Tune ups

Jennifer1981

To the person that posted about Bactrim,

I never really took Bactrim because I'm VERY allergic to it. With my pseudo, the only thing I could take was Cipro, Levaquin, and Doxy. Bactrim was prescribed to me, but within 3 days I was covered from head to toe with hives. One more drug that I can't take. However, since it is recommended for pseudo this is what I would advise. Most medications I hate; however, there comes times when they are needed.

I read that you question inhaled meds more than oral or IV meds. Why??? I think that inhaled meds are the safest and here is why. When you take Pulmozyme or Tobi that medicine is localized to your lungs. Well, mostly anyway. It doesn't really get in your bloodstream much at all. I'm going to pull my trying to conceive into this. Pulmozyme is safe to take during pregnancy. You can find that on the internet with the FDA. Also, my doctors have instructed me this. I'm not as sure though about the TOBI since I don't take that anymore. I stopped two years ago due to resistance and too much oral thrush. I was on it for 8 years. For me, Tobi stopped working (also reflected in my PFT's and symptoms) and the side effects were too great. When taking an inhaled med, you build a resistance much slower. It doesn't really effect your bloodstream. You may culture yeast in your lungs though later down the line. Nothing can really be done for that. Although I didn't think I started to culture that until I was put on TOBI for a couple of years. I'm not sure. Back then I also got many stupid "tune-ups".

Anyway, I recommend whole-hearted Pulmozyme. I have been taking it 1-2x daily for 10 years. I don't have a resistance to it, and I feel so much better after just breathing it in. If your not on it, try it. It won't hurt. If you decide it's not for you, stop it. I don't have any side effects. I like it. Which for me is hard to come by.

As far as oral meds go (i.e. Bactrim), I agree that there comes times when you do need oral meds to treat a lung infection or whatever. Short term use maybe twice a year at most should be alright. However, I suggest you should ask your doctor about alternating the med each time you need one. One time use Cipro. The next time use Bactrim. This way your body can't get resistant as quickly. Also, never stop your med early. This increases resistance chances. You may feel better, but if you stop, you will help build resistance more quickly. With the use of oral meds, it gets in your bloodstream and most are not safe during pregnancy. This is one tool is use to determine the strength or should I say damage of a med. Also, oral meds start to create yeast throughout your body. That is why you should always take them with a lot of water. Once levels are too high, if you are a woman, you can get a yeast infection down below. That is not the only reason that you get them, but it's the most common. Also, women in general need to be more careful with the usage of meds. Constant infections can effect fertility.

Long-term oral meds I fully discourage. And actually back to Liz's initial topic this is the ONLY time I think IV antibiotics are better. Even though IV meds are stronger, your body has a chance to regroup back to natural. And you may only do IV's once or twice a year. Yes, you still have a chance of building up resistance like me, but taking an oral med only allows your body to completely "forget" how to act as close to normal as possible. Also, you become dependent and will probably start to get yeast infections down below and in your mouth. They won't really go away. You'll just treat them, and they will continue to come back. Long-term oral meds blood levels won't come down unless you stop the med. Also, you will get resistant probably within a year or two. AND I'M NOT MAKING THAT UP. My ex-doctor built up Zithromax like it was " so wonderful". When he was finally done pushing me I asked him, " And with the studies done, how long did it take to get resistent to it". That was the answer I got. Then what. One more med you don't have when you really need it. Besides who really wants to take a med every day for the next two years if you don't really need it???

Anyway, I suggest looking into inhaled meds. If you should need short-term oral meds, alternate. Use IV's only when absolutely needed. NEVER use long-term anything when it comes to oral or IV's. I hope this helped. If you need to ask anything else, feel free. Nothing is really that personal to me when it comes to the treatment of my CF. I'll be back tomorrow. I have to do some cleaning.

Jennifer 24 W/CF

Jennifer1981

To the person that posted about Bactrim,

I never really took Bactrim because I'm VERY allergic to it. With my pseudo, the only thing I could take was Cipro, Levaquin, and Doxy. Bactrim was prescribed to me, but within 3 days I was covered from head to toe with hives. One more drug that I can't take. However, since it is recommended for pseudo this is what I would advise. Most medications I hate; however, there comes times when they are needed.

