what to use to soothe irritated airways

amber682

My DD does Tobi 28 days on/28 days off because she cultures PA. She has a large asthma component to her CF, and they say she has a pretty reactive airway. The TOBI irritates her horribly. She coughs a lot during and after Tobi treatments. We do albuterol and pulmicort right before Tobi.
She is currently sick and doing 2 weeks of cipro and 5 days of orapred, and the Tobi seems to be irritating her even more than the norm (maybe because her airways are already irritated?). She coughs non stop during her treatments, to where her face is red and she has tears streaming down her face. I have had to cut treatments short. She will also hack for hours afterwards, a dry, barky, tight cough, very non-productive. She seemed much better today, barey any coughing,but as soon as we did the Tobi this cough started again. She is in bed right now coughing non-stop.
I gave her some nasal spray but am at a loss as to what else I can use to help stop this cough. I really think the TOBI causes bronchospasm and just want to skip it because it is making her cough so much!

amber682

My DD does Tobi 28 days on/28 days off because she cultures PA. She has a large asthma component to her CF, and they say she has a pretty reactive airway. The TOBI irritates her horribly. She coughs a lot during and after Tobi treatments. We do albuterol and pulmicort right before Tobi.
She is currently sick and doing 2 weeks of cipro and 5 days of orapred, and the Tobi seems to be irritating her even more than the norm (maybe because her airways are already irritated?). She coughs non stop during her treatments, to where her face is red and she has tears streaming down her face. I have had to cut treatments short. She will also hack for hours afterwards, a dry, barky, tight cough, very non-productive. She seemed much better today, barey any coughing,but as soon as we did the Tobi this cough started again. She is in bed right now coughing non-stop.
I gave her some nasal spray but am at a loss as to what else I can use to help stop this cough. I really think the TOBI causes bronchospasm and just want to skip it because it is making her cough so much!

Incomudrox

Taking Hypertonic saline when you need tobi is not an alternative or a good idea. You should see if your insurance will cover compounded tobi and an eFlow/Trio nebulizer. I recommend foundation care for this they are really good at getting it worked out with insurance companies. This will cut down the treatment time dramatically (3-5min instead of 15-20 depending on your setup.) If you already did this I'm not sure what to tell you.

Incomudrox

Taking Hypertonic saline when you need tobi is not an alternative or a good idea. You should see if your insurance will cover compounded tobi and an eFlow/Trio nebulizer. I recommend foundation care for this they are really good at getting it worked out with insurance companies. This will cut down the treatment time dramatically (3-5min instead of 15-20 depending on your setup.) If you already did this I'm not sure what to tell you.

amber682

I didn't even know that was an option! Thanks! She jsut stopped coughing about a half an hour ago, so it had her going for a good 2 hours

amber682

I didn't even know that was an option! Thanks! She jsut stopped coughing about a half an hour ago, so it had her going for a good 2 hours

Anomie

What if she took cayston for the PA instead? The treatment times are alot shorter so she may tolerate it easier. The company that makes cayston isn't accepting any new patients right now due to a short supply but if you tell them that you have no other alternative they will try to make an exception for you.

Anomie

What if she took cayston for the PA instead? The treatment times are alot shorter so she may tolerate it easier. The company that makes cayston isn't accepting any new patients right now due to a short supply but if you tell them that you have no other alternative they will try to make an exception for you.

rubyroselee

Tobi can be extremely irritating to the lungs/throat and I had a hard time with it as well. Definitely see if compounded tobramycin via the eFlow is an option (as stated above). I have a lot more tolerance for that than I do with Tobi, plus I think it works a ton better! Good luck!

rubyroselee

Tobi can be extremely irritating to the lungs/throat and I had a hard time with it as well. Definitely see if compounded tobramycin via the eFlow is an option (as stated above). I have a lot more tolerance for that than I do with Tobi, plus I think it works a ton better! Good luck!

imported_Momto2

Tobi irritated my lungs so badly I actually dropped 10% of lung function after a round of it.
Some good suggestions here to try.
Ultimately you may have to decide whether the treatment is worth it, or find an alternative.

imported_Momto2

Tobi irritated my lungs so badly I actually dropped 10% of lung function after a round of it.
Some good suggestions here to try.
Ultimately you may have to decide whether the treatment is worth it, or find an alternative.