when did the anons come back?

EnergyGal

I like the<b> non anon</b> function too. I think the admin folks decided to put it on back last night or this morning. Not sure At least we know if anyone starts trouble they will be banned.

julie

Darn it, I hadn't noticed it but I agree with you Emilee and Risa. I liked the function. Browsing as anon but then posting as a registered user.

chipper28

I can see the value of the anonymous in some of the old posts just
because there are some things that people are just not societally
comfortable with discussing.  I'm not saying this is a good
thing, just that it is true.<br>
<br>
Unfortunately, I think the best solution to this would require some
changes to the actual code which runs the forums, but it wouldn't
be a large one.  I think the best option would be to require
people to log in to post, but to allow them to select to post with
their name or anonymous.  This would be like in gmail or
outlook where you can chose which email to send a message from.
 This way people would have to make a conscious decision to
post as anonymous.  I think this would help prevent the
rude/mean/spam factor from posting as anonymous, but would still
allow people to use it when it could benefit them.  <br>
<br>
This method wouldn't show any more information about a person
making an anonymous post, but it would help stop both accidental
anonymous posts and anonymous posts coming from something other
than good intentions.  The users name would not show up, and
they would be providing no more information to the site managers
who already have ip addresses.<br>
<br>
If for some reason this can't be done, I think an interim step
would be to make you chose to be anonymous rather than it being the
default.  While anonymous posts were banned, if you click post
or reply, a log-in screen popped up.  Simply by adding a
button beneath the login which said "post as anonymous",
people would have to chose to post as anonymous.  It seems
that a large part of the anonymous posts are just accidents, so
this would stop that.  It also would be enough of a middle
step to prevent spam type posts, but it wouldn't serve to help
prevent what I'll call "mean-spirited" anonymous
posts.<br>
<br>
Just some ideas!<br>

Imogene

Administrator
Chipper I'll have to show this to Bill...
for now

The great thing about these forums is that we can turn the anonymous postings on or off.

The advantage of the anonymous postings is we get many people responding to messages who wouldn't if they had to sign in.

Also, we get many more messages.

I think we all know the disadvantages...they have to be closely monitored etc.

The good thing is we can turn them on for now and off if it is more advantageous to our peaceful community.

A word to the wise...
Flexibility!

Jeanne

anonymous

Jeanne,

Thanks for the reply about how the anonymous can be changed. It ranged one thing that I didn't think about. The reason I came up with for anonymous being valuable was people not wanting to have something linked with them. The anonymous provides a great solution, because different people post as anonymous, so you can't build a picture from them like you could if someone just created a second account. However, I didn't think about people posting as anonymous just because they didn't want to go to the effort of creating an account and logging in. I'm not actually sure about how much the ability to do this adds in value to the forums, but this ability could be preserved just be adding the option to the log in screen "to post as anonymous".

I guess I'm wondering what other people think is a use of the "anonymous" function which could add value to the forums. Of course, this response could be never! However, it could be "to discuss health matters that they're not comfortable with", "a way to post if someone has family members that they would worry about reading their thoughts", "to save the effort of creating an account for someone who isn't a frequent reader", "to save the effort of physically logging in for a regular user", or more....

What does everyone think?

Also, while actual statistics would be more useful, can those who have been around for a while notice changes in the posting habits of people who anonymous is or isn't available? I would say this should be not counting the accidental anonymous posts since actions could be taken to prevent anonymous from being the default..

chipper28

I wish I could say I did that on purpose to raise a point about
"accidental" anonymous posts, but sadly it's not
true.<br>
<br>
One other thought as a result of my accidentally posting anonymous.
As soon as the post popped up, I noticed that I had the word
"ranged" in the first line where it should have been
"raised".  Allowing anonymous posting but requiring
that the person be logged in to do it could allow people to make
edits to their anonymous posts thus clearing up things like my use
of the wrong word.  If this was done at the same time as the
requirement that people be logged in to post anonymously, I think
this ability to edit could be enabled without additional demands on
whoever (Bill?) does the coding on here...

JazzysMom

I must have missed something. I do know that there is someone that logs on as "annonymous". They are listed as that under logged in users, but I havent seen any regular "annonymous". I might be missing it tho!

