accessing port

jfarel

My home health nurses has tried one two occassions to access my port only to have to call on another nurse. Has anyone else had this nightmare scenario. I'm currently waiting for the other nurse to show up. This happened on Monday and the other nurse accessed it right away.I'm really getting frustrated.

The nurse who is having difficulty admits she infrequently accesses ports and I don't think she has ever accessed an arm port.

jfarel

My home health nurses has tried one two occassions to access my port only to have to call on another nurse. Has anyone else had this nightmare scenario. I'm currently waiting for the other nurse to show up. This happened on Monday and the other nurse accessed it right away.I'm really getting frustrated.

The nurse who is having difficulty admits she infrequently accesses ports and I don't think she has ever accessed an arm port.

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

<br />
<br />The nurse who is having difficulty admits she infrequently accesses ports and I don't think she has ever accessed an arm port.

Sevenstars

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jfarel</b></i>
I don't think she has ever accessed an arm port.</end quote></div>

That is THE WORST excuse I have ever heard. It is not even an excuse. A port is a port is a port. It doesn't matter where it is, unless you are trying to access it yourself. The target area is the same. It's a bump with some skin stretched over it, it's not difficult.

I'm really sorry you had to go through all that - that's why I now access my own port, always. All it took was one nurse flubbing it three times in a row for me to make the decision. She actually stabbed the needle in, incorrectly (it hit the metal on the port, instead of the acessible area) and then took the needle out and stabbed it back in - same needle, no more sterilzation...

When the next nurse comes, ask her if she knows what she's doing beforehand, and if she isn't confident in her ability to do it, tell her to leave.

I've never had medical training, have only been doing this for about 3ish years, and I have never fucked up an access. It makes all the more infuriating to me when a real nurse does mess up. Good luck. :/

Sevenstars

That is THE WORST excuse I have ever heard. It is not even an excuse. A port is a port is a port. It doesn't matter where it is, unless you are trying to access it yourself. The target area is the same. It's a bump with some skin stretched over it, it's not difficult.

I'm really sorry you had to go through all that - that's why I now access my own port, always. All it took was one nurse flubbing it three times in a row for me to make the decision. She actually stabbed the needle in, incorrectly (it hit the metal on the port, instead of the acessible area) and then took the needle out and stabbed it back in - same needle, no more sterilzation...

When the next nurse comes, ask her if she knows what she's doing beforehand, and if she isn't confident in her ability to do it, tell her to leave.

I've never had medical training, have only been doing this for about 3ish years, and I have never fucked up an access. It makes all the more infuriating to me when a real nurse does mess up. Good luck. :/

Sevenstars

Sevenstars

I don't think she has ever accessed an arm port.</end quote>

Sevenstars

<br /> I don't think she has ever accessed an arm port.</end quote>
<br />
<br />That is THE WORST excuse I have ever heard. It is not even an excuse. A port is a port is a port. It doesn't matter where it is, unless you are trying to access it yourself. The target area is the same. It's a bump with some skin stretched over it, it's not difficult.
<br />
<br />I'm really sorry you had to go through all that - that's why I now access my own port, always. All it took was one nurse flubbing it three times in a row for me to make the decision. She actually stabbed the needle in, incorrectly (it hit the metal on the port, instead of the acessible area) and then took the needle out and stabbed it back in - same needle, no more sterilzation...
<br />
<br />When the next nurse comes, ask her if she knows what she's doing beforehand, and if she isn't confident in her ability to do it, tell her to leave.
<br />
<br />I've never had medical training, have only been doing this for about 3ish years, and I have never fucked up an access. It makes all the more infuriating to me when a real nurse does mess up. Good luck. :/
<br />

jfarel

They finally got it accessed but the second nurse had to try three times. I don't know what else to do. I have no idea how to access it myself and its in an area of my arm where it might be a little difficult for me.

jfarel

They finally got it accessed but the second nurse had to try three times. I don't know what else to do. I have no idea how to access it myself and its in an area of my arm where it might be a little difficult for me.

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

Emily65Roses

Yeah that sounds like a load of crap to me. It's not like they have to "find" it like they sometimes do with veins. It's very obvious where the thing is, it's impossible to miss. Get someone who's not a halfwit... or have someone teach you how to do it yourself. OR if you can't reach it... have someone teach someone you love how to do it. Mike and I both know how to do mine.

Emily65Roses

Yeah that sounds like a load of crap to me. It's not like they have to "find" it like they sometimes do with veins. It's very obvious where the thing is, it's impossible to miss. Get someone who's not a halfwit... or have someone teach you how to do it yourself. OR if you can't reach it... have someone teach someone you love how to do it. Mike and I both know how to do mine.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses