770 approved!!!!!!!!!

S

semperfiohana

I'm still awaiting a call back from my doctor's office. I am assuming tomorrow morning. I have called Foundation Care which is one of the pharmacies that will be carrying kalydeco. The person I spoke with had to put me on hold a few times, she said I was the first person who had called lol. She took all my info and they are just waiting for the doctor's office to fax a prescription to them. They will then start the process with the insurance company. I'm hoping all goes smoothly and quickly. They don't even have the drug in pharamacy yet. She said she thinks they will get it on Thursday. This is so exciting!!!

S

semperfiohana

I'm still awaiting a call back from my doctor's office. I am assuming tomorrow morning. I have called Foundation Care which is one of the pharmacies that will be carrying kalydeco. The person I spoke with had to put me on hold a few times, she said I was the first person who had called lol. She took all my info and they are just waiting for the doctor's office to fax a prescription to them. They will then start the process with the insurance company. I'm hoping all goes smoothly and quickly. They don't even have the drug in pharamacy yet. She said she thinks they will get it on Thursday. This is so exciting!!!

S

SarahProcter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>dramamama</b></i> and it helps all gating mutationsssss!!!!!!</end quote>

Could you elaborate on this, please? It was my understanding that they were still testing mutations to see which ones it works for?
My daughter has an obscure mutation (only one other person they could find a record of having it) which they theorize is likely to be a gating defect because of how mild it is, but they do not know. When discussing this with her CF doctor, he said that they didn't know which of the gating mutations would be helped by 770; they thought that it would likely help others, and were sure that it would help some others, but they don't know categorically whether it will help all gating mutations because there are variations in the defects in the gating mechanism. Do you have further information to the contrary? I would love to read it. Thanks much!

S

SarahProcter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>dramamama</b></i> and it helps all gating mutationsssss!!!!!!</end quote>

Could you elaborate on this, please? It was my understanding that they were still testing mutations to see which ones it works for?
My daughter has an obscure mutation (only one other person they could find a record of having it) which they theorize is likely to be a gating defect because of how mild it is, but they do not know. When discussing this with her CF doctor, he said that they didn't know which of the gating mutations would be helped by 770; they thought that it would likely help others, and were sure that it would help some others, but they don't know categorically whether it will help all gating mutations because there are variations in the defects in the gating mechanism. Do you have further information to the contrary? I would love to read it. Thanks much!

dramamama

FOUND IT!!
<strong>FINAL ID: </strong>10 <strong>CONTACT NAME: CATEGORY: </strong>CFTR <strong>KEYWORDS: </strong>CFTR, CFTR mutations, G551D, potentiator, preclinical
<strong>Abstract TITLE: </strong>VX-770 POTENTIATION OF CFTR FORMS WITH CHANNEL GATING DEFECTS IN VITRO <strong>AUTHORS (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME): </strong>Van Goor, Fredrick; Yu, Haihui; Burton, Bill; Huang, Tony; Hoffman, Beth; Negulescu, Paul <strong>INSTITUTIONS (ALL): </strong>Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, San Diego, CA, USA. <strong>ABSTRACT BODY: Abstract Body: </strong>VX-770 is a CFTR potentiator that has been shown to enhance chloride transport and improve lung function, as measured by FEV<span>1, in subjects with CF with the <em>G551D-CFTR </em>mutation. The G551D mutation causes a defect in CFTR channel gating that prevents the channel from opening properly, resulting in a loss of chloride transport. The objective of this in vitro study was to test if VX-770 potentiates CFTR forms produced by other <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations. To do this, CFTR-mediated chloride transport was characterized in electrophysiological studies using recombinant Fisher rat thyroid (FRT) cell lines engineered to express a single mutant CFTR form encoded by a <em>CFTR </em>gating mutation. These included the known CF-causing <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations, G551D, G178R, G551S, G970R, G1244E, S1255P, and G1349D. In addition, single channel patch clamp studies demonstrated that the CF-causing mutations in the <em>CFTR </em>gene, S549N, S549R, and S1251N, are <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations. The baseline level of chloride transport was low (< 10% of normal CFTR function) in FRT cells expressing CF-causing <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations, which is consistent with the low levels of CFTR function as indicated by the high sweat chloride levels (> 80 mmol/L) in patients with CF carrying these mutations. Addition of VX-770 caused a >10-fold increase in CFTR-mediated chloride transport in all the mutations tested, reaching levels equivalent to between 19% and 146% of normal CFTR. For all CF-causing <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations tested, the magnitude of the VX-770 response was similar to or greater than that measured for <em>G551D-CFTR</em>. With the exception of the G1244E mutation, the potency (EC<span>50) of VX-770 was also similar to <em>G551D-CFTR </em>for all <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations tested. These in vitro results showed that VX-770 caused a robust potentiation of mutant CFTR forms encoded by the CF-causing <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations G551D, G178R, G551S, G970R, G1244E, S1255P, G1349D, S549N, S549R, and S1251N. Supported by Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated..

dramamama

FOUND IT!!
<strong>FINAL ID: </strong>10 <strong>CONTACT NAME: CATEGORY: </strong>CFTR <strong>KEYWORDS: </strong>CFTR, CFTR mutations, G551D, potentiator, preclinical
<strong>Abstract TITLE: </strong>VX-770 POTENTIATION OF CFTR FORMS WITH CHANNEL GATING DEFECTS IN VITRO <strong>AUTHORS (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME): </strong>Van Goor, Fredrick; Yu, Haihui; Burton, Bill; Huang, Tony; Hoffman, Beth; Negulescu, Paul <strong>INSTITUTIONS (ALL): </strong>Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, San Diego, CA, USA. <strong>ABSTRACT BODY: Abstract Body: </strong>VX-770 is a CFTR potentiator that has been shown to enhance chloride transport and improve lung function, as measured by FEV<span>1, in subjects with CF with the <em>G551D-CFTR </em>mutation. The G551D mutation causes a defect in CFTR channel gating that prevents the channel from opening properly, resulting in a loss of chloride transport. The objective of this in vitro study was to test if VX-770 potentiates CFTR forms produced by other <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations. To do this, CFTR-mediated chloride transport was characterized in electrophysiological studies using recombinant Fisher rat thyroid (FRT) cell lines engineered to express a single mutant CFTR form encoded by a <em>CFTR </em>gating mutation. These included the known CF-causing <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations, G551D, G178R, G551S, G970R, G1244E, S1255P, and G1349D. In addition, single channel patch clamp studies demonstrated that the CF-causing mutations in the <em>CFTR </em>gene, S549N, S549R, and S1251N, are <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations. The baseline level of chloride transport was low (< 10% of normal CFTR function) in FRT cells expressing CF-causing <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations, which is consistent with the low levels of CFTR function as indicated by the high sweat chloride levels (> 80 mmol/L) in patients with CF carrying these mutations. Addition of VX-770 caused a >10-fold increase in CFTR-mediated chloride transport in all the mutations tested, reaching levels equivalent to between 19% and 146% of normal CFTR. For all CF-causing <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations tested, the magnitude of the VX-770 response was similar to or greater than that measured for <em>G551D-CFTR</em>. With the exception of the G1244E mutation, the potency (EC<span>50) of VX-770 was also similar to <em>G551D-CFTR </em>for all <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations tested. These in vitro results showed that VX-770 caused a robust potentiation of mutant CFTR forms encoded by the CF-causing <em>CFTR </em>gating mutations G551D, G178R, G551S, G970R, G1244E, S1255P, G1349D, S549N, S549R, and S1251N. Supported by Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated..

Anomie

DF508 is not included in this. I'm very sorry but we're going to have to wait a couple more years for vx 809 to hopefully be approved. Once again I'm very sorry this won't help you carly but you may be able to get on the vx 809 clinical trials which are currently recruiting patients. I know they just modified this one to include people with only one copy of the f508 gene.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01225211

Anomie

DF508 is not included in this. I'm very sorry but we're going to have to wait a couple more years for vx 809 to hopefully be approved. Once again I'm very sorry this won't help you carly but you may be able to get on the vx 809 clinical trials which are currently recruiting patients. I know they just modified this one to include people with only one copy of the f508 gene.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01225211

Anomie

While further trials are being conducted to see if kalydeco works on other mutations I don't believe its yet approved for anything but G551D. I could be wrong and hopefully I am.

Anomie

While further trials are being conducted to see if kalydeco works on other mutations I don't believe its yet approved for anything but G551D. I could be wrong and hopefully I am.

S

SarahProcter

Thank you, dramamamma, for the detailed citation, I really appreciate it!

If I am reading it correctly, they tested it with a subset of gating defect mutations, and it helped for almost all of them, but not for one of the ones tested. Therefore, I am thinking that it is not safe to assume that it works for all gating mutations.

Please don't be offended if I seem to be parsing things too finely. I am defending myself against misplaced hope. My daughter's mutation is not one of the ones tested; not all the gating mutations they tested were corrected by this drug; therefore I should not relax too soon.

S

SarahProcter

Thank you, dramamamma, for the detailed citation, I really appreciate it!

If I am reading it correctly, they tested it with a subset of gating defect mutations, and it helped for almost all of them, but not for one of the ones tested. Therefore, I am thinking that it is not safe to assume that it works for all gating mutations.

Please don't be offended if I seem to be parsing things too finely. I am defending myself against misplaced hope. My daughter's mutation is not one of the ones tested; not all the gating mutations they tested were corrected by this drug; therefore I should not relax too soon.

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SarahProcter</b></i>If I am reading it correctly, they tested it with a subset of gating defect mutations, and it helped for almost all of them, but not for one of the ones tested. </end quote>
What is said was that the potency (dosage) needed was different from G551D. But it still worked for that mutation. So, there is still lots of reason to keep our fingers crossed. We will have to wait and see how the drug works in the next round of trials!

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SarahProcter</b></i>If I am reading it correctly, they tested it with a subset of gating defect mutations, and it helped for almost all of them, but not for one of the ones tested. </end quote>
What is said was that the potency (dosage) needed was different from G551D. But it still worked for that mutation. So, there is still lots of reason to keep our fingers crossed. We will have to wait and see how the drug works in the next round of trials!

K

kgfrompa

Tears of Joy!!Never thought I would see such good news in my lifetime!!

K

kgfrompa

Tears of Joy!!Never thought I would see such good news in my lifetime!!

saveferris2009

From the CFF website:

"In 2012, Vertex also plans to begin a Phase 2 clinical trial of Kalydeco in combination with another potential therapy, VX-661, in people with two copies of the Delta F508 mutation of CF."

http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/NewsEvents/2011NewsArchive/11-2-NEJM-Features-Kalydeco-Study.cfm

saveferris2009

From the CFF website:

"In 2012, Vertex also plans to begin a Phase 2 clinical trial of Kalydeco in combination with another potential therapy, VX-661, in people with two copies of the Delta F508 mutation of CF."

http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/NewsEvents/2011NewsArchive/11-2-NEJM-Features-Kalydeco-Study.cfm