Working/School

pjspiegle

For me, mine will be leaving for college when I actually start working. While I do my clinicals, I will do as others do and change and shower when I get home first thing. I actually believe it is safer to for me to work in the hospital or doctors office than it is for me to take him shopping or to school. At least you know what the potentials are when working in such a setting and can take precautions but when you go out into the world you often do not know what you have been exposed to until it is too late to do anything about it.
I see your concern but it is that balance thing again. A friend that use to be one of Nathans CF nurses married a CFer and now works in the NICU. They have a beautiful set of twins and her husband seems to be doing really good currently.
I do think you have to consider which department you work in but there seems to be less risks than you would think.

pjspiegle

For me, mine will be leaving for college when I actually start working. While I do my clinicals, I will do as others do and change and shower when I get home first thing. I actually believe it is safer to for me to work in the hospital or doctors office than it is for me to take him shopping or to school. At least you know what the potentials are when working in such a setting and can take precautions but when you go out into the world you often do not know what you have been exposed to until it is too late to do anything about it.
I see your concern but it is that balance thing again. A friend that use to be one of Nathans CF nurses married a CFer and now works in the NICU. They have a beautiful set of twins and her husband seems to be doing really good currently.
I do think you have to consider which department you work in but there seems to be less risks than you would think.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

<br />I see your concern but it is that balance thing again. A friend that use to be one of Nathans CF nurses married a CFer and now works in the NICU. They have a beautiful set of twins and her husband seems to be doing really good currently.
<br />I do think you have to consider which department you work in but there seems to be less risks than you would think.

SuperRyan

Hello

I have my BSN and I have been working as a nurse for the past 11years, 4 of these 11 years have been since Ryan's CF diagnosis in 2005. Being a nurse offers me a great schedule that allows me to develop my career as a healthcare professional and still be able to take care of the needs of my family (expecially my little CFer). As far as bringing home "bugs", yes you have to be careful but you can also pick up bugs out in public as well. In nursing school you learn about Universal Precautions (i.e. good handwashing, gloves, contact precautions). Nurses, if anyone, are trained on how to not bring bugs home. My nursing knowledge has infact better prepared me to not only care for him but also to orchestrate his healthcare needs, due to the fact that I know how the medical system works.

That is great that your office has tuition has reimbursement. Definitley take advantage of this. If you need more info, please feel free to PM me. I am involved with the training of all of the new grads that come through my hospital, so I can even speak to you about a nursing program. Many programs out there now are so accomodating to peoples family lives as well.

Best of luck to you. I LOVE being a nurse and love being able to encourage anyone else who is thinking of going into this most valued profession.

SuperRyan

Hello

I have my BSN and I have been working as a nurse for the past 11years, 4 of these 11 years have been since Ryan's CF diagnosis in 2005. Being a nurse offers me a great schedule that allows me to develop my career as a healthcare professional and still be able to take care of the needs of my family (expecially my little CFer). As far as bringing home "bugs", yes you have to be careful but you can also pick up bugs out in public as well. In nursing school you learn about Universal Precautions (i.e. good handwashing, gloves, contact precautions). Nurses, if anyone, are trained on how to not bring bugs home. My nursing knowledge has infact better prepared me to not only care for him but also to orchestrate his healthcare needs, due to the fact that I know how the medical system works.

That is great that your office has tuition has reimbursement. Definitley take advantage of this. If you need more info, please feel free to PM me. I am involved with the training of all of the new grads that come through my hospital, so I can even speak to you about a nursing program. Many programs out there now are so accomodating to peoples family lives as well.

Best of luck to you. I LOVE being a nurse and love being able to encourage anyone else who is thinking of going into this most valued profession.

SuperRyan

Hello

SuperRyan

Hello

SuperRyan

Hello
<br />
<br />I have my BSN and I have been working as a nurse for the past 11years, 4 of these 11 years have been since Ryan's CF diagnosis in 2005. Being a nurse offers me a great schedule that allows me to develop my career as a healthcare professional and still be able to take care of the needs of my family (expecially my little CFer). As far as bringing home "bugs", yes you have to be careful but you can also pick up bugs out in public as well. In nursing school you learn about Universal Precautions (i.e. good handwashing, gloves, contact precautions). Nurses, if anyone, are trained on how to not bring bugs home. My nursing knowledge has infact better prepared me to not only care for him but also to orchestrate his healthcare needs, due to the fact that I know how the medical system works.
<br />
<br />That is great that your office has tuition has reimbursement. Definitley take advantage of this. If you need more info, please feel free to PM me. I am involved with the training of all of the new grads that come through my hospital, so I can even speak to you about a nursing program. Many programs out there now are so accomodating to peoples family lives as well.
<br />
<br />Best of luck to you. I LOVE being a nurse and love being able to encourage anyone else who is thinking of going into this most valued profession.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I am an RN as well; got my BSN in 1994. I , too, worry about bringing germs home with me. My scrubs, I have a separate laundry container for. As soon as I get home from work I, take off my scrubs, throw them in my laundry basket and jump in the shower. I do this laundry in a separate wash, with 1/2 of bleach thrown in. I would never bring either of my children to a staff meeting or to my work. In the perfect world; the hospital should provide your scrubs and you shower and change at work and the hospital launders the scrubs for you. Only one hospital, I 've worked for has done that and it was for OR staff or ICU(not sure about ER). Course it's a $ issue.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I am an RN as well; got my BSN in 1994. I , too, worry about bringing germs home with me. My scrubs, I have a separate laundry container for. As soon as I get home from work I, take off my scrubs, throw them in my laundry basket and jump in the shower. I do this laundry in a separate wash, with 1/2 of bleach thrown in. I would never bring either of my children to a staff meeting or to my work. In the perfect world; the hospital should provide your scrubs and you shower and change at work and the hospital launders the scrubs for you. Only one hospital, I 've worked for has done that and it was for OR staff or ICU(not sure about ER). Course it's a $ issue.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

ashton2005

Thank you everyone!!!! I have beenin the medical field for almost 6 years... 1.5 of those with my son!! havent brought anything home to him yet!! And i love working in this field just getting tired of the outpatient office setting!!

ashton2005

Thank you everyone!!!! I have beenin the medical field for almost 6 years... 1.5 of those with my son!! havent brought anything home to him yet!! And i love working in this field just getting tired of the outpatient office setting!!

ashton2005

ashton2005

ashton2005