Vest and IPV Machines

pjspiegle

Yeah!! and PRAISE THE LORD! We got our IPV machine approved by Kaiser finally!

Thought I would share some good news for a change and let those who are trying to get insurance to approve equipment for the kidos know that persistance pays off! That and pointing out that if they do not approve it means we have to do tune-ups in the hospital so that we can use the right equipement so they could either pay the roughly $10,000 for the IPV or the $126,500. average cost of one of Nathans tune-ups. They denied the first appeal and said they needed to hear that from the doctor and I told them fine, we were getting ready for another tune-up I guessed we would do at the hospital, which we were admitted on Sunday. But before the admission, my RT faxed them a letter, then called them on Monday to tell them that if they would approve the IPV they could discharge us, which led to the doctor reviewing the 2nd appeal to call his pulmonologist, which I have no idea what he said to them, and last night they called to tell us it was approved!

Nobody bothered to tell them that we would probably be going home Friday or Saturday to finish the tune-up at home regardless of whether or not the IPV was approved.

Anyways, I have had similar experience with getting a vest approved as well and seem to have a knack for getting things approved, so if anyone needs or wants my help, I would be happy to do so.

Again, YEAH, we are over due for some good news for a change,

pjspiegle

Thought I would share some good news for a change and let those who are trying to get insurance to approve equipment for the kidos know that persistance pays off! That and pointing out that if they do not approve it means we have to do tune-ups in the hospital so that we can use the right equipement so they could either pay the roughly $10,000 for the IPV or the $126,500. average cost of one of Nathans tune-ups. They denied the first appeal and said they needed to hear that from the doctor and I told them fine, we were getting ready for another tune-up I guessed we would do at the hospital, which we were admitted on Sunday. But before the admission, my RT faxed them a letter, then called them on Monday to tell them that if they would approve the IPV they could discharge us, which led to the doctor reviewing the 2nd appeal to call his pulmonologist, which I have no idea what he said to them, and last night they called to tell us it was approved!

Nobody bothered to tell them that we would probably be going home Friday or Saturday to finish the tune-up at home regardless of whether or not the IPV was approved.

Anyways, I have had similar experience with getting a vest approved as well and seem to have a knack for getting things approved, so if anyone needs or wants my help, I would be happy to do so.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Great News!

This is the first time that I have ever heard of an IPV machine. I googled it and it looks very interesting. Does everyone use these machines in the hospital to do treaments? Sarah has never been admitted so I don't know much about the special equipment used there. Is it common for people to have this device at home? And is there a noticable improvement using this over a regular compressor/nebulizer?

Anyway, sorry if I hijacked your thread....I'm just excited about learning about new things and will fight to get one for my daughter if I think that it will be beneficial.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Great News!

This is the first time that I have ever heard of an IPV machine. I googled it and it looks very interesting. Does everyone use these machines in the hospital to do treaments? Sarah has never been admitted so I don't know much about the special equipment used there. Is it common for people to have this device at home? And is there a noticable improvement using this over a regular compressor/nebulizer?

Anyway, sorry if I hijacked your thread....I'm just excited about learning about new things and will fight to get one for my daughter if I think that it will be beneficial.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Great News!

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Great News!

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Great News!

pjspiegle

It depends on the child whether or not they use an IPV or not. Nathan did not start using it until about a year ago, age 13, and it does wonders for him. I think that they have to be in their teens as a general rule, not always though, it depends. It use to be common for the kids to have them at home from my understanding, but medicaid is not approving them any longer, at least for now, and it is hard to get regular insurance to approve them as well, unless you are very persistant as I am. I just do not take no for an answer from my insurance company and they know it, I will call them every day if necessary. I learned from my mother, who worked for an HMO for several years, that those who yell louder get the approvals, they will often say no just to see if you will pursue the appeals or not.

That is wonderful that your daughter has not had to be admitted yet, I am assuming you are both doing good work at home, keep it up. With that said, let me caution you to start reassuring her now that if she does have to go in for a tune-up, more like when, that it wasn't because of anything she did or didn't do. I have been in with Nathan when one of the CF kids had to come in for the first time between the ages of 11 and 15 and were very devasated by it because they thought it was some how there fault. Each CF patient is different but if you can prepare her now for the idea that sooner or later she is most likely going to need a tune-up, she might not take it so personally or see it as if she did something wrong when and if it happens.

I am not sure I am answering your questions or helping or not. If you are looking for a "great" nebulizer, then I would recommend the new EFlow first and probably save the IPV for when she has mucus that is just being stubborn and won't move. But as always, ask your doctor, they should know if this would be helpful or not. Plus, keep in mind, to get an IPV, you really have to show that 1. she needs it, 2. it will make a difference in her quality of life, and 3. the other things are not working for her. We personally use it with the VEST and not in place of the vest. Plus, it is really only used for sterile water and hypertonic, all the other inhaled meds still have to be used in a nebulizer. The EFlow is the best! It cuts the time of doing your nebs in half! If she does any of the inhaled antibiotics, like tobi, she should be able to get one without any problem. The insurance companies are loving the EFlow because the costs are also cut in half because you only need half of the antibiotics because of the efficient way it delivers the meds. You use the regular amounts of DNase and other nebs, but only 1/2 of the antibiotics. Its the best! I highly recommend anyone using nebs to look into one. The compamy that does them is IV Solutions and their number is 1-800-658-6046, they are wonderful to work with. They will galdly answer any questions and let you know what you need to get one approved.

Hope this helps,

pjspiegle

It depends on the child whether or not they use an IPV or not. Nathan did not start using it until about a year ago, age 13, and it does wonders for him. I think that they have to be in their teens as a general rule, not always though, it depends. It use to be common for the kids to have them at home from my understanding, but medicaid is not approving them any longer, at least for now, and it is hard to get regular insurance to approve them as well, unless you are very persistant as I am. I just do not take no for an answer from my insurance company and they know it, I will call them every day if necessary. I learned from my mother, who worked for an HMO for several years, that those who yell louder get the approvals, they will often say no just to see if you will pursue the appeals or not.

That is wonderful that your daughter has not had to be admitted yet, I am assuming you are both doing good work at home, keep it up. With that said, let me caution you to start reassuring her now that if she does have to go in for a tune-up, more like when, that it wasn't because of anything she did or didn't do. I have been in with Nathan when one of the CF kids had to come in for the first time between the ages of 11 and 15 and were very devasated by it because they thought it was some how there fault. Each CF patient is different but if you can prepare her now for the idea that sooner or later she is most likely going to need a tune-up, she might not take it so personally or see it as if she did something wrong when and if it happens.

I am not sure I am answering your questions or helping or not. If you are looking for a "great" nebulizer, then I would recommend the new EFlow first and probably save the IPV for when she has mucus that is just being stubborn and won't move. But as always, ask your doctor, they should know if this would be helpful or not. Plus, keep in mind, to get an IPV, you really have to show that 1. she needs it, 2. it will make a difference in her quality of life, and 3. the other things are not working for her. We personally use it with the VEST and not in place of the vest. Plus, it is really only used for sterile water and hypertonic, all the other inhaled meds still have to be used in a nebulizer. The EFlow is the best! It cuts the time of doing your nebs in half! If she does any of the inhaled antibiotics, like tobi, she should be able to get one without any problem. The insurance companies are loving the EFlow because the costs are also cut in half because you only need half of the antibiotics because of the efficient way it delivers the meds. You use the regular amounts of DNase and other nebs, but only 1/2 of the antibiotics. Its the best! I highly recommend anyone using nebs to look into one. The compamy that does them is IV Solutions and their number is 1-800-658-6046, they are wonderful to work with. They will galdly answer any questions and let you know what you need to get one approved.

Hope this helps,

pjspiegle

Hope this helps,

pjspiegle

Hope this helps,

pjspiegle

Hope this helps,