Waking Up in the Morning and CF

SoyaSauce

How do you guys feel when you wake up in the morning with CF? -I mean cough and congestion wise?

Some days I feel PURE GARBAGE waking up in the morning, just laying in dry stringy rotten mucus and post nasal drip nastiness, with wheezing, and just to sit up a chore and to move JUST SUCKS. This feeling causes me to sleep in, I am not sick, this is just on 'baseline' CF days.

Once I get to the bathroom and do my morning honking and clearing, I am perfectly fine and energized for the day.

Some days I am great to wake up and don't feel like I'm suffocating in mucus, probably cause I did a hard run the day before, or SOMETIMES complete OPPOSITE, I am clogged like a toliet, then it was probably the run that cleared me and now im paying for it! (VEST)

How do you try to wake up consistently semi- clear and not- horrible congested in the morning ? Any tips? I do of course my vest and nebs faithfully every night.

W

welshwitch

A hard run is usually the only foolproof way to eliminate the mondo congestion. I agree, it totally sucks. I also have really bad sinuses that I don't think are helping the situation. My sinus doc put me on a 2 week round of hardcore antibiotics and it magically made all the congestion go away! Nice to have a break from it for 2 weeks.

Some ideas:

*Have you gotten your sinuses checked? That could be the source of the post nasal drip
*Do you have a consistent running routine? Every other day helps me a lot.
*I try to lay off alcohol--for some reason, red wine especially makes my allergies kick into higher gear.

SoyaSauce

I will need to try your tip number #2, I need to be more consistent with running, I have been concentrating too much on the weights deparment lately, but running is the magic formula. Thank you welshwitch.

Try having water near to help with coughing attacks. This helps me with coughing. Plus have something like a cough drop and Kleenex and a trash can with a plastic bag if you need to spit up. Have you tried a sinus rinse to help clear stuff out?

iefisherman

Drink by the bed is always a good idea. I have good and bad days in the morning. I find that the shorter times i sleep the better i feel. When i sleep in i can hardly sit up. When i was working 12 hour shifts i would sleep 2-3 hours at a time 2-3 times a day. Its a crazy schedule but sleeping a couple hours then getting up and about kept me feeling pretty good.

iefisherman

Drink by the bed is always a good idea. I have good and bad days in the morning. I find that the shorter times i sleep the better i feel. When i sleep in i can hardly sit up. When i was working 12 hour shifts i would sleep 2-3 hours at a time 2-3 times a day. Its a crazy schedule but sleeping a couple hours then getting up and about kept me feeling pretty good.

W

welshwitch

Yeah, or swimming in the ocean helps me a lot too. Yesterday I surfed for 1.5 hours in salt water, felt like pure magic today :)

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I have always been allergic to mornings but recent years have become ridiculous. My lungs are clear and these days so is my head but my abdomen both robs my sleep and delays my rising. I have routine for cleaning out my gut that takes about an hour, starting when I get up. Sometimes getting primed for a wonderful day puts me back in bed. Haven't got a solution?

LL

Strange, but the mornings after my son soaks in a bath full of epsom salts are easier than those he doesn't. Mornings are HARD and I feel awful pulling him out of bed (13 yrs old) but when he gets up and around after about an hour he's a whole new person. no real solutions here... It did help my kiddo to know he's not the only one that feels like crud in the mornings.

rmotion

We wake up dehydrated, in the normal course of respiration the body expels over a liter of water and that is just a normal person. I wake up and try to drink a big glass of water and some sea salt. Do my breather and get a cup of tea( which is a diuretic and need to take in more water).