vacations

Lex

I just went thru JFK airport. I carried the vest on with me and there wasn't an issue. Right through the detector. It was a pain to physically carry it on, but I didn't want to risk losing it by checking it. It was worth the hassle. On the return flight (san diego airport), they "randomly" selected the vest to search. No doc's note, but they've seen it all and they let me pass right through. I think security has a checklist of suspicious items and the vest obviously didn't register on their radar. All in all, it was worth taking it.

Question: the air quality on the plane sucked and I felt short of breath until we landed. Like the air was too thin at 33,000 ft. However, I thought no one is allowed to carry on oxygen? Is this right? I would've loved to carry mine on and not suffer for 6 hours!

Lex

I just went thru JFK airport. I carried the vest on with me and there wasn't an issue. Right through the detector. It was a pain to physically carry it on, but I didn't want to risk losing it by checking it. It was worth the hassle. On the return flight (san diego airport), they "randomly" selected the vest to search. No doc's note, but they've seen it all and they let me pass right through. I think security has a checklist of suspicious items and the vest obviously didn't register on their radar. All in all, it was worth taking it.

Question: the air quality on the plane sucked and I felt short of breath until we landed. Like the air was too thin at 33,000 ft. However, I thought no one is allowed to carry on oxygen? Is this right? I would've loved to carry mine on and not suffer for 6 hours!

Lex

Lex

Lex

<br />
<br />Question: the air quality on the plane sucked and I felt short of breath until we landed. Like the air was too thin at 33,000 ft. However, I thought no one is allowed to carry on oxygen? Is this right? I would've loved to carry mine on and not suffer for 6 hours!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Just flew for the first time with DS' vest -- hill rom with the rolling duffle, plus meds and pari compressor in a backpack... Our first plane was a tiny little puddle jumper (50 seater) and the bag still fit in the overhead compartment. I was concerned with security and carrying on so much stuff, but I'd emailed a local mom who I knew travelled extensively alone with her two kids and she just said she always boarded the plane early when they first called the flight and that there were always people willing to help her put the vest up in the overhead compartment.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Just flew for the first time with DS' vest -- hill rom with the rolling duffle, plus meds and pari compressor in a backpack... Our first plane was a tiny little puddle jumper (50 seater) and the bag still fit in the overhead compartment. I was concerned with security and carrying on so much stuff, but I'd emailed a local mom who I knew travelled extensively alone with her two kids and she just said she always boarded the plane early when they first called the flight and that there were always people willing to help her put the vest up in the overhead compartment.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Orionbiker

You could also try getting a PEP(Positive Expiratory Pressure) mask, it is like the Flutter but I find it work a hell of alot better.

Orionbiker

You could also try getting a PEP(Positive Expiratory Pressure) mask, it is like the Flutter but I find it work a hell of alot better.

Orionbiker

Orionbiker

Orionbiker

<br />

Orionbiker

The Breathing exercise that the one person is talk about is Autogenic Drainage,

Autogenic Drainage

This fairly complicated technique starts with the individual sitting comfortably and breathing slowly, taking small breaths, and exhaling slightly forcefully but in a controlled way, at the minimum lung volume (breathing at this low lung volume is used to loosen mucous in the airways).

The size of the breaths is then slightly increased. The individual only breaths out half-way, so that the "baseline" lung volume is allowed to increase a bit. The force of exhalation (breathing out) may be adjusted as needed (breathing at slightly higher lung volumes is used to collect mucous in larger air passages).

The controlled breathing process is continued at progressively larger lung volumes until the individual is taking maximum-sized breaths (which expel mucous from the largest airways where it can now be coughed out). The individual needs to concentrate completely throughout the breathing sequence, to at all times feel how far "up" the airways mucous have been moved, and adjust the breathing accordingly, to keep moving mucous up and out.

This technique, again, is a bit like squeezing toothpaste out of a tube using breathing at increasing lung volumes to gradually squeeze secretions gradually into larger airways. It takes practice, skill and self-discipline, and requires the motivation and full cooperation of an older child or adult to be effective as a regular airway clearance approach. Several one-on-one teaching sessions are needed with the physiotherapist to learn this technique, and regular review sessions should be scheduled to ensure that the optimal results are being achieved.

Orionbiker

Autogenic Drainage

This fairly complicated technique starts with the individual sitting comfortably and breathing slowly, taking small breaths, and exhaling slightly forcefully but in a controlled way, at the minimum lung volume (breathing at this low lung volume is used to loosen mucous in the airways).

The size of the breaths is then slightly increased. The individual only breaths out half-way, so that the "baseline" lung volume is allowed to increase a bit. The force of exhalation (breathing out) may be adjusted as needed (breathing at slightly higher lung volumes is used to collect mucous in larger air passages).

The controlled breathing process is continued at progressively larger lung volumes until the individual is taking maximum-sized breaths (which expel mucous from the largest airways where it can now be coughed out). The individual needs to concentrate completely throughout the breathing sequence, to at all times feel how far "up" the airways mucous have been moved, and adjust the breathing accordingly, to keep moving mucous up and out.

This technique, again, is a bit like squeezing toothpaste out of a tube using breathing at increasing lung volumes to gradually squeeze secretions gradually into larger airways. It takes practice, skill and self-discipline, and requires the motivation and full cooperation of an older child or adult to be effective as a regular airway clearance approach. Several one-on-one teaching sessions are needed with the physiotherapist to learn this technique, and regular review sessions should be scheduled to ensure that the optimal results are being achieved.

Orionbiker

Autogenic Drainage

Orionbiker

Autogenic Drainage

Orionbiker

<br />
<br />
<br />Autogenic Drainage
<br />
<br />This fairly complicated technique starts with the individual sitting comfortably and breathing slowly, taking small breaths, and exhaling slightly forcefully but in a controlled way, at the minimum lung volume (breathing at this low lung volume is used to loosen mucous in the airways).
<br />
<br />The size of the breaths is then slightly increased. The individual only breaths out half-way, so that the "baseline" lung volume is allowed to increase a bit. The force of exhalation (breathing out) may be adjusted as needed (breathing at slightly higher lung volumes is used to collect mucous in larger air passages).
<br />
<br />The controlled breathing process is continued at progressively larger lung volumes until the individual is taking maximum-sized breaths (which expel mucous from the largest airways where it can now be coughed out). The individual needs to concentrate completely throughout the breathing sequence, to at all times feel how far "up" the airways mucous have been moved, and adjust the breathing accordingly, to keep moving mucous up and out.
<br />
<br />This technique, again, is a bit like squeezing toothpaste out of a tube using breathing at increasing lung volumes to gradually squeeze secretions gradually into larger airways. It takes practice, skill and self-discipline, and requires the motivation and full cooperation of an older child or adult to be effective as a regular airway clearance approach. Several one-on-one teaching sessions are needed with the physiotherapist to learn this technique, and regular review sessions should be scheduled to ensure that the optimal results are being achieved.