Working moms of CFers

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Cherylwithone</b></i>

I think for every mom it is different. It also depends on the child.</end quote></div>

Totally agree. Some Moms "thrive" on having that outside work environment so it makes it easier/better to handle things at home where others it actually becomes a burden.

A strict routine is important to ease the stress of what needs to be done. I dont work & I am the one with CF, but if my routine is out of sorts that everything else gets messed up & I am stressed about it.

Find what works for YOU because as its been said there will always be different views on this topic whether CF is in the picture or not~~~

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Cherylwithone</b></i>

I think for every mom it is different. It also depends on the child.</end quote></div>

Totally agree. Some Moms "thrive" on having that outside work environment so it makes it easier/better to handle things at home where others it actually becomes a burden.

A strict routine is important to ease the stress of what needs to be done. I dont work & I am the one with CF, but if my routine is out of sorts that everything else gets messed up & I am stressed about it.

Find what works for YOU because as its been said there will always be different views on this topic whether CF is in the picture or not~~~

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

I think for every mom it is different. It also depends on the child.</end quote>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I think for every mom it is different. It also depends on the child.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Totally agree. Some Moms "thrive" on having that outside work environment so it makes it easier/better to handle things at home where others it actually becomes a burden.
<br />
<br />A strict routine is important to ease the stress of what needs to be done. I dont work & I am the one with CF, but if my routine is out of sorts that everything else gets messed up & I am stressed about it.
<br />
<br />Find what works for YOU because as its been said there will always be different views on this topic whether CF is in the picture or not~~~
<br />
<br />

M

Mommafirst

I work full time, but only half of that is out of the home. I'm a college professor, I teach two classes at the university and one online from home. All my research is done from home, but I have to go in for office hours and meeting. Its a pretty good balance.

I think the main issue to whether I could work or not with my CF child comes down to flexibility. My job is incredibly flexible. I schedule my own classes each semester to best fit our life at the moment and I can cancel a class if I need to. When it comes down to it, the hardest part isnt' the day to day stuff -- I can plan the right meals, have a sitter to start dinner, give meds or treatments -- its the unexpected stuff that comes up with CF.

I make sure I never schedule classes on clinic day, so on any given week I can go if need be. I have the ability to teach my online class from a hospital room if need be.

My husband saves two of his three weeks of vacation every year until the very end, that way if we wind up with a hospitalizatioin he can take off.

If you can't find that kind of flexibility (and I am very thankful that I can) than it might be right for you to drop your hours or whatever. It is such a personal decision. I hope you can make the decision and feel peace with it.

M

Mommafirst

I work full time, but only half of that is out of the home. I'm a college professor, I teach two classes at the university and one online from home. All my research is done from home, but I have to go in for office hours and meeting. Its a pretty good balance.

I think the main issue to whether I could work or not with my CF child comes down to flexibility. My job is incredibly flexible. I schedule my own classes each semester to best fit our life at the moment and I can cancel a class if I need to. When it comes down to it, the hardest part isnt' the day to day stuff -- I can plan the right meals, have a sitter to start dinner, give meds or treatments -- its the unexpected stuff that comes up with CF.

I make sure I never schedule classes on clinic day, so on any given week I can go if need be. I have the ability to teach my online class from a hospital room if need be.

My husband saves two of his three weeks of vacation every year until the very end, that way if we wind up with a hospitalizatioin he can take off.

If you can't find that kind of flexibility (and I am very thankful that I can) than it might be right for you to drop your hours or whatever. It is such a personal decision. I hope you can make the decision and feel peace with it.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I think the main issue to whether I could work or not with my CF child comes down to flexibility. My job is incredibly flexible. I schedule my own classes each semester to best fit our life at the moment and I can cancel a class if I need to. When it comes down to it, the hardest part isnt' the day to day stuff -- I can plan the right meals, have a sitter to start dinner, give meds or treatments -- its the unexpected stuff that comes up with CF.
<br />
<br />I make sure I never schedule classes on clinic day, so on any given week I can go if need be. I have the ability to teach my online class from a hospital room if need be.
<br />
<br />My husband saves two of his three weeks of vacation every year until the very end, that way if we wind up with a hospitalizatioin he can take off.
<br />
<br />If you can't find that kind of flexibility (and I am very thankful that I can) than it might be right for you to drop your hours or whatever. It is such a personal decision. I hope you can make the decision and feel peace with it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DH and I both work. We do 3 cpt/vest treatments a day -- I get up at 5:45 a.m. and do CPT and nebs while DS sleeps. Then I go take a shower and if it's a tobi month, DS and DH sleep in our bed during that time.

I live close to my job, so at noon I boil nebs, sometimes throw something in the slow cooker, pay bills, do laundry. After work, I pick up DS and give him a snack and start his vest and nebs. If DH doesn't have a meeting, I'll usually start preparing supper, organize pills, etc. Some days DS has gymnastics so I have to get him started and I feel like I'm running. On those days, DS gets fast food for supper (his choice) afterwards.

After supper we go for a walk or I throw DS in the tub, afterwards he'll play legos, computer games, we'll read books. Then we'll start up his vest and nebs before bed, get him another snack. And DH and I will watch tv for a little while.

His preschool/daycare is good about handwashing, sanitizing toys, alerting parents to any illnesses that other children may have. They have lots of outdoor activities to keep the kids active. They have worked with DS to make sure he gets enough to eat, extra calories and salt. Not sure how things will go next year at regular school -- they get 20 minutes to eat lunch and he tends to dawdle and visit. I'm assuming we'll be trying to get extra snacks down him.

Things that do go by the wayside is my weight. I wish I could schedule more time to exercise, plan more meals, but sometimes DH has evening meetings and once in awhile I do as well.

Both of us have worked long enough at our jobs, that we have adequate comp and vacation time saved up for appointments.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DH and I both work. We do 3 cpt/vest treatments a day -- I get up at 5:45 a.m. and do CPT and nebs while DS sleeps. Then I go take a shower and if it's a tobi month, DS and DH sleep in our bed during that time.

I live close to my job, so at noon I boil nebs, sometimes throw something in the slow cooker, pay bills, do laundry. After work, I pick up DS and give him a snack and start his vest and nebs. If DH doesn't have a meeting, I'll usually start preparing supper, organize pills, etc. Some days DS has gymnastics so I have to get him started and I feel like I'm running. On those days, DS gets fast food for supper (his choice) afterwards.

After supper we go for a walk or I throw DS in the tub, afterwards he'll play legos, computer games, we'll read books. Then we'll start up his vest and nebs before bed, get him another snack. And DH and I will watch tv for a little while.

His preschool/daycare is good about handwashing, sanitizing toys, alerting parents to any illnesses that other children may have. They have lots of outdoor activities to keep the kids active. They have worked with DS to make sure he gets enough to eat, extra calories and salt. Not sure how things will go next year at regular school -- they get 20 minutes to eat lunch and he tends to dawdle and visit. I'm assuming we'll be trying to get extra snacks down him.

Things that do go by the wayside is my weight. I wish I could schedule more time to exercise, plan more meals, but sometimes DH has evening meetings and once in awhile I do as well.

Both of us have worked long enough at our jobs, that we have adequate comp and vacation time saved up for appointments.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I live close to my job, so at noon I boil nebs, sometimes throw something in the slow cooker, pay bills, do laundry. After work, I pick up DS and give him a snack and start his vest and nebs. If DH doesn't have a meeting, I'll usually start preparing supper, organize pills, etc. Some days DS has gymnastics so I have to get him started and I feel like I'm running. On those days, DS gets fast food for supper (his choice) afterwards.
<br />
<br />After supper we go for a walk or I throw DS in the tub, afterwards he'll play legos, computer games, we'll read books. Then we'll start up his vest and nebs before bed, get him another snack. And DH and I will watch tv for a little while.
<br />
<br />His preschool/daycare is good about handwashing, sanitizing toys, alerting parents to any illnesses that other children may have. They have lots of outdoor activities to keep the kids active. They have worked with DS to make sure he gets enough to eat, extra calories and salt. Not sure how things will go next year at regular school -- they get 20 minutes to eat lunch and he tends to dawdle and visit. I'm assuming we'll be trying to get extra snacks down him.
<br />
<br />Things that do go by the wayside is my weight. I wish I could schedule more time to exercise, plan more meals, but sometimes DH has evening meetings and once in awhile I do as well.
<br />
<br />Both of us have worked long enough at our jobs, that we have adequate comp and vacation time saved up for appointments.

saveferris2009

I feel very fortunate that my mom stayed home. Whenever I was ill she was there to help me. I got great nutrition, she was there for doc apts, there to comfort me, etc. No day care can replace that.

I'm convinced her attention to my health because she stayed at home has positively impacted my health - my FEV1 on Monday is 95%.

saveferris2009

I feel very fortunate that my mom stayed home. Whenever I was ill she was there to help me. I got great nutrition, she was there for doc apts, there to comfort me, etc. No day care can replace that.

I'm convinced her attention to my health because she stayed at home has positively impacted my health - my FEV1 on Monday is 95%.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />I'm convinced her attention to my health because she stayed at home has positively impacted my health - my FEV1 on Monday is 95%.