what are the chances

mom2leila

Yes, they could diagnose the baby with CF from an amnio, but only if they were checking for it. Usually chromosomes are done with an anmio, and CF would be a different test. We had CVS testing with the baby we had after our daughter with CF was born, and they were able to tell us he would be a chromosomally normal male child that carries one gene for CF.
Also, our daughter had bowel blockage (meconium ileus) as well. When she was born we were told that 90% of children who have meconium ileus also have CF, but that only 10-15% of children with CF present with meconium ileus. Hope this helps.

mom2leila

Yes, they could diagnose the baby with CF from an amnio, but only if they were checking for it. Usually chromosomes are done with an anmio, and CF would be a different test. We had CVS testing with the baby we had after our daughter with CF was born, and they were able to tell us he would be a chromosomally normal male child that carries one gene for CF.
Also, our daughter had bowel blockage (meconium ileus) as well. When she was born we were told that 90% of children who have meconium ileus also have CF, but that only 10-15% of children with CF present with meconium ileus. Hope this helps.

mom2leila

mom2leila

mom2leila

<br />Also, our daughter had bowel blockage (meconium ileus) as well. When she was born we were told that 90% of children who have meconium ileus also have CF, but that only 10-15% of children with CF present with meconium ileus. Hope this helps.

just1more

While not all patients with CF have meconium ileus (bowel blockage at birth); most cases of meconium ileus lead to a dx of CF.

Given that the parents are both known carriers, I would have to venture that the odds of CF are very high.

Obviously this will need to be confirmed; and could be wrong but the odds are very strong for CF.

just1more

While not all patients with CF have meconium ileus (bowel blockage at birth); most cases of meconium ileus lead to a dx of CF.

Given that the parents are both known carriers, I would have to venture that the odds of CF are very high.

Obviously this will need to be confirmed; and could be wrong but the odds are very strong for CF.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />Given that the parents are both known carriers, I would have to venture that the odds of CF are very high.
<br />
<br />Obviously this will need to be confirmed; and could be wrong but the odds are very strong for CF.

M

Mommafirst

I'm not a medical statistician, but my guess is that a child born to parent who are both known CF carriers, and that same child is born with meconium illeus seems like a pretty high indicator of CF.

My daughter was born with a meconium plug (not quite the same but basically the same) and we found a reference that said that while only a small percentage of those with CF (like 10%) are born with the MI, nearly 90% of all MI cases turn into a CF diagnosis. I was hoping that my daughter would be in the small fraction that just have an MI by chance and since we had no family history, I kept that hope alive while all the testing was happening, but in the end, she did have CF.

Good luck.

M

Mommafirst

I'm not a medical statistician, but my guess is that a child born to parent who are both known CF carriers, and that same child is born with meconium illeus seems like a pretty high indicator of CF.

My daughter was born with a meconium plug (not quite the same but basically the same) and we found a reference that said that while only a small percentage of those with CF (like 10%) are born with the MI, nearly 90% of all MI cases turn into a CF diagnosis. I was hoping that my daughter would be in the small fraction that just have an MI by chance and since we had no family history, I kept that hope alive while all the testing was happening, but in the end, she did have CF.

Good luck.

M

Mommafirst

Good luck.

M

Mommafirst

Good luck.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />My daughter was born with a meconium plug (not quite the same but basically the same) and we found a reference that said that while only a small percentage of those with CF (like 10%) are born with the MI, nearly 90% of all MI cases turn into a CF diagnosis. I was hoping that my daughter would be in the small fraction that just have an MI by chance and since we had no family history, I kept that hope alive while all the testing was happening, but in the end, she did have CF.
<br />
<br />Good luck.

Alyssa

ditto to the "chances are very high that you are in deed dealing with CF"

Welcome to the list - you will find much valuable information and support here!

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />Welcome to the list - you will find much valuable information and support here!