When does your doc admit you??

longhorn4life

I've been sick so badly I couldn't leave my apartment, I've coughed so badly it's made me vomit, I've had abnormal chest x-rays and CT and PET scans, I've cultured MRSA and NTM abscessus... and I still have never been admitted to the hospital. I've gone to the ER a few times, but that was mostly before my CF diagnosis and I was never there longer than 12 hours. So I have no idea what constitutes admission into the hospital.

musclemania70

I always admit myself. I know when its time and there can be many reasons why someone may know this: pft's decline with no response to oral antbx, change in mucous color, more difficulty sleeping, change in cough (rougher, louder more 'chesty'), loss of apetite, increase in tiredness.

those are the symptoms that I look for that indicate its time for me to go in.

I tell the doctor when its time and this way I feel more in control and then I don't go to the doctor's office with the unexpected, "you should be admitted".

I have recently had a longer 'out of the hospital' streak as a result of trying a new drug. This has been great and this also tells me that the cues I use for gauging my health is accurate.

Hope that helps....

musclemania70

I always admit myself. I know when its time and there can be many reasons why someone may know this: pft's decline with no response to oral antbx, change in mucous color, more difficulty sleeping, change in cough (rougher, louder more 'chesty'), loss of apetite, increase in tiredness.

those are the symptoms that I look for that indicate its time for me to go in.

I tell the doctor when its time and this way I feel more in control and then I don't go to the doctor's office with the unexpected, "you should be admitted".

I have recently had a longer 'out of the hospital' streak as a result of trying a new drug. This has been great and this also tells me that the cues I use for gauging my health is accurate.

Hope that helps....

musclemania70

<br />
<br />those are the symptoms that I look for that indicate its time for me to go in.
<br />
<br />I tell the doctor when its time and this way I feel more in control and then I don't go to the doctor's office with the unexpected, "you should be admitted".
<br />
<br />I have recently had a longer 'out of the hospital' streak as a result of trying a new drug. This has been great and this also tells me that the cues I use for gauging my health is accurate.
<br />
<br />Hope that helps....

longhorn4life

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>musclemania70</b></i>

q]

If I admitted myself based on any of those reasons my doctor and family would be telling me I was wasting money and didn't need to be in the hospital. Not to mention I'd be admitting myself every one or two months, and I have a seriously high fev1 so that's saying something. I think it really just depends on the individual.

longhorn4life

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>musclemania70</b></i>

q]

If I admitted myself based on any of those reasons my doctor and family would be telling me I was wasting money and didn't need to be in the hospital. Not to mention I'd be admitting myself every one or two months, and I have a seriously high fev1 so that's saying something. I think it really just depends on the individual.

longhorn4life

<br />
<br />I always admit myself. I know when its time and there can be many reasons why someone may know this: pft's decline with no response to oral antbx, change in mucous color, more difficulty sleeping, change in cough (rougher, louder more 'chesty'), loss of apetite, increase in tiredness.
<br />q]
<br />
<br />If I admitted myself based on any of those reasons my doctor and family would be telling me I was wasting money and didn't need to be in the hospital. Not to mention I'd be admitting myself every one or two months, and I have a seriously high fev1 so that's saying something. I think it really just depends on the individual.

musclemania70

If you have a 'seriously high' fev1, then you are in good shape!

That's a good problem to have my friend!

I always assume that here, NO ONE'S story should be the rule for someone else. Each person is unique and handles their disease differently, as does each doctor which was the question at hand.

Since we may change doctors at certain points in our lives, the one constant is ME. So I have been trying in earnest to keep ME in control and learn to listen to my body because when doctor's change, they may not always know what's best in MY situation.

musclemania70

That's a good problem to have my friend!

I always assume that here, NO ONE'S story should be the rule for someone else. Each person is unique and handles their disease differently, as does each doctor which was the question at hand.

Since we may change doctors at certain points in our lives, the one constant is ME. So I have been trying in earnest to keep ME in control and learn to listen to my body because when doctor's change, they may not always know what's best in MY situation.

musclemania70

<br />
<br />That's a good problem to have my friend!
<br />
<br />I always assume that here, NO ONE'S story should be the rule for someone else. Each person is unique and handles their disease differently, as does each doctor which was the question at hand.
<br />
<br />Since we may change doctors at certain points in our lives, the one constant is ME. So I have been trying in earnest to keep ME in control and learn to listen to my body because when doctor's change, they may not always know what's best in MY situation.

Printer

I hope that those of you who are not being admitter to the hospital by your Doctor are attending a CF Center and not a nearby hospital.

If not get to a CF Center ASAP.

Bill

Printer

I hope that those of you who are not being admitter to the hospital by your Doctor are attending a CF Center and not a nearby hospital.

If not get to a CF Center ASAP.

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />If not get to a CF Center ASAP.
<br />
<br />Bill

longhorn4life

Yeah, I go to a CF center (located in a hospital) every 3 months, but when I'm sick I usually call them and they just fax in an antibiotic prescription to my pharmacy instead of telling me to go to the hospital.

longhorn4life

Yeah, I go to a CF center (located in a hospital) every 3 months, but when I'm sick I usually call them and they just fax in an antibiotic prescription to my pharmacy instead of telling me to go to the hospital.

longhorn4life

nobody

MOST off the dr's I have worked with, admit me when I request it. Nobody knows how you feel better than you do. MOST CF trained Dr's know that. If my PFT's are low (and I am unhappy with it) that is my first clue. If I also have SOB with little exhertion, that is another. You have to decide what you feel is important and let that be your factors. If you are feeling like you need to go in - just ask.

nobody

MOST off the dr's I have worked with, admit me when I request it. Nobody knows how you feel better than you do. MOST CF trained Dr's know that. If my PFT's are low (and I am unhappy with it) that is my first clue. If I also have SOB with little exhertion, that is another. You have to decide what you feel is important and let that be your factors. If you are feeling like you need to go in - just ask.

nobody