weight & FEV1

sarabeth87

I'm not sure how to ask this question and make it make sense, but as I've mentioned, my FEV1 has gone from being in the 90s to 70% in the past two years. Also in the past two years, I've somehow gained 20 lbs. Is it possible that my FEV1 hasn't really decreased that much, but that when they enter the numbers before I blow in the machine, that my being 20 lbs heavier makes it look like my FEV1 should be higher?

sarabeth87

I'm not sure how to ask this question and make it make sense, but as I've mentioned, my FEV1 has gone from being in the 90s to 70% in the past two years. Also in the past two years, I've somehow gained 20 lbs. Is it possible that my FEV1 hasn't really decreased that much, but that when they enter the numbers before I blow in the machine, that my being 20 lbs heavier makes it look like my FEV1 should be higher?

sarabeth87

sarabeth87

sarabeth87

LouLou

nope. weight is not figured into the % calculations. only age and height.

it is completely possible though that there is a correlation between your FEV1 dropping with the weight gain. If the weight gain puts you beyond a healthy BMI then it might be a sign you are not in shape. FEV1 can drop when your physical stamina drops. This is why so many people exercise like mad with cf.

Have you been exercising during the time of this weight gain?
Are you eating too much healthy food and need to portion control or are you eating junk?

Two sayings that come to mind...

"Garbage in, garbage out."
"Use it or loss it."

Also, have you done an oral glucose tolerance test lately? This should be done yearly to make sure you don't develop CFRD.

LouLou

it is completely possible though that there is a correlation between your FEV1 dropping with the weight gain. If the weight gain puts you beyond a healthy BMI then it might be a sign you are not in shape. FEV1 can drop when your physical stamina drops. This is why so many people exercise like mad with cf.

Are you eating too much healthy food and need to portion control or are you eating junk?

"Use it or loss it."

Also, have you done an oral glucose tolerance test lately? This should be done yearly to make sure you don't develop CFRD.

LouLou

"Use it or loss it."

LouLou

"Use it or loss it."

LouLou

"Use it or loss it."

jfarel

With people with low bmi, adding pounds normally boosts FEV1. That is what I have heard. If your bmi was average to slightly above average to begin with, then adding 20 lbs may be cause for concern. You should ask your doctor about that.

jfarel

With people with low bmi, adding pounds normally boosts FEV1. That is what I have heard. If your bmi was average to slightly above average to begin with, then adding 20 lbs may be cause for concern. You should ask your doctor about that.

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

Dreamer

My weight and FEV1 seem to have an indirect correlation. Whenever one goes up, the other goes down and vice versa. It's very frustrating for the nutritionist because I am always at my best FEV1 when I am slightly underweight and it is lower when I fall into the healthy range. It's a mystery!

I have always attributed some of it to the change in weight because I thought that affected the expected numbers...

Dreamer

My weight and FEV1 seem to have an indirect correlation. Whenever one goes up, the other goes down and vice versa. It's very frustrating for the nutritionist because I am always at my best FEV1 when I am slightly underweight and it is lower when I fall into the healthy range. It's a mystery!

I have always attributed some of it to the change in weight because I thought that affected the expected numbers...

Dreamer

Dreamer

Dreamer