weight and BMI

TestifyToLove

M's weight was 44.3lb this last Monday at the clinic. He just turned 6 last week. He's 50% for weight and 25% for height. His BMI is 18 and he's at 75% for his BMI.

He's short. He's probably always going to be short. He's 100% Mexican descent, including Mexian Indian. I don't know what his old clinic did to handle that. It was S. Cal, so I assume they would be aware that Hispanics tend to be shorter than Caucasians. But, his new clinic said given his genetics 25% for height may be as good as he ever hits. They expect he's just going to be short for his life.

I am tremendously grateful though. 2 short years ago he was on TPN for 7 months, failure to thrive with a massive bowel obstruction and unable to tolerate nutrition, not even through his gj-tube. He basically spent the duration of his first 4 years on and off of TPN and constantly in failure to thrive So, he's come a LONG way from where he was when he was both removed from his birth home and where his foster mom was given him and fought to keep him alive in the face of some surgeons who refused to even look for another bowel obstruction.

TestifyToLove

M's weight was 44.3lb this last Monday at the clinic. He just turned 6 last week. He's 50% for weight and 25% for height. His BMI is 18 and he's at 75% for his BMI.

He's short. He's probably always going to be short. He's 100% Mexican descent, including Mexian Indian. I don't know what his old clinic did to handle that. It was S. Cal, so I assume they would be aware that Hispanics tend to be shorter than Caucasians. But, his new clinic said given his genetics 25% for height may be as good as he ever hits. They expect he's just going to be short for his life.

I am tremendously grateful though. 2 short years ago he was on TPN for 7 months, failure to thrive with a massive bowel obstruction and unable to tolerate nutrition, not even through his gj-tube. He basically spent the duration of his first 4 years on and off of TPN and constantly in failure to thrive So, he's come a LONG way from where he was when he was both removed from his birth home and where his foster mom was given him and fought to keep him alive in the face of some surgeons who refused to even look for another bowel obstruction.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />He's short. He's probably always going to be short. He's 100% Mexican descent, including Mexian Indian. I don't know what his old clinic did to handle that. It was S. Cal, so I assume they would be aware that Hispanics tend to be shorter than Caucasians. But, his new clinic said given his genetics 25% for height may be as good as he ever hits. They expect he's just going to be short for his life.
<br />
<br />I am tremendously grateful though. 2 short years ago he was on TPN for 7 months, failure to thrive with a massive bowel obstruction and unable to tolerate nutrition, not even through his gj-tube. He basically spent the duration of his first 4 years on and off of TPN and constantly in failure to thrive So, he's come a LONG way from where he was when he was both removed from his birth home and where his foster mom was given him and fought to keep him alive in the face of some surgeons who refused to even look for another bowel obstruction.

Alyssa

I realize I am way off the mark here with this question (not helping the original poster)... but is there a different scale (number system) used for little kids and adults when you guys are using those BMI numbers?

My son just turned 22. He has always been pancreatic sufficient so we haven't really dealt with any weight gain issues or nutritional problems... however, between his last 3 month visit he has lost 9 pounds. They are not concerned yet as we think it might be just because he quit eating cookies and coke almost every day. But they told me his BMI was still 26% and that for males his age with CF they like to see a minimum of 22% so they didn't think the weight loss was anything to worry about yet....so my question is...why are you guys quoting numbers in the high 80%'s but they told me he was 26% ??? He is 5' 11" 188 lbs.

Alyssa

I realize I am way off the mark here with this question (not helping the original poster)... but is there a different scale (number system) used for little kids and adults when you guys are using those BMI numbers?

My son just turned 22. He has always been pancreatic sufficient so we haven't really dealt with any weight gain issues or nutritional problems... however, between his last 3 month visit he has lost 9 pounds. They are not concerned yet as we think it might be just because he quit eating cookies and coke almost every day. But they told me his BMI was still 26% and that for males his age with CF they like to see a minimum of 22% so they didn't think the weight loss was anything to worry about yet....so my question is...why are you guys quoting numbers in the high 80%'s but they told me he was 26% ??? He is 5' 11" 188 lbs.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />My son just turned 22. He has always been pancreatic sufficient so we haven't really dealt with any weight gain issues or nutritional problems... however, between his last 3 month visit he has lost 9 pounds. They are not concerned yet as we think it might be just because he quit eating cookies and coke almost every day. But they told me his BMI was still 26% and that for males his age with CF they like to see a minimum of 22% so they didn't think the weight loss was anything to worry about yet....so my question is...why are you guys quoting numbers in the high 80%'s but they told me he was 26% ??? He is 5' 11" 188 lbs.

S

sdelorenzo

We are referring to something different when we say 80%bmi. We are talking about the comparison of weight/height ratio to other children their age, not their actual bmi score. Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

We are referring to something different when we say 80%bmi. We are talking about the comparison of weight/height ratio to other children their age, not their actual bmi score. Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo