whats the real tx story?

annieop86

I have trying to find out as much information about transplants as humanly possible and I have a question... though it may sound harsh. I feel like all I am reading about are these happy stories of people who get transplants, like you just get a new set of lungs and everything is great. I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't really buy it. It seems like everything is being sugar coated. I don't want to sound like a pesamist but there must be more to it or else I wouldn't have so many reservations. It just sounds to easy. What are some of the less favorable outcomes of the transplant even if it is successful, there must be major drawbacks.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I feel like I need to look at this from all angles, not just the good ones.

annieop86

I have trying to find out as much information about transplants as humanly possible and I have a question... though it may sound harsh. I feel like all I am reading about are these happy stories of people who get transplants, like you just get a new set of lungs and everything is great. I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't really buy it. It seems like everything is being sugar coated. I don't want to sound like a pesamist but there must be more to it or else I wouldn't have so many reservations. It just sounds to easy. What are some of the less favorable outcomes of the transplant even if it is successful, there must be major drawbacks.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I feel like I need to look at this from all angles, not just the good ones.

annieop86

annieop86

annieop86

<br />
<br />I don't mean to be a downer, but I feel like I need to look at this from all angles, not just the good ones.

NYCLawGirl

I'm like you - I pretty much ate up any tx story I could for a long time when deciding whether and when to get evaluated. The thing I learned from talking to some very close, long-standing, non-internet friends of mine who have had lung transplants? There is no "real" transplant story. Not by a long shot. Everything from the waiting experience to the first breath off the vent to the 5-year post-surgery outcome varies HUGELY from person to person. Yes, there are some common threads, but after about 6 months of asking every prying question I could think of to anyone pre or post tx that came my way, I suddenly realized that I was going to have to figure some of this out on my own through trial and error - no one can tell you what life with a tx will be like.

The downsides I've heard people mention? Horrible side effects from post-tx drugs, fear of or actual experience of rejection, pain, facing the possibility of retransplant, feeling like they're living on borrowed time, survivior guilt, post-transplant depression (apparetly more common than doctors let on), and having to deal with the same loss of lung function and sudden decline that they originally experienced with CF all over again when one of my friend's new lungs failed. Of the 5 CFers I've known who have had lung tx (not counting the ones on this or other online forums): 1 is going strong with his new lungs 12 years post-tx and is married with a child he has since adopted, 1 is going strong 4 years post-tx and wrote a book, 1 is going strong 2 years post living lobar tx and is 19 so now considering going away to college, 1 experienced chronic rejection after 7 years and was re-transplanted with a single lung, and 1 experienced chronic rejection after 5 years and was re-transplanted with both lungs. All, I am so happy to say, are still alive, although their lives are not without complications.

NYCLawGirl

I'm like you - I pretty much ate up any tx story I could for a long time when deciding whether and when to get evaluated. The thing I learned from talking to some very close, long-standing, non-internet friends of mine who have had lung transplants? There is no "real" transplant story. Not by a long shot. Everything from the waiting experience to the first breath off the vent to the 5-year post-surgery outcome varies HUGELY from person to person. Yes, there are some common threads, but after about 6 months of asking every prying question I could think of to anyone pre or post tx that came my way, I suddenly realized that I was going to have to figure some of this out on my own through trial and error - no one can tell you what life with a tx will be like.

The downsides I've heard people mention? Horrible side effects from post-tx drugs, fear of or actual experience of rejection, pain, facing the possibility of retransplant, feeling like they're living on borrowed time, survivior guilt, post-transplant depression (apparetly more common than doctors let on), and having to deal with the same loss of lung function and sudden decline that they originally experienced with CF all over again when one of my friend's new lungs failed. Of the 5 CFers I've known who have had lung tx (not counting the ones on this or other online forums): 1 is going strong with his new lungs 12 years post-tx and is married with a child he has since adopted, 1 is going strong 4 years post-tx and wrote a book, 1 is going strong 2 years post living lobar tx and is 19 so now considering going away to college, 1 experienced chronic rejection after 7 years and was re-transplanted with a single lung, and 1 experienced chronic rejection after 5 years and was re-transplanted with both lungs. All, I am so happy to say, are still alive, although their lives are not without complications.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />The downsides I've heard people mention? Horrible side effects from post-tx drugs, fear of or actual experience of rejection, pain, facing the possibility of retransplant, feeling like they're living on borrowed time, survivior guilt, post-transplant depression (apparetly more common than doctors let on), and having to deal with the same loss of lung function and sudden decline that they originally experienced with CF all over again when one of my friend's new lungs failed. Of the 5 CFers I've known who have had lung tx (not counting the ones on this or other online forums): 1 is going strong with his new lungs 12 years post-tx and is married with a child he has since adopted, 1 is going strong 4 years post-tx and wrote a book, 1 is going strong 2 years post living lobar tx and is 19 so now considering going away to college, 1 experienced chronic rejection after 7 years and was re-transplanted with a single lung, and 1 experienced chronic rejection after 5 years and was re-transplanted with both lungs. All, I am so happy to say, are still alive, although their lives are not without complications.

