What have we learnt that we were not told???

pjspiegle

Buffets are dangerous because of all the people touching and handling the food, people sneezing and coughing on it, people touching it without washing hands, etc. Also, because the food is setting out, it is at higher risk of growing stuff, especially if it isn't kept at the proper temperatures. Buffets are like hottubs in that they potentially grow thousands of bacterias. Not sure why, but they are at extremely high risk for growing Burkholderia cepacia and it is my understanding from our Pulmonologist that CFer's, more than one, have gotten this from eating at Buffets. It is a bug you definetly do not want, shortens life expectancy and complicates the lung part of the disease quite a bit, very nasty.

pjspiegle

Buffets are dangerous because of all the people touching and handling the food, people sneezing and coughing on it, people touching it without washing hands, etc. Also, because the food is setting out, it is at higher risk of growing stuff, especially if it isn't kept at the proper temperatures. Buffets are like hottubs in that they potentially grow thousands of bacterias. Not sure why, but they are at extremely high risk for growing Burkholderia cepacia and it is my understanding from our Pulmonologist that CFer's, more than one, have gotten this from eating at Buffets. It is a bug you definetly do not want, shortens life expectancy and complicates the lung part of the disease quite a bit, very nasty.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Because pseudomonas can live in tap water and even distilled water, it's important that nebulizers be sterilzed. The neb cups we use can be boiled, so I boil them for 10 minutes after every use. I have boiled (melted) some neb cups that weren't supposed to be boiled.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Because pseudomonas can live in tap water and even distilled water, it's important that nebulizers be sterilzed. The neb cups we use can be boiled, so I boil them for 10 minutes after every use. I have boiled (melted) some neb cups that weren't supposed to be boiled.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

cdale613

Let me start by saying I'm not a CF parent, I'm a CFer, and I'd much rather be a CFer than a CF parent.

Hot Tubs are gross, but if you're worried about pools and lakes, never let your kid take a shower again. That warm water vapor in your bathroom, inhaled by your kid.. is it sterile? No. You think your house pipes are clean? No, they are probably not.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but you have to accept that it is impossible to isolate your child with CF from exposure to a bug like psuedomonas that grows anywhere and everywhere, no matter how much you clean your kitchen. Your child will live a happier fuller life, and you can focus on things within your control, like what food they eat, the quality of their chest PT, and keeping the docs on their toes.

I noticed the other post about "rebellion" in kids concerning their meds. You prevent non-compliance by fostering and promoting healthy activities, and make sure that your kids grow up understanding the important connection between taking their medications and the ability to do the activities they love to do, and as they get older, the goals they want to achieve.

Telling an otherwise healthy child or teen with CF (moderate to mild lung involvment) that they "can't" do something because they have CF is the #1 way to promote "rebellion" down the road, ESPECIALLY if its a "normal" healthy kid activity like swimming, playing outside, etc. You have to be able to let go and encourage them to push their own boundaries and find out for themselves what they can and can't do.

For example, you should be worried about if they are dressed well enough to go play outside in the snow, not wondering if they should be playing out in the snow or not.

Look into your kid's future - what do you want for them? They won't be kids for ever, and if you want them to do things like go away to college, have a career, and hopefully a family of their own, you have start telling them YES YOU CAN now, and make them believe it. CF should not be the reason your otherwise healthy kid isn't doing things "normal" kids are doing. Obviously, things are different if your child has severe complications from CF.

Sorry if its out of place, but that's what I've learned, and no one told me...

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Let me start by saying I'm not a CF parent, I'm a CFer, and I'd much rather be a CFer than a CF parent.

Hot Tubs are gross, but if you're worried about pools and lakes, never let your kid take a shower again. That warm water vapor in your bathroom, inhaled by your kid.. is it sterile? No. You think your house pipes are clean? No, they are probably not.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but you have to accept that it is impossible to isolate your child with CF from exposure to a bug like psuedomonas that grows anywhere and everywhere, no matter how much you clean your kitchen. Your child will live a happier fuller life, and you can focus on things within your control, like what food they eat, the quality of their chest PT, and keeping the docs on their toes.

I noticed the other post about "rebellion" in kids concerning their meds. You prevent non-compliance by fostering and promoting healthy activities, and make sure that your kids grow up understanding the important connection between taking their medications and the ability to do the activities they love to do, and as they get older, the goals they want to achieve.

Telling an otherwise healthy child or teen with CF (moderate to mild lung involvment) that they "can't" do something because they have CF is the #1 way to promote "rebellion" down the road, ESPECIALLY if its a "normal" healthy kid activity like swimming, playing outside, etc. You have to be able to let go and encourage them to push their own boundaries and find out for themselves what they can and can't do.

For example, you should be worried about if they are dressed well enough to go play outside in the snow, not wondering if they should be playing out in the snow or not.

Look into your kid's future - what do you want for them? They won't be kids for ever, and if you want them to do things like go away to college, have a career, and hopefully a family of their own, you have start telling them YES YOU CAN now, and make them believe it. CF should not be the reason your otherwise healthy kid isn't doing things "normal" kids are doing. Obviously, things are different if your child has severe complications from CF.

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/CF

cloudwinds

I would say add a trampoline to regimen for best results in cf care.....Get them on hypertonic saline asap because it does make a difference..get informed about the ib therapy because that has to be a educated decision when made....

cloudwinds

I would say add a trampoline to regimen for best results in cf care.....Get them on hypertonic saline asap because it does make a difference..get informed about the ib therapy because that has to be a educated decision when made....

cloudwinds

cloudwinds

cloudwinds