Search results

1. J

Water on accessed port

So, I went to take a shower. I put a plastic bag with tape over my accessed port. During my shower, it leaked and then my tagaderm got water in it. So, we took off everything, my husband wiped it all down with alcohol, we flushed it and removed the needle. When I told my doctor about it, he...
  2. J

Blood in my port

I am currently on iv antibiotics through my port. I had my second antibiotic running without the alarm on and I fell asleep. When I woke up like an hour later, my line had blood filling it from my needle all the way into the first part of my med tubing. I immediately flushed it with saline...
  3. J

Sore nipple

No, I am not breastfeeding, but my nipple on one side is very sore and it reminds me of when I was breastfeeding. Actually, both are tender, but one especially sore. Could it be from antibiotic use, like a yeast infection. Has anyone ever experienced this (not related to breastfeeding)? Or...
  4. J

Changing port needle during iv

Im home on iv meds through my port. It's time for my weekly needle change and pro home iv can't do it. So my doctor sent orders for the hospital infusion center to do it, but they won't because he's not a local doctor. So he suggested I go to the ER!!? Hours sitting around in a germy...
  5. J

Bloody noses

Well, I am starting to have increased bloody noses, but I believe it is due to increased vitamin e, an anticoagulant. I was thinking that increased vitamin k would counteract that, since it's a natural coagulant. My question is how much is like a maximum dose of vitamin k per day? I already...
  6. J

In the hospital

So, I was hoping to get my doctor to agree since I had a port now either not to admit me, or commit to a couple of days, but no such luck. His reasoning: I have resistant bugs, colistin can cause seizures and study shows patients who remain in the hospital see a higher increase in fev1. It...
  7. J

Hospitalization and port

So, I'm thinking I'm going to be needing a hospitalization soon. My biggest dread is always how long my doctor is going to make me stay. He is not very flexible. But I'm wondering if that might be different now that I have a port. Will I even need to be hospitalized? Can they access it...
  8. J

Inhaled antibiotics

Doe anyone take tobi and cayston (or other inhaled antibiotics) on 2 week cycles or 1 week cycles? I am wondering if this will hinder the effectiveness of the drugs? Tobi (although keeping my hospital stays down) is literally making me so miserable I am ready to throw in the towel. I have no...
  9. J

Trouble with tobi

I really need tobi, as it's the only thing during my off months with cayston that is keeping me out of the hospital. However, it makes me cough like crazy 24-7 and lose my voice. It is the reason I had such bad incontinence and had surgery 3 years ago. Anyway, I think the worst part is that it...
  10. J

IV antibiotics periodically or as needed?

It seems there are two distinct opinions of CF doctors as far as PICC line/port antibiotic treatment. Camp 1: Treat every CF patient with IV antibiotics every 6 months (or every year) whether they have low PFTs or not. Camp 2: Treat with IV antibiotics when CF patient has a substantial PFT drop...
  11. J

Arizona--moving

Well, I have lived in Alaska for the last 11 years and this year my health has declined a lot. We have decided to move to Arizona, but I keep hearing negative things about lung health and Arizona and now am questioning it. Here were my arguments in favor of Arizona: 1. The cold in Alaska tends...
  12. J

appeal

Well, my insurance company changed our preferred provider to a different hospital. My CF doctor, however, wouldn't treat me at the other hospital. Being that my lung function was down from (May) 80% to (Oct) 36%, I felt it was crucial to be treated by my doctor whoknows me and my history andis...
  13. J

port questions

So, I got my port put in on Jan 1. It hurt for two weeks to move (stretch, turn, just exist), and that pain has ended. Now though, it still hurts to touch or press on port. I keep accidentally hitting it. It looks like it still is bruised on port site. Where the catheter is at doesn't hurt...
  14. J

CF center(s) in Phoenix, AZ

We are considering moving to Phoenix, AZ to be closer to my brother and his wife for support. Can anyone tell me anything about the CF center(s) and CF doctors in Phoenix? Do they listen to what you say? Are they up to date on the latest treatments, participate in drug studies? Are they...
  15. J

frozen saline

I accidentally left the box of saline syringes in the car overnight (for use with my port and iv medications). They froze. Once they thaw, can they be used or are they ruined?
  16. J

sluggish liver

It appears that my high bilirubin levels are probably not caused by gall stones, butby a sluggish liver??? Anyone have this or encounter this temporarily? What was the treatment and/or cause?
  17. J

port being placed tomorrow

Well, apparently they are placing my port tomorrow. I am a little unsure where to put it and how it will look. Does anyone have any pictures?
  18. J

Nervous

Well, I did it. I just submitted my disability request to my employer. I am praying that God makes everything go smoothly. It is really hard not to be nervous when my whole life is changing.
  19. J

please help

After 2.5 hours of trying every vein in both of my arms, the IV team at my hospital has stated that they are unable to place a PICC line in me. It looks like I will be getting a port. Please tell me about your experience getting one, how it feels/looks afterwards and upkeep. Thanks!
  20. J

doc and I disagree

<P>My doc and I disagree--he thinks each nebbed med below should take 20 min or less. I am finding that some of them are taking considerably longer. What is your experience?</P> <P>Pulmozyme</P> <P>Albuterol</P> <P>TOBI</P> <P>Hypertonic </P>