What size needle do you use for your port?

lightNlife

When I'm just flushing the line (monthly) and checking for blood return, I use a 1-inch 22 gauge needle.

When I'm on IVs I use a 3/4 in. 22 gauge needle. However, there is one caveat. I <b>NEVER</b> use it for blood work anymore for 3 main reasons

1. My port is now 10 years old and the material it's made of has always caused inaccurate readings in my bloodwork. (Tobra peak and trough levels were highly skewed EVERY time)

2. Because it's old, it has developed a lot of filamentous tissue on the end of it. The nurses tend to draw back on it too heavily with the plunger syringe and that sucks that filament into the line making it seem blocked, even though it's not. Another thing that can happen if they draw too heavily is that the tubing pulls down on itself from the vacuum. It's like when you suck really hard on a straw in a thick milkshake and the straw collapses.

3. I've had nurses who have been taught in the last few years that heparin is no longer necessary to use before closing off the line. I've been in the ER twice to have "clot buster" added to my line because it got blocked by some blockhead nurse who refused to add heparin even when I insisted upon it. Because heparin is usually under lock and key with other prescriptions, some nurses can't be "bothered" to go back and go through the necessary procedure to procure 3 ccs of heparin and would rather just use saline.

I don't mind getting needle poked in my arm for labwork. My veins can usually handle that. It's when they're exposed to all those heavy duty drugs ongoing that they blow or infiltrate, which is why I use the port.

Ask your nurses who draw bloodwork to just be patient and not force it. If you've got good blood return, you're golden, even if it takes awhile to get enough return for a decent sample. Patience, patience patience. Treat it nicely and you'll be VERY glad in the long run. I sure am!

Oh, and as far as the tenderness goes, I have a stuffed animal (Dorothy) that I tuck next to me when my port is accessed to keep from rolling so far over that put pressure on the site.

Good luck!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
When Josh first got his port, we were horrified by the size of the needle and how much was sticking out after being accessed. Our nurses told us it is not supposed to be flush against the skin (although no one came up with a good reason why not).

He started with a 3/4 inch. The plastic part behind the needle was HUGE and boxy due to the fact that it is retractable for safety reasons. When we got home our home care nurse tried to use a 1/2 inch because she thought the 3/4 was too big too. She couldn't get it in enough to draw blood so we went back to the 3/4.

She <i>was</i> able to get us a smaller and flatter 3/4 needle though. The homecare policy use the retractable needles so they were sending the old ones back. She scooped up a whole bag full for us to stash away. We use the fat awkward ones to access once a month and we're saving the flat ones for when Josh goes back on IVs.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
When Josh first got his port, we were horrified by the size of the needle and how much was sticking out after being accessed. Our nurses told us it is not supposed to be flush against the skin (although no one came up with a good reason why not).

He started with a 3/4 inch. The plastic part behind the needle was HUGE and boxy due to the fact that it is retractable for safety reasons. When we got home our home care nurse tried to use a 1/2 inch because she thought the 3/4 was too big too. She couldn't get it in enough to draw blood so we went back to the 3/4.

She <i>was</i> able to get us a smaller and flatter 3/4 needle though. The homecare policy use the retractable needles so they were sending the old ones back. She scooped up a whole bag full for us to stash away. We use the fat awkward ones to access once a month and we're saving the flat ones for when Josh goes back on IVs.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Emily65Roses

Jane, I'm the same way! They have those stupid big fat ones with an extra chunk of plastic. I understand the reasoning, because it makes for a better grip... but if you have this sh*t taped to you for days at a time, you want the least amount of crap on it possible. I used the big annoying ones for my monthly flushes too, and save the flat ones for IVs. Unfortunately, I'm almost out of the flat ones, and after 1 or 2 more rounds of IVs, I'll be stuck with the big ones, because they "don't use the flat ones anymore." You figure they'd try to make them at least restrictive as possible, but noooo... that makes too much sense.

Irrelevant... but as it is, I cut the little white clamp things off when I'm doing IVs. If it has the blue thing on the end (I just looked at my equipment, and it's called a clave), it's safe from leaking, and I don't want extra crap taped to me! If I could remove the big black plastic chunk from the needles without destroying them, I would.

Oh and for how the needle sits... it never sits *directly* on my skin, but it gets d*mn close. There's no reason Josh should have a chunk of needle jutting out of his skin. I once had idiot nurses access my port with an inch needle (this was before I learned about the needle sizes, and my port was fairly new), and I had to sleep that night with 1/4 inch of needle sticking out of my chest. Incredibly uncomfortable. A nice Irish nice came in next morning, looked at it, and said "Oh you poor thing." Hahaha. She took it out, reaccessed me with the proper size, and it felt worlds better. Again, irrelevant, but I figured I'd share the story. Haha.

Emily65Roses

Jane, I'm the same way! They have those stupid big fat ones with an extra chunk of plastic. I understand the reasoning, because it makes for a better grip... but if you have this sh*t taped to you for days at a time, you want the least amount of crap on it possible. I used the big annoying ones for my monthly flushes too, and save the flat ones for IVs. Unfortunately, I'm almost out of the flat ones, and after 1 or 2 more rounds of IVs, I'll be stuck with the big ones, because they "don't use the flat ones anymore." You figure they'd try to make them at least restrictive as possible, but noooo... that makes too much sense.

Irrelevant... but as it is, I cut the little white clamp things off when I'm doing IVs. If it has the blue thing on the end (I just looked at my equipment, and it's called a clave), it's safe from leaking, and I don't want extra crap taped to me! If I could remove the big black plastic chunk from the needles without destroying them, I would.

Oh and for how the needle sits... it never sits *directly* on my skin, but it gets d*mn close. There's no reason Josh should have a chunk of needle jutting out of his skin. I once had idiot nurses access my port with an inch needle (this was before I learned about the needle sizes, and my port was fairly new), and I had to sleep that night with 1/4 inch of needle sticking out of my chest. Incredibly uncomfortable. A nice Irish nice came in next morning, looked at it, and said "Oh you poor thing." Hahaha. She took it out, reaccessed me with the proper size, and it felt worlds better. Again, irrelevant, but I figured I'd share the story. Haha.

Emily65Roses

princesskc2

3/4 in., my port is in my right subclavian. So my experience is to allow only a little blood draw to be used, through my port. I just wanted to let you know I had my port for 20 years and just recently, almost a year ago had to get a new one. All the Docs and people I talk to have been shocked.

Good luck!

princesskc2

3/4 in., my port is in my right subclavian. So my experience is to allow only a little blood draw to be used, through my port. I just wanted to let you know I had my port for 20 years and just recently, almost a year ago had to get a new one. All the Docs and people I talk to have been shocked.

Good luck!

princesskc2

Good luck!

I use a 22 gauge as well. I have had my port for 2 years and haven't had any problems yet. However, my doctor is adamant about not letting anyone draw blood from the port. He says that using it for blood draws can cause too many problems with the ports.

I hope you are feeling better.

Julie, 39, w/cf

I use a 22 gauge as well. I have had my port for 2 years and haven't had any problems yet. However, my doctor is adamant about not letting anyone draw blood from the port. He says that using it for blood draws can cause too many problems with the ports.

Julie, 39, w/cf

Julie, 39, w/cf

blindhearted

20 gauge, 3/4 inch in length. I did use a 22 guage w/ my old port but had to use a larger one when it started to get obstructed (actually got up to a 19 gauge). It extened the life of my port for a few more months. I have no clue why, but the medicine seems to go in more smoothly. I guess because of the larger tube and opening at the end of the needle. Anyways, it worked. So when I got my new port, I just stuck with the 20 gauge.

Note: I also do not use my port to draw blood. I was told it will shorten the life of a port. Plus my line in my body is longer than most. And I did it one time with Tobramycin and the levels came back deadly high...even though it was fine the last time they drew it and the Peak level before hand was fine (they got that from my vein). They tried it again the next dose. Both levels came back normal the next round, even though the dosage was never changed.

blindhearted

20 gauge, 3/4 inch in length. I did use a 22 guage w/ my old port but had to use a larger one when it started to get obstructed (actually got up to a 19 gauge). It extened the life of my port for a few more months. I have no clue why, but the medicine seems to go in more smoothly. I guess because of the larger tube and opening at the end of the needle. Anyways, it worked. So when I got my new port, I just stuck with the 20 gauge.

Note: I also do not use my port to draw blood. I was told it will shorten the life of a port. Plus my line in my body is longer than most. And I did it one time with Tobramycin and the levels came back deadly high...even though it was fine the last time they drew it and the Peak level before hand was fine (they got that from my vein). They tried it again the next dose. Both levels came back normal the next round, even though the dosage was never changed.

blindhearted

coltsfan715

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I find it interesting that many of you do NOT use the port for blood draws. I thought that was part of the reason to get one. I guess I will just get a 22 gauge when they change it tomorrow and stick with getting regular blood draws for med levels and such.

Thanks for all the input. I started to panic yesterday thinking that here I am with this stinking port - having had it for ONE week only - and it is already giving me a hard time. The nurses were able to put me at ease though with the fact that it was the gauge of the needle and not the port lol.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I find it interesting that many of you do NOT use the port for blood draws. I thought that was part of the reason to get one. I guess I will just get a 22 gauge when they change it tomorrow and stick with getting regular blood draws for med levels and such.

Thanks for all the input. I started to panic yesterday thinking that here I am with this stinking port - having had it for ONE week only - and it is already giving me a hard time. The nurses were able to put me at ease though with the fact that it was the gauge of the needle and not the port lol.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

jmazz

i use a 22 gage 3/4 inch needle, i always use my port for blood draws. I had my first port for 11 years and hve had my new one for bout 2yrs now however my port is located on my left lower rib. I dont have much trouble with mine except that the port moves during access due to the stiches that holds it in place have broke and disolved