I read that you question inhaled meds more than oral or IV meds. Why??? I think that inhaled meds are the safest and here is why. When you take Pulmozyme or Tobi that medicine is localized to your lungs. Well, mostly anyway. It doesn't really get in your bloodstream much at all. I'm going to pull my trying to conceive into this. Pulmozyme is safe to take during pregnancy. You can find that on the internet with the FDA. Also, my doctors have instructed me this. I'm not as sure though about the TOBI since I don't take that anymore. I stopped two years ago due to resistance and too much oral thrush. I was on it for 8 years. For me, Tobi stopped working (also reflected in my PFT's and symptoms) and the side effects were too great. When taking an inhaled med, you build a resistance much slower. It doesn't really effect your bloodstream. You may culture yeast in your lungs though later down the line. Nothing can really be done for that. Although I didn't think I started to culture that until I was put on TOBI for a couple of years. I'm not sure. Back then I also got many stupid "tune-ups".

Anyway, I recommend whole-hearted Pulmozyme. I have been taking it 1-2x daily for 10 years. I don't have a resistance to it, and I feel so much better after just breathing it in. If your not on it, try it. It won't hurt. If you decide it's not for you, stop it. I don't have any side effects. I like it. Which for me is hard to come by.

As far as oral meds go (i.e. Bactrim), I agree that there comes times when you do need oral meds to treat a lung infection or whatever. Short term use maybe twice a year at most should be alright. However, I suggest you should ask your doctor about alternating the med each time you need one. One time use Cipro. The next time use Bactrim. This way your body can't get resistant as quickly. Also, never stop your med early. This increases resistance chances. You may feel better, but if you stop, you will help build resistance more quickly. With the use of oral meds, it gets in your bloodstream and most are not safe during pregnancy. This is one tool is use to determine the strength or should I say damage of a med. Also, oral meds start to create yeast throughout your body. That is why you should always take them with a lot of water. Once levels are too high, if you are a woman, you can get a yeast infection down below. That is not the only reason that you get them, but it's the most common. Also, women in general need to be more careful with the usage of meds. Constant infections can effect fertility.

Long-term oral meds I fully discourage. And actually back to Liz's initial topic this is the ONLY time I think IV antibiotics are better. Even though IV meds are stronger, your body has a chance to regroup back to natural. And you may only do IV's once or twice a year. Yes, you still have a chance of building up resistance like me, but taking an oral med only allows your body to completely "forget" how to act as close to normal as possible. Also, you become dependent and will probably start to get yeast infections down below and in your mouth. They won't really go away. You'll just treat them, and they will continue to come back. Long-term oral meds blood levels won't come down unless you stop the med. Also, you will get resistant probably within a year or two. AND I'M NOT MAKING THAT UP. My ex-doctor built up Zithromax like it was " so wonderful". When he was finally done pushing me I asked him, " And with the studies done, how long did it take to get resistent to it". That was the answer I got. Then what. One more med you don't have when you really need it. Besides who really wants to take a med every day for the next two years if you don't really need it???

Anyway, I suggest looking into inhaled meds. If you should need short-term oral meds, alternate. Use IV's only when absolutely needed. NEVER use long-term anything when it comes to oral or IV's. I hope this helped. If you need to ask anything else, feel free. Nothing is really that personal to me when it comes to the treatment of my CF. I'll be back tomorrow. I have to do some cleaning.

Jennifer 24 W/CF

thelizardqueen

Hmm - thanks for the explanation Jenn. I wonder though - why is it that your doc is against you trying just because you might get gestational diabetes? Plenty of women that are diabetic do have healthy pregnancies. I'm of the mind set that if you go in being healthy, you'll follow through being healthy. I know that CF as well as Diabetes is two strikes, but that just means taking extra care of yourself. I guess I'm just of the mind set that I'm not willing to give up the dream of having children naturally. I'm healthy for a CFer and Diabetic. My docs are completly fine with that fact that my boyfriend and I are going to start trying summer/fall, so long as I'm where I need to be health wise to have a healthy baby. I can understand this as a personal choice for you, but I just wonder at your docs comment is all.

thelizardqueen

Hmm - thanks for the explanation Jenn. I wonder though - why is it that your doc is against you trying just because you might get gestational diabetes? Plenty of women that are diabetic do have healthy pregnancies. I'm of the mind set that if you go in being healthy, you'll follow through being healthy. I know that CF as well as Diabetes is two strikes, but that just means taking extra care of yourself. I guess I'm just of the mind set that I'm not willing to give up the dream of having children naturally. I'm healthy for a CFer and Diabetic. My docs are completly fine with that fact that my boyfriend and I are going to start trying summer/fall, so long as I'm where I need to be health wise to have a healthy baby. I can understand this as a personal choice for you, but I just wonder at your docs comment is all.