JazzysMom

Sadly ONLY the positive side of tx is what people often want to hear. If you search this site....among the others that you have been given already in previous threads....you will find some horror stories. There is such a wide range of how people bounce back that it really makes it difficult to decide for yourself.

All you can really do is to get an idea of as many "what ifs" that exist as possible & hope for the best.

JazzysMom

Sadly ONLY the positive side of tx is what people often want to hear. If you search this site....among the others that you have been given already in previous threads....you will find some horror stories. There is such a wide range of how people bounce back that it really makes it difficult to decide for yourself.

All you can really do is to get an idea of as many "what ifs" that exist as possible & hope for the best.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />All you can really do is to get an idea of as many "what ifs" that exist as possible & hope for the best.

Skye

Piper.....thanks for sharing.....that was helpful. I have done a lot of research on this and I have not had too difficult of a time finding the not-so-great stories out there....though they are difficult to read....I want to be informed. I know 2 people personally who have been transplanted. 1 is doing very well and is approaching her 3 year mark and the other one is listed for a second tx after about 5 years.

I will say that I do believe that EDUCATION is key and knowing your body going into transplant and coming out. I have NOT had a tx....so that is just my 2 cents. I think CFers are really pretty good at this from a lifetime of care; but, I think it is even more important post-tx. One of the social workers at my tx center said that one of the CF lung tx patients said the big difference for him post tx between CF and tx was the amount of time you can wait to be treated. For example, some of us may plan for an upcoming tune-up or plan a tune-up around a vacation or maybe wait to see how we feel in a few days. He said that post tx any little change needs to be immediately addressed....like a minor drop in FEV1. You may have to drop everything and go to your center to address the issue. Anyway, that was the big difference for him.

I also think that exercise pre and post are key. Like Jerry Cahill says......he has his "full metal jacket" on. He is a HUGE proponent of exercise in order to build up endurance and be as healthy as you can be going in and coming out.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for posting this question. I think it is important.

Skye

Piper.....thanks for sharing.....that was helpful. I have done a lot of research on this and I have not had too difficult of a time finding the not-so-great stories out there....though they are difficult to read....I want to be informed. I know 2 people personally who have been transplanted. 1 is doing very well and is approaching her 3 year mark and the other one is listed for a second tx after about 5 years.

I will say that I do believe that EDUCATION is key and knowing your body going into transplant and coming out. I have NOT had a tx....so that is just my 2 cents. I think CFers are really pretty good at this from a lifetime of care; but, I think it is even more important post-tx. One of the social workers at my tx center said that one of the CF lung tx patients said the big difference for him post tx between CF and tx was the amount of time you can wait to be treated. For example, some of us may plan for an upcoming tune-up or plan a tune-up around a vacation or maybe wait to see how we feel in a few days. He said that post tx any little change needs to be immediately addressed....like a minor drop in FEV1. You may have to drop everything and go to your center to address the issue. Anyway, that was the big difference for him.

I also think that exercise pre and post are key. Like Jerry Cahill says......he has his "full metal jacket" on. He is a HUGE proponent of exercise in order to build up endurance and be as healthy as you can be going in and coming out.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for posting this question. I think it is important.

Skye

Skye

Skye

<br />
<br />I will say that I do believe that EDUCATION is key and knowing your body going into transplant and coming out. I have NOT had a tx....so that is just my 2 cents. I think CFers are really pretty good at this from a lifetime of care; but, I think it is even more important post-tx. One of the social workers at my tx center said that one of the CF lung tx patients said the big difference for him post tx between CF and tx was the amount of time you can wait to be treated. For example, some of us may plan for an upcoming tune-up or plan a tune-up around a vacation or maybe wait to see how we feel in a few days. He said that post tx any little change needs to be immediately addressed....like a minor drop in FEV1. You may have to drop everything and go to your center to address the issue. Anyway, that was the big difference for him.
<br />
<br />I also think that exercise pre and post are key. Like Jerry Cahill says......he has his "full metal jacket" on. He is a HUGE proponent of exercise in order to build up endurance and be as healthy as you can be going in and coming out.
<br />
<br />Hope this makes sense and thanks for posting this question. I think it is important.