Tune up before sinus surgery

mamerth

I am going in tomorrow to get evaluated for sinus surgery. My CF doctor said that she will likely recommend a week of IV drugs before the surgery. I have had 3 other sinus surgeries (over 16 years ago) and only once did I do IV drugs first.

Is this fairly typical?? Are they just trying to get my "bugs" under control before doing surgery??

mamerth

I am going in tomorrow to get evaluated for sinus surgery. My CF doctor said that she will likely recommend a week of IV drugs before the surgery. I have had 3 other sinus surgeries (over 16 years ago) and only once did I do IV drugs first.

Is this fairly typical?? Are they just trying to get my "bugs" under control before doing surgery??

mamerth

<br />
<br />Is this fairly typical?? Are they just trying to get my "bugs" under control before doing surgery??

JennifersHope

I have never had sinus surgery, but I know a lot of CFers who have. Typically they do do a tune up before the surgery so that they can make sure they don't cause your infections to act up. It is good that your doctor is doing that.

I hope things go well for you.

JennifersHope

I have never had sinus surgery, but I know a lot of CFers who have. Typically they do do a tune up before the surgery so that they can make sure they don't cause your infections to act up. It is good that your doctor is doing that.

I hope things go well for you.

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />I hope things go well for you.

M

MCGrad2006

It is typical.

My doctor said it is so that my lungs are in the best shape possible. Since anesthesia makes it harder to cough (obv while you are asleep) but also for a time after the surgery, your lungs need to be tip top!

M

MCGrad2006

It is typical.

My doctor said it is so that my lungs are in the best shape possible. Since anesthesia makes it harder to cough (obv while you are asleep) but also for a time after the surgery, your lungs need to be tip top!

M

MCGrad2006

It is typical.
<br />
<br />My doctor said it is so that my lungs are in the best shape possible. Since anesthesia makes it harder to cough (obv while you are asleep) but also for a time after the surgery, your lungs need to be tip top!

M

mneville

My 6 year old is going to have his 8th sinus surgery next month. He always gets at least two weeks of IVs and usually needs them for longer because his sinuses are just a mess. One time we tried a surgery without the IVs and it didn't go as well.

Megan

M

mneville

My 6 year old is going to have his 8th sinus surgery next month. He always gets at least two weeks of IVs and usually needs them for longer because his sinuses are just a mess. One time we tried a surgery without the IVs and it didn't go as well.

Megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />Megan

tesorotiffa

Every time I've had sinus surgery, I've always been on iv meds prior. Then again, I've always been sick enough to need the meds in the first place. The doc has mentioned to me though that it is protocol to do at least a week before and after surgery to make sure everything is taken care of properly!

tesorotiffa

Every time I've had sinus surgery, I've always been on iv meds prior. Then again, I've always been sick enough to need the meds in the first place. The doc has mentioned to me though that it is protocol to do at least a week before and after surgery to make sure everything is taken care of properly!

tesorotiffa

W

welshwitch

Just had sinus surgery in November....no IVs for me...didn't even come up. Then again, I've never had IVs.

W

welshwitch

Just had sinus surgery in November....no IVs for me...didn't even come up. Then again, I've never had IVs.

W

welshwitch

Twistofchaos

Yeah is normal. (Had sinus surgery on regular basis as a kid and in my teens, every other year or so, luckily I seem to have outgrown it and haven't needed it in some ten years now.)

You really want to be in the best shape you can for any surgery because you won't be feeling too good anyway, infection and fever can really mess up your anesthesia I believe and also what Megan said, if the sinusses itself are a mess there's also a higher risk of wound infections and slower healing I guess. (Even if cleaned I guess the sinus tissue that's not being removed would still be hyper sensitive)

Goodluck.

Twistofchaos

Yeah is normal. (Had sinus surgery on regular basis as a kid and in my teens, every other year or so, luckily I seem to have outgrown it and haven't needed it in some ten years now.)

You really want to be in the best shape you can for any surgery because you won't be feeling too good anyway, infection and fever can really mess up your anesthesia I believe and also what Megan said, if the sinusses itself are a mess there's also a higher risk of wound infections and slower healing I guess. (Even if cleaned I guess the sinus tissue that's not being removed would still be hyper sensitive)

Goodluck.