Why are some people so ignorant ????

wanderlost

When my son was 10 days old, he developed meningitis, but we didn't know that was what he had at first as it didn't present like normal meningitis, so I had to give my medical history to multitudes of docs, residents and students. The infectious disease team, who ended up taking over my son's care, asked my mother and me multiple times if I was sure I had CF. Finally i spouted off my mutations and they shut up, but it was really annoying. My guess is being at a children's hospital they mainly saw sick children adn I didn't fit into that archetype. Still.

Also, in high school I remember kids saying thingns like "I heard you're going to die soon" or "Don't you have cerebral Palsy?"

It was super annoying.

But Amy is right, people aren't educated about Cf unless they see a blurb on TV or in Good Housekeeping Magazine or something, which we all know gives a lot of generic generalized info.

wanderlost

When my son was 10 days old, he developed meningitis, but we didn't know that was what he had at first as it didn't present like normal meningitis, so I had to give my medical history to multitudes of docs, residents and students. The infectious disease team, who ended up taking over my son's care, asked my mother and me multiple times if I was sure I had CF. Finally i spouted off my mutations and they shut up, but it was really annoying. My guess is being at a children's hospital they mainly saw sick children adn I didn't fit into that archetype. Still.

Also, in high school I remember kids saying thingns like "I heard you're going to die soon" or "Don't you have cerebral Palsy?"

It was super annoying.

But Amy is right, people aren't educated about Cf unless they see a blurb on TV or in Good Housekeeping Magazine or something, which we all know gives a lot of generic generalized info.

Finnsmommy

I get this kind of thing all the time--"but he doesn't look sick." It's frustrating, obviously! While I can now educate anyone about CF, sometimes it is just so tiring to do so. TO have to tell and retell the story. I just want to focus on Finnegan as my son, not as a diagnosis, and when I have to focus on educating about the CF it just seems to take focus away from him...

Finnsmommy

I get this kind of thing all the time--"but he doesn't look sick." It's frustrating, obviously! While I can now educate anyone about CF, sometimes it is just so tiring to do so. TO have to tell and retell the story. I just want to focus on Finnegan as my son, not as a diagnosis, and when I have to focus on educating about the CF it just seems to take focus away from him...

Finnsmommy

Finnsmommy

Finnsmommy

Finnsmommy

NoExcuses

I see educating others as an oppotunity to fundraise and get people involved.

The more that is fundraised the more that the CFF can research for new meds for CF. When fundraising slows down, drug development slows down.

You never know who you are talking to.... could be a truth fund baby or the head of a corporation.

NoExcuses

The more that is fundraised the more that the CFF can research for new meds for CF. When fundraising slows down, drug development slows down.

You never know who you are talking to.... could be a truth fund baby or the head of a corporation.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Finnsmommy</b></i>

I get this kind of thing all the time--"but he doesn't look sick." It's frustrating, obviously! While I can now educate anyone about CF, sometimes it is just so tiring to do so. TO have to tell and retell the story. I just want to focus on Finnegan as my son, not as a diagnosis, and when I have to focus on educating about the CF it just seems to take focus away from him...</end quote></div>

IT IS TIRESOME, but the alternative is for the ignorance and assumptions to continue.

It wont go away......

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Finnsmommy</b></i>

I get this kind of thing all the time--"but he doesn't look sick." It's frustrating, obviously! While I can now educate anyone about CF, sometimes it is just so tiring to do so. TO have to tell and retell the story. I just want to focus on Finnegan as my son, not as a diagnosis, and when I have to focus on educating about the CF it just seems to take focus away from him...</end quote></div>

IT IS TIRESOME, but the alternative is for the ignorance and assumptions to continue.

It wont go away......

JazzysMom

It wont go away......

JazzysMom

It wont go away......

JazzysMom

I get this kind of thing all the time--"but he doesn't look sick." It's frustrating, obviously! While I can now educate anyone about CF, sometimes it is just so tiring to do so. TO have to tell and retell the story. I just want to focus on Finnegan as my son, not as a diagnosis, and when I have to focus on educating about the CF it just seems to take focus away from him...</end quote>

It wont go away......

JazzysMom

I get this kind of thing all the time--"but he doesn't look sick." It's frustrating, obviously! While I can now educate anyone about CF, sometimes it is just so tiring to do so. TO have to tell and retell the story. I just want to focus on Finnegan as my son, not as a diagnosis, and when I have to focus on educating about the CF it just seems to take focus away from him...</end quote>

It wont go away......