Weight Gain for Newborn

NanaKay

My granddaughter Khloe is 5 weeks old and has CF. She was taken 4 weeks early because of a blockage in her intestines. She is recovering from that procedure, but she can't gain weight. They can't do the surgery to put her back together until she gains some weight. She weighed 4 lbs. 15 oz. at birth. She lost down to 4 lbs. even and then gained to 4 lbs. 13 oz. That was when she was on the TPN. They have removed all the added liquids and are just using formula. She takes the enzymes, but nothing is working. She is back down to 4 lbs. 9 oz. Also she may be having liver problems. She is very yellow. Anyone been through this situation or any advice?

NanaKay

My granddaughter Khloe is 5 weeks old and has CF. She was taken 4 weeks early because of a blockage in her intestines. She is recovering from that procedure, but she can't gain weight. They can't do the surgery to put her back together until she gains some weight. She weighed 4 lbs. 15 oz. at birth. She lost down to 4 lbs. even and then gained to 4 lbs. 13 oz. That was when she was on the TPN. They have removed all the added liquids and are just using formula. She takes the enzymes, but nothing is working. She is back down to 4 lbs. 9 oz. Also she may be having liver problems. She is very yellow. Anyone been through this situation or any advice?

NanaKay

NanaKay

NanaKay

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
You mentioned the enzymes and 24 calorie formula in your post under nutrition. Which was what DS was on. He did have issues with his liver; however, he was put on actigall and the tpn was stopped because he was beginning to gain weight and was eating oaky.

Has the surgeon been back to discuss any of these issues with her or is she just dealing with the dietician. I know we had some issues with our dietician -- mainly that the other doctors seemed to defer to her in terms of the type of formula ds was on and HATED. Fortunately, the CF doctor stepped in.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
You mentioned the enzymes and 24 calorie formula in your post under nutrition. Which was what DS was on. He did have issues with his liver; however, he was put on actigall and the tpn was stopped because he was beginning to gain weight and was eating oaky.

Has the surgeon been back to discuss any of these issues with her or is she just dealing with the dietician. I know we had some issues with our dietician -- mainly that the other doctors seemed to defer to her in terms of the type of formula ds was on and HATED. Fortunately, the CF doctor stepped in.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Has the surgeon been back to discuss any of these issues with her or is she just dealing with the dietician. I know we had some issues with our dietician -- mainly that the other doctors seemed to defer to her in terms of the type of formula ds was on and HATED. Fortunately, the CF doctor stepped in.

NanaKay

My daughter, Keisa, told me last night that the surgeon is turning her nutrition over to the nutritionist and neonatologist. They are probably going to put her back on the TPN. Do you know what causes the liver problems? She takes the formula fine, it's just her body will not absorb any of it. I'm several hours away and can't be there all the time when the doctors come in. My daughter is a young, single mother and doesn't know a lot of questions to ask. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

NanaKay

My daughter, Keisa, told me last night that the surgeon is turning her nutrition over to the nutritionist and neonatologist. They are probably going to put her back on the TPN. Do you know what causes the liver problems? She takes the formula fine, it's just her body will not absorb any of it. I'm several hours away and can't be there all the time when the doctors come in. My daughter is a young, single mother and doesn't know a lot of questions to ask. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

NanaKay

NanaKay

NanaKay

S

semperfiohana

when my son was born he was 6lbs even. he came home at 5lbs 2oz. he does not have cf, i do. but he couldn't keep any of his formula down at first. he came home at 8 days old. even at that the doctor didnt' really want to let him go, but the nursery was starting to get crowded on the nicu side. so he decided to let us bring him home. they tried him on all formuals. he's on the nutriamgen (i have no idea how to spell it) it's the hypoallergenic formula and he has rice added to it and it's the 24 calorie. on top of the formula and rice he's on zantac and reglan. do you know what kind of formula she is on? aj was born at 35 weeks.

S

semperfiohana

when my son was born he was 6lbs even. he came home at 5lbs 2oz. he does not have cf, i do. but he couldn't keep any of his formula down at first. he came home at 8 days old. even at that the doctor didnt' really want to let him go, but the nursery was starting to get crowded on the nicu side. so he decided to let us bring him home. they tried him on all formuals. he's on the nutriamgen (i have no idea how to spell it) it's the hypoallergenic formula and he has rice added to it and it's the 24 calorie. on top of the formula and rice he's on zantac and reglan. do you know what kind of formula she is on? aj was born at 35 weeks.

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana