Wanted to kill me a nurse today!!!

Boyblunder721

Earlier today my wifes nurse came in to her room to hang an IV, but it looked like nothing that she had been getting so I asked the nurse what is it and she said levoquin. Well my wife hasn't been getting levoquin so I looked closer at the bag and saw someone else's name on it. So I asked her if she brought it to the wrong room, so she said she'd be right back and see if it was tagged wrong. But I followed her out and found out that she did bring the med to the wrong room. I was gonna leave it at that but then she answered smugly it's just an antibiotic it wouldn't have hurt her anyways. So I layed into her and told her it didn't matter cuz what if it was something else with a worse outcome I also stated that I'm in the medical field as well and the first thing you're taught about giving meds is to check the label 3 times and obviously that wasn't done. Moral of the story don't trust anyone even your nurse be your own advocate.

Boyblunder721

Earlier today my wifes nurse came in to her room to hang an IV, but it looked like nothing that she had been getting so I asked the nurse what is it and she said levoquin. Well my wife hasn't been getting levoquin so I looked closer at the bag and saw someone else's name on it. So I asked her if she brought it to the wrong room, so she said she'd be right back and see if it was tagged wrong. But I followed her out and found out that she did bring the med to the wrong room. I was gonna leave it at that but then she answered smugly it's just an antibiotic it wouldn't have hurt her anyways. So I layed into her and told her it didn't matter cuz what if it was something else with a worse outcome I also stated that I'm in the medical field as well and the first thing you're taught about giving meds is to check the label 3 times and obviously that wasn't done. Moral of the story don't trust anyone even your nurse be your own advocate.

Boyblunder721

Boyblunder721

Boyblunder721

Lamp

Unfortunately this is something I've had to learn early on as well. It makes me nervous for ppl that are not as familiar with the hospital and blindly trust everything that is done. I've had to override alot of choices nurses have made for me, or for my siblings and vise versa. Moral of my story, good job for being a great husband and looking out for your sick wife!! I'm not so sure my husband would have caught that. =)

And needless to say, there are a great amount of good nurses out there. Its just the bad ones that seem to get talked about. But were all human and make mistakes. It would have been nice if she could have responded with a little bit of grace in your situation.

Take care and hope your wife is feeling better soon!!

Lamp

Unfortunately this is something I've had to learn early on as well. It makes me nervous for ppl that are not as familiar with the hospital and blindly trust everything that is done. I've had to override alot of choices nurses have made for me, or for my siblings and vise versa. Moral of my story, good job for being a great husband and looking out for your sick wife!! I'm not so sure my husband would have caught that. =)

And needless to say, there are a great amount of good nurses out there. Its just the bad ones that seem to get talked about. But were all human and make mistakes. It would have been nice if she could have responded with a little bit of grace in your situation.

Lamp

Lamp

Lamp

<br />
<br />And needless to say, there are a great amount of good nurses out there. Its just the bad ones that seem to get talked about. But were all human and make mistakes. It would have been nice if she could have responded with a little bit of grace in your situation.
<br />
<br />Take care and hope your wife is feeling better soon!!

robert321

oh yeah, i'm sure it'd be just scary to see numbers on how often stuff like that happens. In total I've spent 2 months of my life in the hospital (was only dxed 5 years ago) and in that time I've caught 2 medical mishaps.
the first time they brought me a prednisone one morning and said the on call pulmo dr perscribed it to me, but I hadn't seen a dr the previous day, I asked about it, the nurse I had that day was really good about looking into it, turns out the knothead really did perscribe me prednisone, then when she was making rounds the next day, she asked why the other cf patient on the floor wasn't given thier prednisone that morning.... because she didn't perscribe them any, she had grabbed the wrong chart
the other time, when the nurses called down to the pharmacy to get more enzymes sent up, they sent a couple days worth up, the genius in the pharmacy had sent mt20s instead of mt18s, if I hadn't caught it i would have been getting mt20s for a couple days
both of these are minor things but if there's minor things going on, there must be more severe things happening too, so according my statistics, a medical error occurs to a patient once for every 30 days in the hospital? meaning for every nurse a mistake is being made every week or every few days? My 1am logical thinking may be kicking in, but this seems like it's happening way too much

robert321

oh yeah, i'm sure it'd be just scary to see numbers on how often stuff like that happens. In total I've spent 2 months of my life in the hospital (was only dxed 5 years ago) and in that time I've caught 2 medical mishaps.
the first time they brought me a prednisone one morning and said the on call pulmo dr perscribed it to me, but I hadn't seen a dr the previous day, I asked about it, the nurse I had that day was really good about looking into it, turns out the knothead really did perscribe me prednisone, then when she was making rounds the next day, she asked why the other cf patient on the floor wasn't given thier prednisone that morning.... because she didn't perscribe them any, she had grabbed the wrong chart
the other time, when the nurses called down to the pharmacy to get more enzymes sent up, they sent a couple days worth up, the genius in the pharmacy had sent mt20s instead of mt18s, if I hadn't caught it i would have been getting mt20s for a couple days
both of these are minor things but if there's minor things going on, there must be more severe things happening too, so according my statistics, a medical error occurs to a patient once for every 30 days in the hospital? meaning for every nurse a mistake is being made every week or every few days? My 1am logical thinking may be kicking in, but this seems like it's happening way too much

robert321

robert321

robert321

<br />the first time they brought me a prednisone one morning and said the on call pulmo dr perscribed it to me, but I hadn't seen a dr the previous day, I asked about it, the nurse I had that day was really good about looking into it, turns out the knothead really did perscribe me prednisone, then when she was making rounds the next day, she asked why the other cf patient on the floor wasn't given thier prednisone that morning.... because she didn't perscribe them any, she had grabbed the wrong chart
<br />the other time, when the nurses called down to the pharmacy to get more enzymes sent up, they sent a couple days worth up, the genius in the pharmacy had sent mt20s instead of mt18s, if I hadn't caught it i would have been getting mt20s for a couple days
<br />both of these are minor things but if there's minor things going on, there must be more severe things happening too, so according my statistics, a medical error occurs to a patient once for every 30 days in the hospital? meaning for every nurse a mistake is being made every week or every few days? My 1am logical thinking may be kicking in, but this seems like it's happening way too much

J

jennylivingston

Some of my favorite things I heard from nurses WORKING ON THE CF FLOOR during my last stay were:

"YOU HAVE CF? HAVE YOU HAD IT VERY LONG?"--Nope, just picked it up last week.

"THAT COUGH DOESN'T SOUND GOOD. DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GETTING SICK?"--Naw...I just like staying in the hospital for fun.

"YOU'RE ONLY 22? WHAT A SHORT LIFE!"--As if I were dying RIGHT THEN!

During that same stay, immediately after my doctor said they were taking me off Tobra because my levels were OUT OF CONTROL, my nurse brought it in and hooked it up. I told her I didn't think I was supposed to be on it anymore, but she insisted I needed it. Shortly after she left the room ANOTHER nurse came in and unhooked it because SHE had heard the doctor saying how high my levels were. And she wasn't even my nurse!

I think there should be a number you call when you feel your life is in danger due to incompetent nurses...

J

jennylivingston

Some of my favorite things I heard from nurses WORKING ON THE CF FLOOR during my last stay were:

"THAT COUGH DOESN'T SOUND GOOD. DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GETTING SICK?"--Naw...I just like staying in the hospital for fun.

During that same stay, immediately after my doctor said they were taking me off Tobra because my levels were OUT OF CONTROL, my nurse brought it in and hooked it up. I told her I didn't think I was supposed to be on it anymore, but she insisted I needed it. Shortly after she left the room ANOTHER nurse came in and unhooked it because SHE had heard the doctor saying how high my levels were. And she wasn't even my nurse!

I think there should be a number you call when you feel your life is in danger due to incompetent nurses...

J

jennylivingston

J

jennylivingston

J

jennylivingston

<br />
<br />"YOU HAVE CF? HAVE YOU HAD IT VERY LONG?"--Nope, just picked it up last week.
<br />
<br />"THAT COUGH DOESN'T SOUND GOOD. DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GETTING SICK?"--Naw...I just like staying in the hospital for fun.
<br />
<br />"YOU'RE ONLY 22? WHAT A SHORT LIFE!"--As if I were dying RIGHT THEN!
<br />
<br />During that same stay, immediately after my doctor said they were taking me off Tobra because my levels were OUT OF CONTROL, my nurse brought it in and hooked it up. I told her I didn't think I was supposed to be on it anymore, but she insisted I needed it. Shortly after she left the room ANOTHER nurse came in and unhooked it because SHE had heard the doctor saying how high my levels were. And she wasn't even my nurse!
<br />
<br />I think there should be a number you call when you feel your life is in danger due to incompetent nurses...