Weight/Constipation

mom4holly

Please help me if you can-I don't want to feel alarmed about nothing. Holly has been pretty constipated for about a month now. we have given her a laxative, she has been doing the Miralax (about a week) & I have given her apple juice (normally helps her go within an hour).

when she does go it takes her atleast 30 minutes & it's like little hard balls that are floating. I'm not sure why that is. she doens't take enzymes.

since her last hospitalizaton she has lost 8 lbs that she has not been able to put back on no matter what I give her.

can someone help me-i have never had to deal with any of the weight issue before & i don't really know how to tell if they are cf related at all-please help if you can.

mom4holly

Please help me if you can-I don't want to feel alarmed about nothing. Holly has been pretty constipated for about a month now. we have given her a laxative, she has been doing the Miralax (about a week) & I have given her apple juice (normally helps her go within an hour).

when she does go it takes her atleast 30 minutes & it's like little hard balls that are floating. I'm not sure why that is. she doens't take enzymes.

since her last hospitalizaton she has lost 8 lbs that she has not been able to put back on no matter what I give her.

can someone help me-i have never had to deal with any of the weight issue before & i don't really know how to tell if they are cf related at all-please help if you can.

mom4holly

mom4holly

mom4holly

S

sdelorenzo

Is Holly seeing a pediatric GI dr who is familiar with treating cf patients? If not, she needs to be seen soon. They should be able to help you with all of her digestive problems (constipation, weight loss). Why doesn't she take enzymes? My nephew's main problem before he was diagnosed at age 4 was constipation. Enzymes can help regulate bowel movements. He was immediately started on enzymes after his diagnosis and it really improved his problem. Also, I would definitely think the 8 pound loss of weight is related to cf. I have a six year old with cf, so I know 8 pounds is A LOT of weight to lose. Hope she gains some back soon.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf, aunt to Joseph, 10 with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Is Holly seeing a pediatric GI dr who is familiar with treating cf patients? If not, she needs to be seen soon. They should be able to help you with all of her digestive problems (constipation, weight loss). Why doesn't she take enzymes? My nephew's main problem before he was diagnosed at age 4 was constipation. Enzymes can help regulate bowel movements. He was immediately started on enzymes after his diagnosis and it really improved his problem. Also, I would definitely think the 8 pound loss of weight is related to cf. I have a six year old with cf, so I know 8 pounds is A LOT of weight to lose. Hope she gains some back soon.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

pjspiegle

Ditto Sharon. Is there some reason she is not on enzymes? I know that there are a few CFer's that don't take enzymes, but not very many. I would think with that kind of weight loss and the constipation they would want to try the enzymes. Has she had any test that prove that she is pancreatic sufficient? Either way, I think I would be asking about enzymes and prevacid which helps with the absorption of the enzymes.

pjspiegle

Ditto Sharon. Is there some reason she is not on enzymes? I know that there are a few CFer's that don't take enzymes, but not very many. I would think with that kind of weight loss and the constipation they would want to try the enzymes. Has she had any test that prove that she is pancreatic sufficient? Either way, I think I would be asking about enzymes and prevacid which helps with the absorption of the enzymes.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

mom4holly

she has already had the test to confirm that she IS pancriatic sufficiant done when she was dx with CF, can this change? my ped dr gave me a rx for a laxative to give her & also told me to start having her drink pediasure 4x day for the weight-we will see if this helps. I was hoping to have more responses to this thread.

mom4holly

she has already had the test to confirm that she IS pancriatic sufficiant done when she was dx with CF, can this change? my ped dr gave me a rx for a laxative to give her & also told me to start having her drink pediasure 4x day for the weight-we will see if this helps. I was hoping to have more responses to this thread.

mom4holly

mom4holly

mom4holly