What To Do When They Get A Cold?

HopeyC1972

My almost-2-yr-old son was recently diagnosed with CF (actually, classified as "Atypical CF" when he visited the CF center for the first time on Wednesday, mainly due to the mutation combination he has)and one thing I should have asked was what do I do if he gets what seems like a normal cold. (Slight fever, tons of coughing, runny nose.)Do I run to the pediatrician (which I have never done with my older kids unless the fever lasts more than a few days), or just treat him like a "regular" kid, continue giving him his nebulizer meds, some Motrin and keep him in for a few days. This is just all so new to me knowing a cold may not be a cold. (And last fall/winter/early spring, when he had an endless cold, average anti-biotics never did him any good anyway.)

HopeyC1972

My almost-2-yr-old son was recently diagnosed with CF (actually, classified as "Atypical CF" when he visited the CF center for the first time on Wednesday, mainly due to the mutation combination he has)and one thing I should have asked was what do I do if he gets what seems like a normal cold. (Slight fever, tons of coughing, runny nose.)Do I run to the pediatrician (which I have never done with my older kids unless the fever lasts more than a few days), or just treat him like a "regular" kid, continue giving him his nebulizer meds, some Motrin and keep him in for a few days. This is just all so new to me knowing a cold may not be a cold. (And last fall/winter/early spring, when he had an endless cold, average anti-biotics never did him any good anyway.)

HopeyC1972

HopeyC1972

HopeyC1972

M

Mommafirst

Hi Hope,

I know that the post-diagnosis stage is so hard.

As far as cold's go you might want to ask your clinic their take on it. Mine wants to know if she has a cough for more than a few days. Usually if the cough is making her miserable I will call after 3 days of a cough.

Do they know if your son cultures anything regularly? For my dd, she cultures Staph allt he time. If she gets a cough for more than a few days, the CF center will call in a 21-day course of an oral abx so that the staph doesn't grow out of control. We've had issues with the staph before, so this is her course of action.

I probably wouldn't call the pedi. Either deal with the CF center or just keep him home and comfy like you would with any other kid. Just don't use any over the counter cough meds or cold meds, it is just too drying for them.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Hope,

As far as cold's go you might want to ask your clinic their take on it. Mine wants to know if she has a cough for more than a few days. Usually if the cough is making her miserable I will call after 3 days of a cough.

Do they know if your son cultures anything regularly? For my dd, she cultures Staph allt he time. If she gets a cough for more than a few days, the CF center will call in a 21-day course of an oral abx so that the staph doesn't grow out of control. We've had issues with the staph before, so this is her course of action.

I probably wouldn't call the pedi. Either deal with the CF center or just keep him home and comfy like you would with any other kid. Just don't use any over the counter cough meds or cold meds, it is just too drying for them.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Hope,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Hope,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Hope,
<br />
<br />I know that the post-diagnosis stage is so hard.
<br />
<br />As far as cold's go you might want to ask your clinic their take on it. Mine wants to know if she has a cough for more than a few days. Usually if the cough is making her miserable I will call after 3 days of a cough.
<br />
<br />Do they know if your son cultures anything regularly? For my dd, she cultures Staph allt he time. If she gets a cough for more than a few days, the CF center will call in a 21-day course of an oral abx so that the staph doesn't grow out of control. We've had issues with the staph before, so this is her course of action.
<br />
<br />I probably wouldn't call the pedi. Either deal with the CF center or just keep him home and comfy like you would with any other kid. Just don't use any over the counter cough meds or cold meds, it is just too drying for them.

Littlemiss

Hi Hope,

It must be difficult coming from a place where you are not used to using antibiotics alot, knowing when they are needed etc.

I don't have kids (yet!) but speaking as a person with cf I would say I agree with Heather. If he has a cough for more than three days take him to the cf Dr. especially if he is bringing up gunck. Whatever it is that's causing the cough you want to get rid of it before it can get a foothold. I guess it will be a bit of an adjustment your thinking about your kiddie w cf compared to your other kids.

I have a brother w cf who was born when I was 14 and I'm pretty sure mum used to take him asap if she could (going from experience of raising me and my older brother w cf).

For the record I am very healthy for a person with cf, but I can still get pretty unwell when I get a cold so I like to address it without delay.

Hope that helps

AJ :)

Littlemiss

Hi Hope,

It must be difficult coming from a place where you are not used to using antibiotics alot, knowing when they are needed etc.

I don't have kids (yet!) but speaking as a person with cf I would say I agree with Heather. If he has a cough for more than three days take him to the cf Dr. especially if he is bringing up gunck. Whatever it is that's causing the cough you want to get rid of it before it can get a foothold. I guess it will be a bit of an adjustment your thinking about your kiddie w cf compared to your other kids.

I have a brother w cf who was born when I was 14 and I'm pretty sure mum used to take him asap if she could (going from experience of raising me and my older brother w cf).

For the record I am very healthy for a person with cf, but I can still get pretty unwell when I get a cold so I like to address it without delay.

Hope that helps

Littlemiss

Hi Hope,

Hope that helps

Littlemiss

Hi Hope,

Hope that helps

Littlemiss

Hi Hope,
<br />
<br />It must be difficult coming from a place where you are not used to using antibiotics alot, knowing when they are needed etc.
<br />
<br />I don't have kids (yet!) but speaking as a person with cf I would say I agree with Heather. If he has a cough for more than three days take him to the cf Dr. especially if he is bringing up gunck. Whatever it is that's causing the cough you want to get rid of it before it can get a foothold. I guess it will be a bit of an adjustment your thinking about your kiddie w cf compared to your other kids.
<br />
<br />I have a brother w cf who was born when I was 14 and I'm pretty sure mum used to take him asap if she could (going from experience of raising me and my older brother w cf).
<br />
<br />For the record I am very healthy for a person with cf, but I can still get pretty unwell when I get a cold so I like to address it without delay.
<br />
<br />Hope that helps
<br />
<br />AJ :)

amber682

The rule at our clinic is to increase his nebs and vest/CPT from 2x/day to 3x/day at the start of a cold (or more if you can squeeze it in!)

We also use a lot of saline nasal spray. If the cough hasn't shown some improvement in 5 days, I call the CF center.

Also, we don't use any OTC cold medicines, but will use Tylenol or Motrin if he has a fever and have tried Vicks Vaporub, but it never seems to help.

amber682

The rule at our clinic is to increase his nebs and vest/CPT from 2x/day to 3x/day at the start of a cold (or more if you can squeeze it in!)

We also use a lot of saline nasal spray. If the cough hasn't shown some improvement in 5 days, I call the CF center.

Also, we don't use any OTC cold medicines, but will use Tylenol or Motrin if he has a fever and have tried Vicks Vaporub, but it never seems to help.

amber682

amber682

amber682

<br />
<br />We also use a lot of saline nasal spray. If the cough hasn't shown some improvement in 5 days, I call the CF center.
<br />
<br />Also, we don't use any OTC cold medicines, but will use Tylenol or Motrin if he has a fever and have tried Vicks Vaporub, but it never seems to help.