10 years left

Nightwriter

I can hear your heart starting to sing. I'm so happy you made the decision to follow your dreams and that you have a wonderful wife standing beside you. As you now know, pain makes change. When I was pursuing my own dream, the pain of not achieving my goal made it unbearable and gave me the courage to sneak into places, call intimidating people, and to keep trying when sometimes my dream was slipping away. And it's so sweet when you can work at something you really love, instead of staring at a clock or living just for your leisure time.

I always thought we spend to much time at work to be doing something you hate. In college I majored in Physical Education. When I was a teenager, I worked in a movie theater. Someone once said to me, "You think life should always amuse you." Of course.

I can see why you might not want to spend your days doing accounting. Although, NASA sounds pretty cool. But if you can make a difference in an inner city school kid's life or teach rock climbing (again soaring to new heights) you will come home every day with a smile on your face.

Best of luck to you. And a big hug to a wife that is making it possible for you to realize your dreams.

Nightwriter

I can hear your heart starting to sing. I'm so happy you made the decision to follow your dreams and that you have a wonderful wife standing beside you. As you now know, pain makes change. When I was pursuing my own dream, the pain of not achieving my goal made it unbearable and gave me the courage to sneak into places, call intimidating people, and to keep trying when sometimes my dream was slipping away. And it's so sweet when you can work at something you really love, instead of staring at a clock or living just for your leisure time.

I always thought we spend to much time at work to be doing something you hate. In college I majored in Physical Education. When I was a teenager, I worked in a movie theater. Someone once said to me, "You think life should always amuse you." Of course.

I can see why you might not want to spend your days doing accounting. Although, NASA sounds pretty cool. But if you can make a difference in an inner city school kid's life or teach rock climbing (again soaring to new heights) you will come home every day with a smile on your face.

Best of luck to you. And a big hug to a wife that is making it possible for you to realize your dreams.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />I always thought we spend to much time at work to be doing something you hate. In college I majored in Physical Education. When I was a teenager, I worked in a movie theater. Someone once said to me, "You think life should always amuse you." Of course.
<br />
<br />I can see why you might not want to spend your days doing accounting. Although, NASA sounds pretty cool. But if you can make a difference in an inner city school kid's life or teach rock climbing (again soaring to new heights) you will come home every day with a smile on your face.
<br />
<br />Best of luck to you. And a big hug to a wife that is making it possible for you to realize your dreams.

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Poobah</b></i>
Beyond that, do what makes you feel good. I dropped out of the workforce and am doing volunteer work. I liked my job as a Project Manager, but working with other cancer patients, disabled children and hospice patients is far more rewarding, and much less demanding.
</end quote></div>

When I took a class called "Homelessness and Public Policy", our main textbook was a book called "Tell them who I am". It was written by a man who learned he was dying of cancer and decided to quit his job and spend his last months at the volunteer work he found so gratifying and to write a book about the lives of the homeless folks he knew through his volunteer work. It is one of the most wonderful things I have ever read. I think he lived his last year or so very fully, instead of just existing and doing treatments.

MicheleGazelle

Beyond that, do what makes you feel good. I dropped out of the workforce and am doing volunteer work. I liked my job as a Project Manager, but working with other cancer patients, disabled children and hospice patients is far more rewarding, and much less demanding.
</end quote></div>

When I took a class called "Homelessness and Public Policy", our main textbook was a book called "Tell them who I am". It was written by a man who learned he was dying of cancer and decided to quit his job and spend his last months at the volunteer work he found so gratifying and to write a book about the lives of the homeless folks he knew through his volunteer work. It is one of the most wonderful things I have ever read. I think he lived his last year or so very fully, instead of just existing and doing treatments.

MicheleGazelle

</end quote></div>

MicheleGazelle

</end quote>

MicheleGazelle

<br />Beyond that, do what makes you feel good. I dropped out of the workforce and am doing volunteer work. I liked my job as a Project Manager, but working with other cancer patients, disabled children and hospice patients is far more rewarding, and much less demanding.
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />When I took a class called "Homelessness and Public Policy", our main textbook was a book called "Tell them who I am". It was written by a man who learned he was dying of cancer and decided to quit his job and spend his last months at the volunteer work he found so gratifying and to write a book about the lives of the homeless folks he knew through his volunteer work. It is one of the most wonderful things I have ever read. I think he lived his last year or so very fully, instead of just existing and doing treatments.

W

welshwitch

do what you really want to do. life's too short to waste it with jobs that are a waste of your time and spirit. additionally, i agree with what a lot of folks are saying. don't pay attention to the statistics. if you do, you'll waste a lot of time worrying about it--and then, what IF you live til 50? 60? 80? more wasted time and energy. cfers know more than most to just go for it.

W

welshwitch

do what you really want to do. life's too short to waste it with jobs that are a waste of your time and spirit. additionally, i agree with what a lot of folks are saying. don't pay attention to the statistics. if you do, you'll waste a lot of time worrying about it--and then, what IF you live til 50? 60? 80? more wasted time and energy. cfers know more than most to just go for it.

W

welshwitch

W

welshwitch

W

welshwitch

mabusincarnate

The idea of NASA is cool. I've experienced some things that most people outside of Houston have only seen on TV.

However, there's a dark side of NASA people don't like to talk about. When was the last time you enjoyed your visit to the DMV or better yet, filing your tax return? It's government work.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I won't quit my job until I figure it out. This process won't happen over night.

My wife has her reservations but overall, she's supportive. I plan to contribute in ways other than with a 'real' paycheck. Right now we eat out at least 2 meals per day. We go months without going to the grocery store. That's not an exaggeration. If I'm not working a "real" job, I'll cook nice meals like I did before we were both so busy.

mabusincarnate

The idea of NASA is cool. I've experienced some things that most people outside of Houston have only seen on TV.

However, there's a dark side of NASA people don't like to talk about. When was the last time you enjoyed your visit to the DMV or better yet, filing your tax return? It's government work.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I won't quit my job until I figure it out. This process won't happen over night.

My wife has her reservations but overall, she's supportive. I plan to contribute in ways other than with a 'real' paycheck. Right now we eat out at least 2 meals per day. We go months without going to the grocery store. That's not an exaggeration. If I'm not working a "real" job, I'll cook nice meals like I did before we were both so busy.

mabusincarnate

mabusincarnate

mabusincarnate

<br />
<br />However, there's a dark side of NASA people don't like to talk about. When was the last time you enjoyed your visit to the DMV or better yet, filing your tax return? It's government work.
<br />
<br />I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I won't quit my job until I figure it out. This process won't happen over night.
<br />
<br />My wife has her reservations but overall, she's supportive. I plan to contribute in ways other than with a 'real' paycheck. Right now we eat out at least 2 meals per day. We go months without going to the grocery store. That's not an exaggeration. If I'm not working a "real" job, I'll cook nice meals like I did before we were both so busy.