10 years left

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mabusincarnate</b></i>

But, my wife refuses to move. She will let me quit my job to find something I like but she draws the line at giving up what she likes. That's fair, I guess but there's a market for her job all over the country. Whatever...</end quote></div>

That bites. I divorced a man whom I felt was a threat to my life over the things he would not do/could not change in himself. So I can understand the frustration.

I will suggest that you consider doing some scouting and find a job/volunteer work/whatever in the least polluted/most tolerable spot you can manage to commute to from where you currently live. Being in a less polluted environment even a few hours a week might improve things for you. And maybe do some research on which houseplants will help improve air quality. I recall Aloe Vera are in the top five for that. I used to have a bunch of them. They are low maintenance desert plants, so they survived my severe neglect of them. It might be a way to help your situation without being a huge time and energy burden.

Even in a region, there will be variability in air quality from spot to spot. I was adamant about getting into the apartment complex I live in. It is tons cleaner than any other apartment complex I looked at. Most of them, we drove into the parking lot and turned around and drove out because we began to cough and gag. This one is up on a hill, surrounded by trees, and the dumpster is at the bottom of the hill with its own driveway for the dump truck to access. The apartment complex next to us has much poorer air quality in part because some of their apartments have fireplaces, even though it is also up on a hill and surrounded by trees and the dumpster has a similar placement (though without its own entrance for the dump truck).

So if you are stuck in Houston, I would encourage you to do what you can to arrange the best air quality you can in your home and in whatever employment or other activities you pursue.

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mabusincarnate</b></i>

But, my wife refuses to move. She will let me quit my job to find something I like but she draws the line at giving up what she likes. That's fair, I guess but there's a market for her job all over the country. Whatever...</end quote></div>

That bites. I divorced a man whom I felt was a threat to my life over the things he would not do/could not change in himself. So I can understand the frustration.

I will suggest that you consider doing some scouting and find a job/volunteer work/whatever in the least polluted/most tolerable spot you can manage to commute to from where you currently live. Being in a less polluted environment even a few hours a week might improve things for you. And maybe do some research on which houseplants will help improve air quality. I recall Aloe Vera are in the top five for that. I used to have a bunch of them. They are low maintenance desert plants, so they survived my severe neglect of them. It might be a way to help your situation without being a huge time and energy burden.

Even in a region, there will be variability in air quality from spot to spot. I was adamant about getting into the apartment complex I live in. It is tons cleaner than any other apartment complex I looked at. Most of them, we drove into the parking lot and turned around and drove out because we began to cough and gag. This one is up on a hill, surrounded by trees, and the dumpster is at the bottom of the hill with its own driveway for the dump truck to access. The apartment complex next to us has much poorer air quality in part because some of their apartments have fireplaces, even though it is also up on a hill and surrounded by trees and the dumpster has a similar placement (though without its own entrance for the dump truck).

So if you are stuck in Houston, I would encourage you to do what you can to arrange the best air quality you can in your home and in whatever employment or other activities you pursue.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

But, my wife refuses to move. She will let me quit my job to find something I like but she draws the line at giving up what she likes. That's fair, I guess but there's a market for her job all over the country. Whatever...</end quote>

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />
<br />But, my wife refuses to move. She will let me quit my job to find something I like but she draws the line at giving up what she likes. That's fair, I guess but there's a market for her job all over the country. Whatever...</end quote>
<br />
<br />That bites. I divorced a man whom I felt was a threat to my life over the things he would not do/could not change in himself. So I can understand the frustration.
<br />
<br />I will suggest that you consider doing some scouting and find a job/volunteer work/whatever in the least polluted/most tolerable spot you can manage to commute to from where you currently live. Being in a less polluted environment even a few hours a week might improve things for you. And maybe do some research on which houseplants will help improve air quality. I recall Aloe Vera are in the top five for that. I used to have a bunch of them. They are low maintenance desert plants, so they survived my severe neglect of them. It might be a way to help your situation without being a huge time and energy burden.
<br />
<br />Even in a region, there will be variability in air quality from spot to spot. I was adamant about getting into the apartment complex I live in. It is tons cleaner than any other apartment complex I looked at. Most of them, we drove into the parking lot and turned around and drove out because we began to cough and gag. This one is up on a hill, surrounded by trees, and the dumpster is at the bottom of the hill with its own driveway for the dump truck to access. The apartment complex next to us has much poorer air quality in part because some of their apartments have fireplaces, even though it is also up on a hill and surrounded by trees and the dumpster has a similar placement (though without its own entrance for the dump truck).
<br />
<br />So if you are stuck in Houston, I would encourage you to do what you can to arrange the best air quality you can in your home and in whatever employment or other activities you pursue.

mabusincarnate

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>
</end quote></div>

Living in Houston isn't a deal breaker for our marriage, by any means. We live in one of those downtown urban (gentrified urban, not hoodrat) things with all the nightlife within walking distance. The bad areas are out in the suburbs with the refineries. The air gets so bad it makes you want to deepthroat a diesel exhaust for a breath of fresher air.

mabusincarnate

</end quote></div>

Living in Houston isn't a deal breaker for our marriage, by any means. We live in one of those downtown urban (gentrified urban, not hoodrat) things with all the nightlife within walking distance. The bad areas are out in the suburbs with the refineries. The air gets so bad it makes you want to deepthroat a diesel exhaust for a breath of fresher air.

mabusincarnate

</end quote></div>

mabusincarnate

</end quote>

mabusincarnate

<br />That bites. I divorced a man whom I felt was a threat to my life over the things he would not do/could not change in himself. So I can understand the frustration.
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />Living in Houston isn't a deal breaker for our marriage, by any means. We live in one of those downtown urban (gentrified urban, not hoodrat) things with all the nightlife within walking distance. The bad areas are out in the suburbs with the refineries. The air gets so bad it makes you want to deepthroat a diesel exhaust for a breath of fresher air.
<br />
<br />

MicheleGazelle

LOL at "deepthroat a diesel exhaust for a breath of fresher air."
<br />
<br />I wasn't trying to suggest divorce. That was just my situation.

flynnycat

my boyfriend has been told several times that he wouldn't live past a certain age. He's still here, and I am doing my best to keep it that way by keeping him healthy. He says that a positive outlook is a must, and that negativity must be banished. Be grateful for each day we have. I know it's cliche, but it's true. I've learned a lot from my guy.

flynnycat

my boyfriend has been told several times that he wouldn't live past a certain age. He's still here, and I am doing my best to keep it that way by keeping him healthy. He says that a positive outlook is a must, and that negativity must be banished. Be grateful for each day we have. I know it's cliche, but it's true. I've learned a lot from my guy.

flynnycat

flynnycat

flynnycat