What does this mean???

Jackie

My 5 year old daughter had the sweat test done and I just briefly
spoke with the doctor who said her tests results were a 51. He said
we will have to do the test again.<br>
<br>
So my question is what does 51 mean? Is that really high? low?<br>
<br>
Thank you to anyone that can answer this.

Jackie

<br>
<br>

Jackie

<br>
<br>

Chaggie

A 51 is a borderline result, 2 are usually done for confirmation. Here's a good site that should answer your questions on exactly what a sweat test is..

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/hw5781.asp">http://www.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/hw5781.asp</a>

Chaggie

A 51 is a borderline result, 2 are usually done for confirmation. Here's a good site that should answer your questions on exactly what a sweat test is..

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/hw5781.asp">http://www.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/hw5781.asp</a>

Chaggie

Jackie

Thanks for the quick reply. I am so nervous.<br>
<br>
I read that site but am still unsure just what
"borderline" means. What if she gets tested again and its
still "borderline"<br>
<br>
Another thing I am confused about is the doctor said we will test
her in 3 months. Why 3 months??? Why not tomorrow?

Jackie

<br>
still "borderline"<br>
<br>

Jackie

<br>
still "borderline"<br>
<br>

Chaggie

If it still comes back borderline they will need to do a genetic test. I would push for one anyway regardless of the outcome of the next sweat test. There should be no reason they can't do it tomorow and they should be. To wait 3 months for this is crazy, push as hard as you can to get it done now.

Chaggie

If it still comes back borderline they will need to do a genetic test. I would push for one anyway regardless of the outcome of the next sweat test. There should be no reason they can't do it tomorow and they should be. To wait 3 months for this is crazy, push as hard as you can to get it done now.

Chaggie

Jackie

Thank you again for the reply.  After getting your reply I had
the doctor paged right away.<br>
So now I am just sitting here waiting for him to phone me back so I
can tell him I want the tests done ASAP. Playing the waiting game
is enough to drive you insane.

Jackie

Jackie

chipper28

Thought I'd add, I'd push for not only a cf genetic test, but one that checks for all known mutations versus a panel. There's good medical justification for this, with the link between borderline sweat levels and having even more rare mutations.

Also, there is no reason to wait three months on a sweat test. They can in fact do it the next day and I even think i've heard of people having both the same day. When I first read the post, i missed your childs age and i thought perhaps you had an infant and they were wanting to wait and see if the sweat level increased with age, but at 5 that really doesn't make sense.

With a 51, the doctor should be even more concerned than he was when he raised the issue of testing. However, many pediatricians and general practitioner types really don't understand the testing. If you don't get the response from him that you think is appropriate to protect your daughters health, I'd consider contacting either the CF clinic in your area (or the closest) or a pediatric pulmonologist who might be better able to help yall figure everything out.

Best of luck!

chipper28

Thought I'd add, I'd push for not only a cf genetic test, but one that checks for all known mutations versus a panel. There's good medical justification for this, with the link between borderline sweat levels and having even more rare mutations.

Also, there is no reason to wait three months on a sweat test. They can in fact do it the next day and I even think i've heard of people having both the same day. When I first read the post, i missed your childs age and i thought perhaps you had an infant and they were wanting to wait and see if the sweat level increased with age, but at 5 that really doesn't make sense.

With a 51, the doctor should be even more concerned than he was when he raised the issue of testing. However, many pediatricians and general practitioner types really don't understand the testing. If you don't get the response from him that you think is appropriate to protect your daughters health, I'd consider contacting either the CF clinic in your area (or the closest) or a pediatric pulmonologist who might be better able to help yall figure everything out.

Best of luck!