What is Double DF508?

Emily65Roses

Okay, let's make this short and simple.

Delta F508 is NOT the worst one to get. It's a Class II. The worst genes to get, generally speaking, are Class I. Because a double DF508 is two Class II, you could be worse if you had:
ANY Class II and ANY Class I
or
Two Class I.

Gene therapy is still a ways away. As in.. the whole gene replacement. Yes, they're working on it. Is it right around the corner for purchase at your local pharmacy? No effing way.

PTC124 fixes NONSENSE mutations specifically. The only CF mutations that are nonsense are Class I. I don't care if this doesn't make sense to anyone, it's true. If you don't understand the microbiology that is involved, look it up. Don't spread misinformation by saying this PTC124 will cure any CF at all, period. It is untrue.

If you wish to read about this PTC124 in more specific detail, I suggest this link:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ptcbio.com/big/discovery1flash.html
">http://www.ptcbio.com/big/discovery1flash.html
</a>It explains why it ONLY targets the small population of CFers, and not any gene at all. It may only effect 10-15% of CFers, but generally speaking, it's the WORST Class, so yes, they're going to try and go for that one first. Class II may be more common here in the US, but it's not necessarily the most common everywhere (one of Israel's most common is w1282x, a Class I), and it's not *as a whole* deadlier than Class I. Common sense says go for the worst mutations first.

In addition, this drug is being developed BY Israel. Because Israel's most common is the w1282x (a Class I), it makes the most sense for them to target that population of CFers. It'd be like if the US started developing a drug... we'd target the Delta F508, right? Same idea. Our Delta F508 is Israel's w1282x.

Some of this stuff can be a little difficult to understand, but try to read the literature before you spout off a bunch of untrue "information" that is going to confuse not only everyone else, but also yourself.

Emily65Roses

Okay, let's make this short and simple.

Delta F508 is NOT the worst one to get. It's a Class II. The worst genes to get, generally speaking, are Class I. Because a double DF508 is two Class II, you could be worse if you had:
ANY Class II and ANY Class I
or
Two Class I.

Gene therapy is still a ways away. As in.. the whole gene replacement. Yes, they're working on it. Is it right around the corner for purchase at your local pharmacy? No effing way.

PTC124 fixes NONSENSE mutations specifically. The only CF mutations that are nonsense are Class I. I don't care if this doesn't make sense to anyone, it's true. If you don't understand the microbiology that is involved, look it up. Don't spread misinformation by saying this PTC124 will cure any CF at all, period. It is untrue.

If you wish to read about this PTC124 in more specific detail, I suggest this link:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ptcbio.com/big/discovery1flash.html
">http://www.ptcbio.com/big/discovery1flash.html
</a>It explains why it ONLY targets the small population of CFers, and not any gene at all. It may only effect 10-15% of CFers, but generally speaking, it's the WORST Class, so yes, they're going to try and go for that one first. Class II may be more common here in the US, but it's not necessarily the most common everywhere (one of Israel's most common is w1282x, a Class I), and it's not *as a whole* deadlier than Class I. Common sense says go for the worst mutations first.

In addition, this drug is being developed BY Israel. Because Israel's most common is the w1282x (a Class I), it makes the most sense for them to target that population of CFers. It'd be like if the US started developing a drug... we'd target the Delta F508, right? Same idea. Our Delta F508 is Israel's w1282x.

Some of this stuff can be a little difficult to understand, but try to read the literature before you spout off a bunch of untrue "information" that is going to confuse not only everyone else, but also yourself.

M

Mommafirst

Emily, I followed you 100% and it was exactly what I was gonna say.

So now I don't have to...

I do believe from what I've read that w1282x still only accounts for less than .6% of the CF population, worldwide.

My daughter has one w1282x and the other is a very rare mutation, y1032c, that is supposed to be very mild -- only associated with CBAVD. But my daughter was born with meconium illeus. Seems like the class one w1282x is controlling at least that much of her disease -- or maybe a modifier gene, who knows. Its been said before, every patient is different.

M

Mommafirst

I do believe from what I've read that w1282x still only accounts for less than .6% of the CF population, worldwide.

My daughter has one w1282x and the other is a very rare mutation, y1032c, that is supposed to be very mild -- only associated with CBAVD. But my daughter was born with meconium illeus. Seems like the class one w1282x is controlling at least that much of her disease -- or maybe a modifier gene, who knows. Its been said before, every patient is different.

M

Mommafirst