What else can I feed my 6 month old to help with weight gain

Kimber1

Hey Bretts mom

I dont know if you have sorted out the problem yet. I have a five month (only just) old with cf diagnosed at 3 weeks she started solids just before 4 months and is gaining weight like you wouldnt believe. She is 16lb already. Her dietician (who specializes in CF) encouraged me to start her on as much food as possible I add butter and salt to everything except her fruit which I add cream. I also roast alot of her vegetables using oil. Apart from that she was breastfeed to 3months and is now on just a normal formula. Her dietician seems to be extremely pleased with her weight gain and everything she suggests seems to work.

Hope I was of some assistance

Kimber1

Hey Bretts mom

I dont know if you have sorted out the problem yet. I have a five month (only just) old with cf diagnosed at 3 weeks she started solids just before 4 months and is gaining weight like you wouldnt believe. She is 16lb already. Her dietician (who specializes in CF) encouraged me to start her on as much food as possible I add butter and salt to everything except her fruit which I add cream. I also roast alot of her vegetables using oil. Apart from that she was breastfeed to 3months and is now on just a normal formula. Her dietician seems to be extremely pleased with her weight gain and everything she suggests seems to work.

Kimber1

Hey Bretts mom

Kimber1

Hey Bretts mom

Kimber1

Hey Bretts mom
<br />
<br />I dont know if you have sorted out the problem yet. I have a five month (only just) old with cf diagnosed at 3 weeks she started solids just before 4 months and is gaining weight like you wouldnt believe. She is 16lb already. Her dietician (who specializes in CF) encouraged me to start her on as much food as possible I add butter and salt to everything except her fruit which I add cream. I also roast alot of her vegetables using oil. Apart from that she was breastfeed to 3months and is now on just a normal formula. Her dietician seems to be extremely pleased with her weight gain and everything she suggests seems to work.
<br />
<br />Hope I was of some assistance

tabbycat821

I know how frustrated you feel we keep having issues with our dietician too. Last time we got our 3 month old weighed he weighed almost 11lbs and had gained about 10oz in 5 days but this still wasn't good enough for her. Our son is on pregestimil but as someone stated altimentum is basically the same. We started adding Activia yogurt to his bottles, the Dr. said this was fine. It helps with his digestion and adds a few calories. Our son is also on like five different meds so when he needs these I mix them with baby cereal which adds a small amount of calories, the clinic said this was fine as well. I also find it odd that they don't suggest solids,by 6 months old most babies have started solids. I decided that when our son is 4 months old I'm going to start cereal for breakfast because he used to get cereal in his bottles and now gets it with meds so he will be ready and if the dietician doesn't like it oh well. You need to find what works for your child, you know them better than anyone and will know what works best. Sorry I was longwinded but I hope that helps.

tabbycat821

I know how frustrated you feel we keep having issues with our dietician too. Last time we got our 3 month old weighed he weighed almost 11lbs and had gained about 10oz in 5 days but this still wasn't good enough for her. Our son is on pregestimil but as someone stated altimentum is basically the same. We started adding Activia yogurt to his bottles, the Dr. said this was fine. It helps with his digestion and adds a few calories. Our son is also on like five different meds so when he needs these I mix them with baby cereal which adds a small amount of calories, the clinic said this was fine as well. I also find it odd that they don't suggest solids,by 6 months old most babies have started solids. I decided that when our son is 4 months old I'm going to start cereal for breakfast because he used to get cereal in his bottles and now gets it with meds so he will be ready and if the dietician doesn't like it oh well. You need to find what works for your child, you know them better than anyone and will know what works best. Sorry I was longwinded but I hope that helps.

tabbycat821

tabbycat821

tabbycat821

BabyBeauty

What is the calories per ounce? I would make sure you are maxing the formula out on calories. The dietician should give you this information if you don't already have it.

My daughter did not mind the pregestimil, but we still progressed on to a more broken down formula of Elecare. We also added extra calories to her formula with a product called Duocal. It is a powder you add to the formula to increase calories/fat. Maybe that could concentrate the formula more. Some kids have a hard time breaking down milk products and need a little extra help with alternatives.

All in all I would call your dietician and ask for more help. They are there to make this journey as easy on you as they can.

BabyBeauty

What is the calories per ounce? I would make sure you are maxing the formula out on calories. The dietician should give you this information if you don't already have it.

My daughter did not mind the pregestimil, but we still progressed on to a more broken down formula of Elecare. We also added extra calories to her formula with a product called Duocal. It is a powder you add to the formula to increase calories/fat. Maybe that could concentrate the formula more. Some kids have a hard time breaking down milk products and need a little extra help with alternatives.

All in all I would call your dietician and ask for more help. They are there to make this journey as easy on you as they can.

BabyBeauty

BabyBeauty

BabyBeauty

<br />
<br />My daughter did not mind the pregestimil, but we still progressed on to a more broken down formula of Elecare. We also added extra calories to her formula with a product called Duocal. It is a powder you add to the formula to increase calories/fat. Maybe that could concentrate the formula more. Some kids have a hard time breaking down milk products and need a little extra help with alternatives.
<br />
<br />All in all I would call your dietician and ask for more help. They are there to make this journey as easy on you as they can.

K

kimmersaus

My son was diagnosed when he was 7 months..

What I did for extra cals

1. I added half and half to the bottle
2. You can add butter to the bottle or olive oil
3. Mash potatoes with lots of butter mixed with D milk
4. Maybe u can ask about the Boost 1.5 cal and adding half of that with formula..

Mom of two with CF Kim 6 and Austyn 2

K

kimmersaus

4. Maybe u can ask about the Boost 1.5 cal and adding half of that with formula..

K

kimmersaus

K

kimmersaus

K

kimmersaus

<br />
<br />What I did for extra cals
<br />
<br />1. I added half and half to the bottle
<br />2. You can add butter to the bottle or olive oil
<br />3. Mash potatoes with lots of butter mixed with D milk
<br />4. Maybe u can ask about the Boost 1.5 cal and adding half of that with formula..
<br />
<br />Mom of two with CF Kim 6 and Austyn 2