What else can I feed my 6 month old to help with weight gain

BrettsMom

My 6 month old is 15 lbs. 6 oz, and according to the CF clinic, not good enough even though he's consistantly gained weight. They say he's not gaining enough weight.

I give him 3 scoops of formula, 2 of rice cereal, per 5 oz of water. I have also been adding 1 tbsp of heavy cream to each bottle. Even after all of this, he only gained 10 ounces this last month.

I asked about putting him on solids and the answer was no. They say if he doesn't gain more than a pound by his next appointment, he has to go on pregestimil, which I have tried on him and he hates.

He takes 1 Creon 10 with every feeding. I'm afraid if I give him more to eat, the enzymes won't be sufficient. I'm getting no assistance from the clinic with suggestions as to how to help him bulk up. They keep saying the Pregestimil is the fix all, but he hates it.

What about Coconut Oil? Blending up regular food? Adding Butter?

HELP.

Dori, mom of Brett - 6 months CF, DF508/3359delC, Brandon 2 - CF Carrier.

BrettsMom

My 6 month old is 15 lbs. 6 oz, and according to the CF clinic, not good enough even though he's consistantly gained weight. They say he's not gaining enough weight.

I give him 3 scoops of formula, 2 of rice cereal, per 5 oz of water. I have also been adding 1 tbsp of heavy cream to each bottle. Even after all of this, he only gained 10 ounces this last month.

I asked about putting him on solids and the answer was no. They say if he doesn't gain more than a pound by his next appointment, he has to go on pregestimil, which I have tried on him and he hates.

He takes 1 Creon 10 with every feeding. I'm afraid if I give him more to eat, the enzymes won't be sufficient. I'm getting no assistance from the clinic with suggestions as to how to help him bulk up. They keep saying the Pregestimil is the fix all, but he hates it.

HELP.

BrettsMom

HELP.

BrettsMom

HELP.

BrettsMom

<br />
<br />I give him 3 scoops of formula, 2 of rice cereal, per 5 oz of water. I have also been adding 1 tbsp of heavy cream to each bottle. Even after all of this, he only gained 10 ounces this last month.
<br />
<br />I asked about putting him on solids and the answer was no. They say if he doesn't gain more than a pound by his next appointment, he has to go on pregestimil, which I have tried on him and he hates.
<br />
<br />He takes 1 Creon 10 with every feeding. I'm afraid if I give him more to eat, the enzymes won't be sufficient. I'm getting no assistance from the clinic with suggestions as to how to help him bulk up. They keep saying the Pregestimil is the fix all, but he hates it.
<br />
<br />What about Coconut Oil? Blending up regular food? Adding Butter?
<br />
<br />HELP.
<br />
<br />Dori, mom of Brett - 6 months CF, DF508/3359delC, Brandon 2 - CF Carrier.

macarenacondon

My 5 months son has gained weight in very good curve since he is taking Pediasure and Creon 10000 with every feeding. Maybe you can ask your doctor about this formula.

Macarena and Miguel, 2 sons Cristóbal 5 months W/CF, Ignacio 5 Years old WO/CF

macarenacondon

My 5 months son has gained weight in very good curve since he is taking Pediasure and Creon 10000 with every feeding. Maybe you can ask your doctor about this formula.

macarenacondon

macarenacondon

macarenacondon

<br />
<br />Macarena and Miguel, 2 sons Cristóbal 5 months W/CF, Ignacio 5 Years old WO/CF

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was 6 months old his normal CF doctor gave us the go ahead for regular food, including adding cream. He indicated we should start finding some high calorie snacks, beverages that ds would like, to get him used to the taste, otherwise it might be more difficult when he's older to get him to drink whole milk or cream. DH was raised on skim and to this day doesn't even like 1%. Local doctors and dietician seemed to think otherwise, so it got to the point that I didn't tell them about the nestle's powder or cream I added to DS' bottle.

I seem to recall when DS was about 8 months he ate a LOT of yobaby yogurt, babyfood oatmeal with pears (I added a dab of butter), baby food meats & stage 2 mac & cheese. At daycare they ground up whatever everyone else was having -- tuna casserole, fish sticks, spaggettie. I also would grind up chicken ala king, bean soup, pasta dishes....

Make sure if you're going to add extra fat, to make sure he's getting adequate enzymes. I just started cooking with coconut oil, prior to that I'd add olive oil to some of his foods or butter.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was 6 months old his normal CF doctor gave us the go ahead for regular food, including adding cream. He indicated we should start finding some high calorie snacks, beverages that ds would like, to get him used to the taste, otherwise it might be more difficult when he's older to get him to drink whole milk or cream. DH was raised on skim and to this day doesn't even like 1%. Local doctors and dietician seemed to think otherwise, so it got to the point that I didn't tell them about the nestle's powder or cream I added to DS' bottle.

I seem to recall when DS was about 8 months he ate a LOT of yobaby yogurt, babyfood oatmeal with pears (I added a dab of butter), baby food meats & stage 2 mac & cheese. At daycare they ground up whatever everyone else was having -- tuna casserole, fish sticks, spaggettie. I also would grind up chicken ala king, bean soup, pasta dishes....

Make sure if you're going to add extra fat, to make sure he's getting adequate enzymes. I just started cooking with coconut oil, prior to that I'd add olive oil to some of his foods or butter.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I seem to recall when DS was about 8 months he ate a LOT of yobaby yogurt, babyfood oatmeal with pears (I added a dab of butter), baby food meats & stage 2 mac & cheese. At daycare they ground up whatever everyone else was having -- tuna casserole, fish sticks, spaggettie. I also would grind up chicken ala king, bean soup, pasta dishes....
<br />
<br />Make sure if you're going to add extra fat, to make sure he's getting adequate enzymes. I just started cooking with coconut oil, prior to that I'd add olive oil to some of his foods or butter.

crickit715

my daughter was on pregestimil from the start because she couldnt tolerate breast milk and it has worked great....but there is also another formula comparible called Alimentum Advanced...we used it when our pharmacy couldnt find pregestimil and my daughter seemed to like the taste better....maybe suggest that to the dietician at the cf clinic!

crickit715

my daughter was on pregestimil from the start because she couldnt tolerate breast milk and it has worked great....but there is also another formula comparible called Alimentum Advanced...we used it when our pharmacy couldnt find pregestimil and my daughter seemed to like the taste better....maybe suggest that to the dietician at the cf clinic!

crickit715

crickit715

crickit715