Allie

I am pro-anon function. I think it offers some annoyances, yes, but I think it offers a lot of good points, because some people aren't comfortable sharing their feelings for fear of flaming, and embarrasing health questions can be easily asked.

julie

I too can see the value in it being available for someone to ask that embarassing question or post something they need answers to but don't want it linked to them.... but at the same time, with the problems recently and how heated the boards use to get with the anons. Not just interesting, but downright nasty. I suppose if all goes smoothly though, the purpose of turing it back on will be fulfilled.

And many anons. have a LOT of important things to say and they are as much of contributing memebers to this board as those who log in. But unfortunately there are some who ruin it for everyone by running rampant with their postings and being inapprorpiate. I hope it stays nice and smooth, that way we can have the best of both worlds!

anonymous

I wonder if you guys are referring to the anon question about the bronchoscopy???? I noticed that no one has responded to this mother's question. It really is sad that unless you are part of the group that everyone knows your questions are unimportant. I have posted, introduced myself and asked a couple of questions with very little response. I was very excited to find this forum, but unfortunately, the members here do not offer "support" for those of us who do not participate in the drama. What a shame! I'm sure the sponsors love signing on and reading the immaturish behavior that goes on here. We all deal with CF in one way or another or we wouldn't be here. As for me, I would love to come here to find answers to my questions about care, treatments, CF centers, etc and in those answers comes support. I hope that someone can help this mom with the questions about her daughter's bronch.

F

fr3ak

I'm WAYYYYY behind the 8 ball I hadn't even noticed that there
hadn't been any anonymous postings LOL......let alone that the
anonymous postings were back....<br>
<br>
<br>

julie

anon at 9:21pm,

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. I hope that when you post questions in the future, you get the responses and answers you need, or at least to guide you in the right direction. Me personally.... I don't respond to posts that I just have no info about. If it's a brand new poster who has a question, I chime in with a welcome but if I can't answer the quesion, I don't. My forte is anything dealing with social security, fighing for medicaid/other insurance coverage, food stamps, tax deductions relating to CF and infertility relating to CF. Anything else, I generally stay out of because I honestly have no clue. I respond to an anon or someone who is signed it equally.

I hopet that mom gets her question answered took but I have no info for her.....

anonymous

I've only ever posted anonymously and have never caused trouble. I do not plan to register in case my significant other ever wants to become part of the community. Some of us just don't want to create an identity here where people know their situation.

julie

See... I've never understood that argument to the anon postings. How does creating a user name associate you with anything? Whether you post using a name or as anonymous, you can choose to create an identity where people know your situation or you can choose to leave personal info out. Just talking out loud here but I think that justification is a crock of poo. No offense.

welshgirl

i agree with julie , where is the harm in having a user name. people will have a general idea of "what i am about" by my thoughts and comments that have been posted on here but nobody knows my full name or exactly where i live , what is the problem ? it will be great if all the nasty s**t doesn't start up again but i won't hold my breath!!!!!!

anonymous

I think the problem with creating an identify (even with a username that doesn't trace to you at all) is that your various posts can be used to paint a picture adn see an overall situation. Posting as anonymous, your anonymous posts are not separated from others in anyway, so you really can't begin to put together a lot of different posts to see a person.

Now, do I think it's likely that many people would ever do this? No, but I do think that people might worry about it. And if a significant other that they did NOT want knowing about their posts came across one post which made them question whether it could be their partner, the s.o. could then do a search based on author and see all their posts.

Not everyone has a position in which they are comfortable expressing everything about their relationship with CF with everyone in their life. I think the access to these forums is even more important for those people, because it gives them somewhere else they can express themselves.

There are other people who might not want to post here under their name. These forums are really easy to find when one is doing just a basic search on cystic fibrosis. I could see someone who had told their employer that they had cf, but had not dwelt on the issues being scared that their employer might come across them. Again, probably not too likely, but still a valid fear.

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>See... I've never understood that argument to the anon postings. How does creating a user name associate you with anything? Whether you post using a name or as anonymous, you can choose to create an identity where people know your situation or you can choose to leave personal info out. Just talking out loud here but I think that justification is a crock of poo. No offense. </end quote></div>

Like another anonymous said, it's the picture that becomes painted. If I made 200 posts on here about this or that and described my situation as well, it'd be easy to piece it all together and all of that information would become identified with that one poster.

anonymous

My two cents: I can not post/reply if I login. I do not know why, maybe our computer is ancient or slow. i can only post or reply as anonymous so i am glad the function is back.

Rebecca(mom to Sammy 8 no CF and Maggie 3 1/2 with CF)