parts water. Then let soak for 30 min take out and air dry. You tube has lots of videos with a bunch of different Nebs and how to clean them properly

Ps. I was also told to never use a microwavable bottle sterilizer, only electric.

Lanna429

Unless they are Pari Nebs you shouldn't boil/steam them (unless otherwise stated) Those clear plastic ones will melt in a second. I use a Tommee Tippee steam sterilizer. It works great and is a little less expensive than the Avent. So most likely it's the neb cups that are the problem. Ask about the Pari cups. They def should not melt. Considering I have forgotten about mine in boiling water for 30 a few times. As far as the tubes go, I usually just let the compressor run for a few extra min to get any moisture out. DO NOT BOIL TUBES. It says not to in instructions. Good luck!!

To clean the type of neb you're talking about it's recommend that you rinse in soapy water. Then every 1-2 weeks soak it in 1 part distiller vinegar to 2 parts water. Then let soak for 30 min take out and air dry. You tube has lots of videos with a bunch of different Nebs and how to clean them properly

Ps. I was also told to never use a microwavable bottle sterilizer, only electric.

Lanna429

<br />
<br />To clean the type of neb you're talking about it's recommend that you rinse in soapy water. Then every 1-2 weeks soak it in 1 part distiller vinegar to 2 parts water. Then let soak for 30 min take out and air dry. You tube has lots of videos with a bunch of different Nebs and how to clean them properly
<br />
<br />Ps. I was also told to never use a microwavable bottle sterilizer, only electric.

LouLou

Do you live in the US and go to an accredited CF center?
Ask your center for a Pari LC Plus nebulizer with mask (if your child uses a mask). If they don't have samples, get a script. They are more costly but if you have good insurance they will cover it. After all our medicines, Tobi and Pulmozyme, are only really approved for use w. this neb cup. They can be sterilized in any way you prefer. Also, they make the particles the exact size they are supposed to be to be absorbed (unlike the Salter you are using). They also don't waste as much medicine. I think you will really like your cleaning setup once you get a quality neb. If you are anxious to get teh nebs you can order them on the web with no rx. Also take a look at the MediWidget on this site (left side of forum page). Under Equipment> Nebulizers are listed all the nebs that are worth using. Only reusable nebs are listed. I believe the one you are using is considered a "disposable."

LouLou

Ask your center for a Pari LC Plus nebulizer with mask (if your child uses a mask). If they don't have samples, get a script. They are more costly but if you have good insurance they will cover it. After all our medicines, Tobi and Pulmozyme, are only really approved for use w. this neb cup. They can be sterilized in any way you prefer. Also, they make the particles the exact size they are supposed to be to be absorbed (unlike the Salter you are using). They also don't waste as much medicine. I think you will really like your cleaning setup once you get a quality neb. If you are anxious to get teh nebs you can order them on the web with no rx. Also take a look at the MediWidget on this site (left side of forum page). Under Equipment> Nebulizers are listed all the nebs that are worth using. Only reusable nebs are listed. I believe the one you are using is considered a "disposable."

LouLou

<br />Ask your center for a Pari LC Plus nebulizer with mask (if your child uses a mask). If they don't have samples, get a script. They are more costly but if you have good insurance they will cover it. After all our medicines, Tobi and Pulmozyme, are only really approved for use w. this neb cup. They can be sterilized in any way you prefer. Also, they make the particles the exact size they are supposed to be to be absorbed (unlike the Salter you are using). They also don't waste as much medicine. I think you will really like your cleaning setup once you get a quality neb. If you are anxious to get teh nebs you can order them on the web with no rx. Also take a look at the MediWidget on this site (left side of forum page). Under Equipment> Nebulizers are listed all the nebs that are worth using. Only reusable nebs are listed. I believe the one you are using is considered a "disposable."

petnurse

We use the pari nebs. We wash in warm soapy water and then boulevard on the stove for ten minutes. Then we use the germ guardian. I think it says not to put wet items in there because the coils are exposed. It's kind of a disclaimer for them. The thick masks can be boiled but the thin ones such as the fish masks will warp. Whoever you get the meds from should be offering you all new parts a minimum of every six months at no charge. If not let me know. We use a fabulous cf mail pharmacy that gives everything free. They just gave us a new compressor! I would never wash the tubing. You will end up with mold. As far as washing with vinegar, the RT that delivered our stuff said to boil those. The vinegar instructions are old and the cf foundation no longer recommends doing that. Hope this helps a little.

petnurse

We use the pari nebs. We wash in warm soapy water and then boulevard on the stove for ten minutes. Then we use the germ guardian. I think it says not to put wet items in there because the coils are exposed. It's kind of a disclaimer for them. The thick masks can be boiled but the thin ones such as the fish masks will warp. Whoever you get the meds from should be offering you all new parts a minimum of every six months at no charge. If not let me know. We use a fabulous cf mail pharmacy that gives everything free. They just gave us a new compressor! I would never wash the tubing. You will end up with mold. As far as washing with vinegar, the RT that delivered our stuff said to boil those. The vinegar instructions are old and the cf foundation no longer recommends doing that. Hope this helps a little.