What is your most effective IV cocktail or fav drugs?

LouLou

My doctor is working on a plan for what drugs he suggests I go on. I was wondering what drugs you go on for these two bugs.

I might have to make some adjustments to his plans due to breastfeedlng so I'm looking at options from you. If his plan seems to be the best plan my son will go on reserved pumped milk (and I'll pump 'n dump until after last dose to keep my milk coming in). I'd rather save this pumped milk for when I'm vacationing or needing to quit bf'ing for some reason. After all breastmilk is thought to help cfers staave off symptomatic status (I'm still looking for the journal article on this if anyone has it).

I'm suspecting this will be my doctors suggested cocktail -
Tobramycin
Imopenum
Vancomycin

So what do you take? Is there another drug that works as well against PA as Tobra?...that's one I'd like to avoid.

LouLou

My doctor is working on a plan for what drugs he suggests I go on. I was wondering what drugs you go on for these two bugs.

I might have to make some adjustments to his plans due to breastfeedlng so I'm looking at options from you. If his plan seems to be the best plan my son will go on reserved pumped milk (and I'll pump 'n dump until after last dose to keep my milk coming in). I'd rather save this pumped milk for when I'm vacationing or needing to quit bf'ing for some reason. After all breastmilk is thought to help cfers staave off symptomatic status (I'm still looking for the journal article on this if anyone has it).

Tobramycin
Imopenum
Vancomycin

So what do you take? Is there another drug that works as well against PA as Tobra?...that's one I'd like to avoid.

LouLou

Tobramycin
Imopenum
Vancomycin

LouLou

Tobramycin
Imopenum
Vancomycin

LouLou

Tobramycin
Imopenum
Vancomycin

cfcndlelady

Lauren,

My usual cocktail is:
Vancomycin
Meropenum
Tobramycin

They seemed to work well. I of course have to do 50 mg Iv Benadryl right before the Vanco due to Redman's Syndrome.

Caren
35 w/Cf

cfcndlelady

Lauren,

My usual cocktail is:
Vancomycin
Meropenum
Tobramycin

They seemed to work well. I of course have to do 50 mg Iv Benadryl right before the Vanco due to Redman's Syndrome.

Caren
35 w/Cf

cfcndlelady

Lauren,

My usual cocktail is:
Vancomycin
Meropenum
Tobramycin

Caren
35 w/Cf

cfcndlelady

Lauren,

My usual cocktail is:
Vancomycin
Meropenum
Tobramycin

Caren
35 w/Cf

cfcndlelady

Lauren,

My usual cocktail is:
Vancomycin
Meropenum
Tobramycin

Caren
35 w/Cf

fondreflections

Lauren,

I have PA and MRSA too for the past 5 years.

The last time I was on IVs I was placed on Vancomycin, Meropenum, and Tobramycin just like Caren suggested. HOWEVER, I was extremely sick to my stomach and started throwing up 8 times a day. That only lasted 4 days, and my IVs were changed to Tobramycin and Cephapine (sp?). That worked GREAT for me. I wasn't sick at all and only required 3 weeks of the combo. I have no idea if that works with breastfeeding though.

The usual treatment is Vancomycin, Meropenum, and Tobramycin. However, I won't use that combo again unless there were NO OTHER OPTIONS!!! My doctors even tried anti-vomiting oral meds to reduce the amount of vomiting. NOTHING WORKED...

Good luck!!!

fondreflections

Lauren,

The last time I was on IVs I was placed on Vancomycin, Meropenum, and Tobramycin just like Caren suggested. HOWEVER, I was extremely sick to my stomach and started throwing up 8 times a day. That only lasted 4 days, and my IVs were changed to Tobramycin and Cephapine (sp?). That worked GREAT for me. I wasn't sick at all and only required 3 weeks of the combo. I have no idea if that works with breastfeeding though.

The usual treatment is Vancomycin, Meropenum, and Tobramycin. However, I won't use that combo again unless there were NO OTHER OPTIONS!!! My doctors even tried anti-vomiting oral meds to reduce the amount of vomiting. NOTHING WORKED...

Good luck!!!

fondreflections

Lauren,

Good luck!!!

fondreflections

Lauren,

Good luck!!!

fondreflections

Lauren,

Good luck!!!

jfarel

You guys do 3 abx at one time? I usually do two. Tobramycin, I alwasy take. And they usually give me Meropenem or Zosyn with the Tobra. Meropenem lately has treated me better than the Zosyn.

Ooops, didn't read carefully. I don't have MRSA, just PA.

jfarel

You guys do 3 abx at one time? I usually do two. Tobramycin, I alwasy take. And they usually give me Meropenem or Zosyn with the Tobra. Meropenem lately has treated me better than the Zosyn.

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel