unforgiving professors

lightNlife

Your campus should have a "student special services" office or something similar. That was something that really saved my hide in college. I filed a letter with them from my doctors explaining why I had to miss class sometimes and how it was possible that I might fall behind unless the school accommodated me in a reasonable manner.

If your professors are unreasonable, take it to a higher power. Speak to the dean of student affairs in your major department. I had a professor who failed me because I missed a final because I was having SURGERY. There are jerks out there, but it's worth the time and effort to seek out the appropriate helpful channels.

It's worth checking out. Some of the things that helped get me by was:

1. Notetaking services when I had to miss class
2. Extra tutoring when I was in the hospital
3. Extended deadlines for projects when warranted
4. Test-taking in a room by myself so I could eat and cough to my heart's content w/o disrupting other students

You have to seek it out. It's worth it. Your track record should speak for itself, since you've been on the dean's list. Good luck!

lightNlife

Your campus should have a "student special services" office or something similar. That was something that really saved my hide in college. I filed a letter with them from my doctors explaining why I had to miss class sometimes and how it was possible that I might fall behind unless the school accommodated me in a reasonable manner.

If your professors are unreasonable, take it to a higher power. Speak to the dean of student affairs in your major department. I had a professor who failed me because I missed a final because I was having SURGERY. There are jerks out there, but it's worth the time and effort to seek out the appropriate helpful channels.

4. Test-taking in a room by myself so I could eat and cough to my heart's content w/o disrupting other students

You have to seek it out. It's worth it. Your track record should speak for itself, since you've been on the dean's list. Good luck!

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

<br />
<br />If your professors are unreasonable, take it to a higher power. Speak to the dean of student affairs in your major department. I had a professor who failed me because I missed a final because I was having SURGERY. There are jerks out there, but it's worth the time and effort to seek out the appropriate helpful channels.
<br />
<br />It's worth checking out. Some of the things that helped get me by was:
<br />
<br />1. Notetaking services when I had to miss class
<br />2. Extra tutoring when I was in the hospital
<br />3. Extended deadlines for projects when warranted
<br />4. Test-taking in a room by myself so I could eat and cough to my heart's content w/o disrupting other students
<br />
<br />You have to seek it out. It's worth it. Your track record should speak for itself, since you've been on the dean's list. Good luck!

treehugger

Caryn,

I am a college professor and we have to make the accomodations specified by the disability office for students who have talked with the office and acquired the appropriate paperwork. You need to make it official. At our University we are not supposed to allow absences without doctor excuses-do you have a student rules book? In our case all the disability office needs is a letter from a doctor with recomendations. I have cf too so I understand. Make it official and your life will be much more manageable.

Lisa

treehugger

Caryn,

I am a college professor and we have to make the accomodations specified by the disability office for students who have talked with the office and acquired the appropriate paperwork. You need to make it official. At our University we are not supposed to allow absences without doctor excuses-do you have a student rules book? In our case all the disability office needs is a letter from a doctor with recomendations. I have cf too so I understand. Make it official and your life will be much more manageable.

Lisa

treehugger

Caryn,

Lisa

treehugger

Caryn,

Lisa

treehugger

Caryn,
<br />
<br />I am a college professor and we have to make the accomodations specified by the disability office for students who have talked with the office and acquired the appropriate paperwork. You need to make it official. At our University we are not supposed to allow absences without doctor excuses-do you have a student rules book? In our case all the disability office needs is a letter from a doctor with recomendations. I have cf too so I understand. Make it official and your life will be much more manageable.
<br />
<br />Lisa

geckolady

Thanks everyone! i probably should have looked into all of this sooner. i usually just talk to the professor on the first day of class and i've never had a problem. I guess this professor didnt understand me when i told him. i will figure this whole disability office thing out though. the same professor that is giving me trouble in class is my student advisor for the year(good match huh?) and he asked me to get a dr note to take less than 19 credits!

geckolady

Thanks everyone! i probably should have looked into all of this sooner. i usually just talk to the professor on the first day of class and i've never had a problem. I guess this professor didnt understand me when i told him. i will figure this whole disability office thing out though. the same professor that is giving me trouble in class is my student advisor for the year(good match huh?) and he asked me to get a dr note to take less than 19 credits!

geckolady

geckolady

geckolady