10 years left

kitomd21

I'm coming from the same place in life as I don't have CF, but my daughter does. I often wonder how she'll (we'll) face this issue. Many are able to look at her having CF and say that she'll fight it and do really well, but we just don't know what path she'll go down. That's very difficult. I would hate to have a definitive timeline of when she'll succumb because we would constantly fixate on how much time is left. We are enjoying her and loving her every moment and we're grateful God has given her to us for however long. We'll always encourage her to do what makes her happy.

From a non-CF standpoint, I intended to become a veterinarian...well, priorities changed and I am now a registered veterinary technician. Am I capable and intelligent enough to be a veterinarian? Yes. Were my academic achievements up to the standards of veterinary school admission? Yes. What it came down to is that I wanted a family and didn't want to spend 4+ years beyond obtaining my B.S. I wanted to have children while I was young and energetic enough to keep up with them and then hopefully be around to do the same with their children.

At any rate, I know it's different coming from someone who doesn't have CF, but - PRIORITIES CHANGE. It doesn't have to be related to how much time we have left...really, do what makes you happy. I don't make a lot as an RVT. I could make more as a veterinarian, but I'm happy where I am now and THAT'S OKAY!!!

My thoughts are with you....

kitomd21

I'm coming from the same place in life as I don't have CF, but my daughter does. I often wonder how she'll (we'll) face this issue. Many are able to look at her having CF and say that she'll fight it and do really well, but we just don't know what path she'll go down. That's very difficult. I would hate to have a definitive timeline of when she'll succumb because we would constantly fixate on how much time is left. We are enjoying her and loving her every moment and we're grateful God has given her to us for however long. We'll always encourage her to do what makes her happy.

From a non-CF standpoint, I intended to become a veterinarian...well, priorities changed and I am now a registered veterinary technician. Am I capable and intelligent enough to be a veterinarian? Yes. Were my academic achievements up to the standards of veterinary school admission? Yes. What it came down to is that I wanted a family and didn't want to spend 4+ years beyond obtaining my B.S. I wanted to have children while I was young and energetic enough to keep up with them and then hopefully be around to do the same with their children.

At any rate, I know it's different coming from someone who doesn't have CF, but - PRIORITIES CHANGE. It doesn't have to be related to how much time we have left...really, do what makes you happy. I don't make a lot as an RVT. I could make more as a veterinarian, but I'm happy where I am now and THAT'S OKAY!!!

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21

<br />
<br />From a non-CF standpoint, I intended to become a veterinarian...well, priorities changed and I am now a registered veterinary technician. Am I capable and intelligent enough to be a veterinarian? Yes. Were my academic achievements up to the standards of veterinary school admission? Yes. What it came down to is that I wanted a family and didn't want to spend 4+ years beyond obtaining my B.S. I wanted to have children while I was young and energetic enough to keep up with them and then hopefully be around to do the same with their children.
<br />
<br />At any rate, I know it's different coming from someone who doesn't have CF, but - PRIORITIES CHANGE. It doesn't have to be related to how much time we have left...really, do what makes you happy. I don't make a lot as an RVT. I could make more as a veterinarian, but I'm happy where I am now and THAT'S OKAY!!!
<br />
<br />My thoughts are with you....

Vampy

I would get in with god and pray. Keep doing the treatements and talk to your docs about alternatives like a lung transplant or things that might come from the problem you are facing. Live life and dont be afraid to fly. Life love and laugh each day you wake up in the morning and never forget that you are not alone in your battle my friend. I dont know if your religious but i personally would get close to god. Drs have told me personally that i wouldnt live past 2, i wouldnt be able to have a child...and i believe god has blessed me and i think he might be able to help you too luv. keep us posted
Love
vampy

Vampy

I would get in with god and pray. Keep doing the treatements and talk to your docs about alternatives like a lung transplant or things that might come from the problem you are facing. Live life and dont be afraid to fly. Life love and laugh each day you wake up in the morning and never forget that you are not alone in your battle my friend. I dont know if your religious but i personally would get close to god. Drs have told me personally that i wouldnt live past 2, i wouldnt be able to have a child...and i believe god has blessed me and i think he might be able to help you too luv. keep us posted
Love
vampy

Vampy

Love
vampy

Vampy

Love
vampy

Vampy

<br />Love
<br />vampy

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Lex</b></i>

Cf's silver lining....

....it reminds us that we will eventually die.</end quote></div>

Another silver lining: Sometimes it's a chance to get taken care of for a legitimate, non-whiny reason even though you are an adult. My sons take care of me a lot. I couldn't hold down a full time job if they didn't. For most of my life, I haven't felt particularly cared for. This has been good for my soul. Being on the receiving end instead of the giving end for a change has been a growth experience for me.

MicheleGazelle

Cf's silver lining....

Another silver lining: Sometimes it's a chance to get taken care of for a legitimate, non-whiny reason even though you are an adult. My sons take care of me a lot. I couldn't hold down a full time job if they didn't. For most of my life, I haven't felt particularly cared for. This has been good for my soul. Being on the receiving end instead of the giving end for a change has been a growth experience for me.

MicheleGazelle

Cf's silver lining....

MicheleGazelle

Cf's silver lining....

....it reminds us that we will eventually die.</end quote>

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />Cf's silver lining....
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />....it reminds us that we will eventually die.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Another silver lining: Sometimes it's a chance to get taken care of for a legitimate, non-whiny reason even though you are an adult. My sons take care of me a lot. I couldn't hold down a full time job if they didn't. For most of my life, I haven't felt particularly cared for. This has been good for my soul. Being on the receiving end instead of the giving end for a change has been a growth experience for me.

mamerth

There are days when I wonder how long I will be around "fighting this". I hope I am around for ever. Don't let 37 or 35 be that magic number. There people here that have live beyond "37". I guarantee you I will celebrate hug when #37 comes my way. I am not going to let that be the end. Numbers don't mean a thing-- we have to live life. Create a future for yourself, make plans for the next 5,10, 15... years.

Of course, be a touch realistic.

There will be days even week when this illness seems like too much to carry. Don't carry your burden alone... what is why we are all here. .

mamerth

There are days when I wonder how long I will be around "fighting this". I hope I am around for ever. Don't let 37 or 35 be that magic number. There people here that have live beyond "37". I guarantee you I will celebrate hug when #37 comes my way. I am not going to let that be the end. Numbers don't mean a thing-- we have to live life. Create a future for yourself, make plans for the next 5,10, 15... years.

There will be days even week when this illness seems like too much to carry. Don't carry your burden alone... what is why we are all here. .

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth

<br />
<br />Of course, be a touch realistic.
<br />
<br />There will be days even week when this illness seems like too much to carry. Don't carry your burden alone... what is why we are all here. .