sinus surgery anyone?

ariesapie

Some time ago I was told I had nasal polyps and they would have to be removed at some time. I think that time has come and I was wondering if there were any CF'rs out there that had the surgery and how they felt after? and .... does anyone or did you before you had the surgery have almost no sense of smell?

ariesapie

Some time ago I was told I had nasal polyps and they would have to be removed at some time. I think that time has come and I was wondering if there were any CF'rs out there that had the surgery and how they felt after? and .... does anyone or did you before you had the surgery have almost no sense of smell?

ariesapie

ariesapie

ariesapie

W

welshwitch

I had the surgery when I was 12. It was a HUGE help! Now I'm actually talking to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor about perhaps getting the surgery again. (i'm 27 now).

He said that if the polyps are really bad then we'll operate, but if they're not bad then we'll hold off, because surgery for CF'ers is not encouraged because anasthesia is bad for the lungs. WTF!?? is this true?

I'm getting a cat scan next week to see if indeed they are "bad enough" to warrant surgery. Otherwise it seems like it's back to sinus rinse and nosespray for me (grumble...)

Anyone else had surgeons tell them that surgery was discouraged because anasthesia is bad for CFers lungs?

on another note, i have very minimal lung involvement so far w/ CF.

--welshwitch, 27, f, cf

W

welshwitch

I had the surgery when I was 12. It was a HUGE help! Now I'm actually talking to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor about perhaps getting the surgery again. (i'm 27 now).

He said that if the polyps are really bad then we'll operate, but if they're not bad then we'll hold off, because surgery for CF'ers is not encouraged because anasthesia is bad for the lungs. WTF!?? is this true?

I'm getting a cat scan next week to see if indeed they are "bad enough" to warrant surgery. Otherwise it seems like it's back to sinus rinse and nosespray for me (grumble...)

Anyone else had surgeons tell them that surgery was discouraged because anasthesia is bad for CFers lungs?

--welshwitch, 27, f, cf

W

welshwitch

--welshwitch, 27, f, cf

W

welshwitch

--welshwitch, 27, f, cf

W

welshwitch

--welshwitch, 27, f, cf

CaliSally

Hi -
I've had polyps removed several times, last time about 15 year ago. The first few times were when I was a kid, so I don't remember much. I remember being able to breath through my nose!!!
Before that, it felt stuffy all the time, with constant sinus headaches. I've always been hard-of-smelling and I asked my current dr if my polyps or surgery had something to do with that. He said no, that even those without sinus issues can have trouble smelling.
Let us know how it goes - best wishes

CaliSally

Hi -
I've had polyps removed several times, last time about 15 year ago. The first few times were when I was a kid, so I don't remember much. I remember being able to breath through my nose!!!
Before that, it felt stuffy all the time, with constant sinus headaches. I've always been hard-of-smelling and I asked my current dr if my polyps or surgery had something to do with that. He said no, that even those without sinus issues can have trouble smelling.

CaliSally

Hi -

CaliSally

Hi -

CaliSally

Hi -

mamerth

I have had 3 polyp surgeries. I had two of them back to back when I was in high school. The first one didn't give me much relief (reason for the second surgery). I got my smell back after they remove the gauze and I was able to do sinuses flushes for a few days. I don't do surgeries well so I was miserable for the few days after surgery (not related to the nose thing). I had one again in college-- had my sense of smell back quicker this time.

The headaches went away pretty quickly after each surgery (the headaches were more of any issue with surgery #1 and #2. The third surgery was just "routine".

I have not come across a doctor being hesitant to do surgery due to my CF. They did take precautions with infections (IV antibiotics), they used some special "knock you out drugs" so that I would have less problems after surgery, watched me a bit closer in recovery with breathing, and left me on oxygen after surgery (my numbers kept dropping). Most of my doctors have been very "quick" about getting me into surgery-- nasal and gallbladder. They were afraid more of the infections that would happen if they didnt' get me into surgery.

mamerth

I have had 3 polyp surgeries. I had two of them back to back when I was in high school. The first one didn't give me much relief (reason for the second surgery). I got my smell back after they remove the gauze and I was able to do sinuses flushes for a few days. I don't do surgeries well so I was miserable for the few days after surgery (not related to the nose thing). I had one again in college-- had my sense of smell back quicker this time.

The headaches went away pretty quickly after each surgery (the headaches were more of any issue with surgery #1 and #2. The third surgery was just "routine".

I have not come across a doctor being hesitant to do surgery due to my CF. They did take precautions with infections (IV antibiotics), they used some special "knock you out drugs" so that I would have less problems after surgery, watched me a bit closer in recovery with breathing, and left me on oxygen after surgery (my numbers kept dropping). Most of my doctors have been very "quick" about getting me into surgery-- nasal and gallbladder. They were afraid more of the infections that would happen if they didnt' get me into surgery.

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth