Added calories necessary for pancreatic sufficient?

MicheleGazelle

I think good nutrition is more important than high calories. I don't count calories. I eat as much as I want and have focused on researching what I and my sons need nutritionally. I used to be quite overweight and have lost several dress sizes. My son wcf used to be quite thin and has beefed up and looks more normal and healthy. So this approach has worked equally well for both types of weight issues in my family.

MicheleGazelle

I think good nutrition is more important than high calories. I don't count calories. I eat as much as I want and have focused on researching what I and my sons need nutritionally. I used to be quite overweight and have lost several dress sizes. My son wcf used to be quite thin and has beefed up and looks more normal and healthy. So this approach has worked equally well for both types of weight issues in my family.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

ehtansky21

I have found many alternatives to dairy products for adding calories and fat to the diet of my boys. Coconut milk is the equivalent to the calories of half and half and tastes wonderful in anything from hot chocolate to waffles and other breads. PM me if you want detailed suggestions.

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

I have found many alternatives to dairy products for adding calories and fat to the diet of my boys. Coconut milk is the equivalent to the calories of half and half and tastes wonderful in anything from hot chocolate to waffles and other breads. PM me if you want detailed suggestions.

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

hmw

It was explained to us that kids with CF often need more calories than other kids of the same age, sex, height and weight due to the increased energy expenditure it takes to maintain the respiratory system. Pancreatic insufficiency, of course, makes it harder to meet those needs but not everyone with CF has that issue. Fats are often focused on since you can get more calories in a smaller package, but this approach doesn't work for every kid's taste. I agree a very nutritious all-around diet is important, not leaving out any food group, and capitalize on whatever he does like to eat.

At only the 5th%, though, I am not surprised that they are concerned. (My daughter is in the 5th% and we are very worried about her growth.) Has he always been this low on the charts or is he on a downward trend? How long has it been since he's been checked for pancreatic insufficiency?

Full-fat dairy is good for the calcium, protein, etc & is a source of calories many kids love- but it's easy for us to look at it from the perspective of adults who really don't want to end up with cholesterol levels through the roof. To be honest... it does concern me a bit at times too and I try to moderate things a bit. I give Emily plenty of that stuff but also use butter-replacing spreads with healthier fats when I can, oils with a better fat ratio, things like avocados and nuts are great, since they are high-fat/high-calorie, but it's the better kind of fat. I hope you find some good solutions that help him start to grow a bit!

hmw

It was explained to us that kids with CF often need more calories than other kids of the same age, sex, height and weight due to the increased energy expenditure it takes to maintain the respiratory system. Pancreatic insufficiency, of course, makes it harder to meet those needs but not everyone with CF has that issue. Fats are often focused on since you can get more calories in a smaller package, but this approach doesn't work for every kid's taste. I agree a very nutritious all-around diet is important, not leaving out any food group, and capitalize on whatever he does like to eat.

At only the 5th%, though, I am not surprised that they are concerned. (My daughter is in the 5th% and we are very worried about her growth.) Has he always been this low on the charts or is he on a downward trend? How long has it been since he's been checked for pancreatic insufficiency?

Full-fat dairy is good for the calcium, protein, etc & is a source of calories many kids love- but it's easy for us to look at it from the perspective of adults who really don't want to end up with cholesterol levels through the roof. To be honest... it does concern me a bit at times too and I try to moderate things a bit. I give Emily plenty of that stuff but also use butter-replacing spreads with healthier fats when I can, oils with a better fat ratio, things like avocados and nuts are great, since they are high-fat/high-calorie, but it's the better kind of fat. I hope you find some good solutions that help him start to grow a bit!

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />At only the 5th%, though, I am not surprised that they are concerned. (My daughter is in the 5th% and we are very worried about her growth.) Has he always been this low on the charts or is he on a downward trend? How long has it been since he's been checked for pancreatic insufficiency?
<br />
<br />Full-fat dairy is good for the calcium, protein, etc & is a source of calories many kids love- but it's easy for us to look at it from the perspective of adults who really don't want to end up with cholesterol levels through the roof. To be honest... it does concern me a bit at times too and I try to moderate things a bit. I give Emily plenty of that stuff but also use butter-replacing spreads with healthier fats when I can, oils with a better fat ratio, things like avocados and nuts are great, since they are high-fat/high-calorie, but it's the better kind of fat. I hope you find some good solutions that help him start to grow a bit!

janddburke

My daughter is PI. she has a very slight build (but then again so did I at that age. but alas, no more) the Nutritionist has suggested upping her calories. We know that when she starts feeling unwell her appetite is the first sign and her weight starts to drop. think of the extra calories and padding as insurance.
also, PI now does not mean PI in the future so be aware. weight loss could be your first sign.

janddburke

My daughter is PI. she has a very slight build (but then again so did I at that age. but alas, no more) the Nutritionist has suggested upping her calories. We know that when she starts feeling unwell her appetite is the first sign and her weight starts to drop. think of the extra calories and padding as insurance.
also, PI now does not mean PI in the future so be aware. weight loss could be your first sign.

janddburke

janddburke

janddburke

<br />also, PI now does not mean PI in the future so be aware. weight loss could be your first sign.