anonymous

Jennifer, I really appreciate the info in your post. I am 19 and have been pretty healthy. I just want to be as knowledgable as I can so I can try to maintain my health. I am not totally against using inhaled antibiotics- I just want to be as conservative as possible with any medication because I fear becoming resistant. I liked your advice on alternating antibiotics! My doctor says that only inhaled Tobi and Colistin and oral Cipro and Levequin are suitable for fighting pseudomonas. I have done some research and also reading many posts on this site that there are other meds that can be used. Also my doctor has been persistant about me using alternate day prednisone for several years. I really dont feel comfortable with that because I have been taking it for so long. So I am also trying to learn more about antiinflammatories such as zithromax (three times a week) and inhaled steriods so any infor you can share with me would be great.

anonymous

Jennifer, I really appreciate the info in your post. I am 19 and have been pretty healthy. I just want to be as knowledgable as I can so I can try to maintain my health. I am not totally against using inhaled antibiotics- I just want to be as conservative as possible with any medication because I fear becoming resistant. I liked your advice on alternating antibiotics! My doctor says that only inhaled Tobi and Colistin and oral Cipro and Levequin are suitable for fighting pseudomonas. I have done some research and also reading many posts on this site that there are other meds that can be used. Also my doctor has been persistant about me using alternate day prednisone for several years. I really dont feel comfortable with that because I have been taking it for so long. So I am also trying to learn more about antiinflammatories such as zithromax (three times a week) and inhaled steriods so any infor you can share with me would be great.

Vampy

a clean out is when u go to the hospital like every year once a year and they put u in the hospital for two weeks and insert iv meds into ur system to make sure all bad virius's or anything can go into ur system..

Vampy

a clean out is when u go to the hospital like every year once a year and they put u in the hospital for two weeks and insert iv meds into ur system to make sure all bad virius's or anything can go into ur system..

thelizardqueen

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>Vampy</b></i><br>a clean out is when u go to the hospital like every year once a year and they put u in the hospital for two weeks and insert iv meds into ur system to make sure all bad virius's or anything can go into ur system..<hr></blockquote>

I do know what a tune up involves, I just was not sure for the reason for them, as I have never had a "tune up". I've only been on IV once and that was 10 years ago. I just wonder if sometimes doctors push this when its not necessarily needed. Obvisouly I'm fine without them, and I know a lot of people on here are fine too, but go in for them once and awhile.

thelizardqueen

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>Vampy</b></i><br>a clean out is when u go to the hospital like every year once a year and they put u in the hospital for two weeks and insert iv meds into ur system to make sure all bad virius's or anything can go into ur system..<hr></blockquote>

I do know what a tune up involves, I just was not sure for the reason for them, as I have never had a "tune up". I've only been on IV once and that was 10 years ago. I just wonder if sometimes doctors push this when its not necessarily needed. Obvisouly I'm fine without them, and I know a lot of people on here are fine too, but go in for them once and awhile.

Jennifer1981

Hi again 19 year old with the Bactrim question,

As far as Zithromax, I can't offer you any other information because I never took it. However, it's like I said that I won't take it for long-term use.

As far as the Prednisone, I have taken that before. What you have to be careful of with that is that it raises blood sugar levels. It usually is not recommended for people with CF that are diabetic or close to it. Once I became diabetic, my doctors discouraged it. I was only one it once and a while for flare ups. The other problem I had with it was that since it is a steriod; I had many yeast infections during the taking of it. That also holds true for me with Flovent and Advair. They also have steriodial agents. I had to discontinue them both for oral thrush. I hope this info helped.

Jennifer 24 w/CF

Jennifer1981

Hi again 19 year old with the Bactrim question,

As far as Zithromax, I can't offer you any other information because I never took it. However, it's like I said that I won't take it for long-term use.

As far as the Prednisone, I have taken that before. What you have to be careful of with that is that it raises blood sugar levels. It usually is not recommended for people with CF that are diabetic or close to it. Once I became diabetic, my doctors discouraged it. I was only one it once and a while for flare ups. The other problem I had with it was that since it is a steriod; I had many yeast infections during the taking of it. That also holds true for me with Flovent and Advair. They also have steriodial agents. I had to discontinue them both for oral thrush. I hope this info helped.

Jennifer 24 w/CF