6th months Pregnant & Concern

dchavez5

Hi, I'm pregnant and this is my first child. We're very excited, but we found out our child has inherited both of our CF genes. I would like to know what to expect after giving birth? What type of they will run on my baby, besides the sweat test? Any suggestions how to set up the baby room for a CF Child or other rooms in the house, such as air filters, etc. I'm assuming I'm appointed to a pediatric pulmonary physician after the baby's diagnois? I've tried to make several calls to physicians that fall under my medical plan so I can prepare, but none of them have called me back. I just want to be ready and prepare when my baby comes. any suggestions.

dchavez5

Hi, I'm pregnant and this is my first child. We're very excited, but we found out our child has inherited both of our CF genes. I would like to know what to expect after giving birth? What type of they will run on my baby, besides the sweat test? Any suggestions how to set up the baby room for a CF Child or other rooms in the house, such as air filters, etc. I'm assuming I'm appointed to a pediatric pulmonary physician after the baby's diagnois? I've tried to make several calls to physicians that fall under my medical plan so I can prepare, but none of them have called me back. I just want to be ready and prepare when my baby comes. any suggestions.

dchavez5

dchavez5

dchavez5

sdavis227

I'm a little confused. Do you yourself have CF? Did you find out through an amnio that your baby will have CF?
I think it depends, but I would imagine that if you had the amnio done already, and there are two mutations, there is already a diagnosis and they may just need to do a sweat test.
If you have a definite diagnosis, then you should be able to find a CFF accredited CF clinic near you by going <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CareCenterNetwork/CFFoundation-accreditedCareCenters/">here</a>

sdavis227

I'm a little confused. Do you yourself have CF? Did you find out through an amnio that your baby will have CF?
I think it depends, but I would imagine that if you had the amnio done already, and there are two mutations, there is already a diagnosis and they may just need to do a sweat test.
If you have a definite diagnosis, then you should be able to find a CFF accredited CF clinic near you by going <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CareCenterNetwork/CFFoundation-accreditedCareCenters/">here</a>

sdavis227

sdavis227

sdavis227

SJCmoon

Hello,
I have a 2 week old son that was diagnosed with CF at 28 weeks in utero. We had at least one ultrasound a month to watch for abdominal blockages and his development.
Upon his birth my son had a blood draw to confirm and will be given a sweat test when a month old. He was not even 12 hours old and he began enzymes in a small amount of applesauce. Also he started water and fat soluble vitamins as well as saline to ensure he has enough salt in his system.
Also, he had to have a bm within 24 hrs. of his birth to ensure his bowels were working properly.
His first CF appointment will be when he is almost a month old. At that time we will work with the time and plan treatments, etc.

Hope this helps.

SJCmoon

Hello,
I have a 2 week old son that was diagnosed with CF at 28 weeks in utero. We had at least one ultrasound a month to watch for abdominal blockages and his development.
Upon his birth my son had a blood draw to confirm and will be given a sweat test when a month old. He was not even 12 hours old and he began enzymes in a small amount of applesauce. Also he started water and fat soluble vitamins as well as saline to ensure he has enough salt in his system.
Also, he had to have a bm within 24 hrs. of his birth to ensure his bowels were working properly.
His first CF appointment will be when he is almost a month old. At that time we will work with the time and plan treatments, etc.

Hope this helps.

SJCmoon

Hello,

Hope this helps.

SJCmoon

Hello,

Hope this helps.

SJCmoon

Hello,

Hope this helps.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Deanna,

I found out my daughter would have CF when I was 23 weeks pregnant with her. I got a consult from my OB/GYN to a CF clinic PRIOR to my daughter 's birth. Yes insurance did pay for the consult. I met with a pediatric CF Doctor at a CF clinic and he answered alot of questions about what it's like to have a CF child. To find an Accredidated CF center near you go to www.cff.org. This is the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's website. The information you find on the website is reliable. Be careful when looking up things on the internet, alot of information is outdated and does not pertain to our CF children. Have you had an ultrasound of the baby yet? Alot of times they like to do ultrasounds on the baby to make sure the bowels on the baby are ok. Some CF babies get a meconium ilues at birth and to know ahead of the birth and be prepared would be important.

We started Chest PT(clapping on the back) on our daughter as a newborn. This is also som thing you could learn ahead of time. I think getting to know the CF team ahead of time would put you at a huge advantage for your baby's birth.

Feel free to e-mail me with question or concerns. Oh, and you can breastfeed a CF baby. Our daughter needed enzymes to digest her breastmilk(very common for people with CF)

Good luck !

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Deanna,

I found out my daughter would have CF when I was 23 weeks pregnant with her. I got a consult from my OB/GYN to a CF clinic PRIOR to my daughter 's birth. Yes insurance did pay for the consult. I met with a pediatric CF Doctor at a CF clinic and he answered alot of questions about what it's like to have a CF child. To find an Accredidated CF center near you go to www.cff.org. This is the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's website. The information you find on the website is reliable. Be careful when looking up things on the internet, alot of information is outdated and does not pertain to our CF children. Have you had an ultrasound of the baby yet? Alot of times they like to do ultrasounds on the baby to make sure the bowels on the baby are ok. Some CF babies get a meconium ilues at birth and to know ahead of the birth and be prepared would be important.

We started Chest PT(clapping on the back) on our daughter as a newborn. This is also som thing you could learn ahead of time. I think getting to know the CF team ahead of time would put you at a huge advantage for your baby's birth.

Feel free to e-mail me with question or concerns. Oh, and you can breastfeed a CF baby. Our daughter needed enzymes to digest her breastmilk(very common for people with CF)

Good luck !

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Deanna,

Good luck !

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Deanna,

Good luck !

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Deanna,

Good luck !