Addressing the Family......(VENT ALERT)

Emily65Roses

I'd say stuff like this is some of the most harmless materialistic stuff ever. It's not like we're asking you to buy us new cars. We're asking you to help us live. Holy hell, I am glad I'm not religious.

Emily65Roses

I'd say stuff like this is some of the most harmless materialistic stuff ever. It's not like we're asking you to buy us new cars. We're asking you to help us live. Holy hell, I am glad I'm not religious.

Allie

The religion question? Maybe stem cell research, animal testing, etc? I mean, if they really do have a moral problem with something the CFF does, I'd say that's perfectly valid, as long as they feel that way about everything across the board. Not supporting any kind of animal testing, for example. But that's just a thought.

Allie

The religion question? Maybe stem cell research, animal testing, etc? I mean, if they really do have a moral problem with something the CFF does, I'd say that's perfectly valid, as long as they feel that way about everything across the board. Not supporting any kind of animal testing, for example. But that's just a thought.

Allie

kybert

i have read your post thoroughly jennifer and no, i am not bitter at all. you are the angry one here. i really dont know what you want from them. you know what? it isnt their problem and if they dont want to know about it then so be it! to imply that they are these big meanies who are causing you pain is unfair. for all we know they could be loving caring people. if the people you count on are your immediate family then why are you getting so angry with these people that arent in your life? seems like a waste of your time and energy.

as for not posting, that aint gonna happen. if someone needs a reality check im going to give it to them.

kybert

i have read your post thoroughly jennifer and no, i am not bitter at all. you are the angry one here. i really dont know what you want from them. you know what? it isnt their problem and if they dont want to know about it then so be it! to imply that they are these big meanies who are causing you pain is unfair. for all we know they could be loving caring people. if the people you count on are your immediate family then why are you getting so angry with these people that arent in your life? seems like a waste of your time and energy.

as for not posting, that aint gonna happen. if someone needs a reality check im going to give it to them.

kybert

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When I was expressing some frustration about my fundraising -- asking coworkers, relatives to participate in the walk or donate -- my MIL asked me if I really would be so involved with something like this if DS didn't have CF.

My response was, probably no, not CF 'cuz until DS was diagnosed, I didn't know anybody who had it -- all I knew was what I saw on an ER episode long long ago; However, I would still be involved with something -- friends and coworkers are involved with Relay for Life, we donate money to them each year, we probably would've eventually started to participate in their walks. Friend of mine bikes 1000 miles each summer for a charity thru his office, we sponsor him. If someone asks for help, we're always there to help -- whether it's volunteering, attending a spagetti feed, donating money....

Sure I'm a little disheartened when I send out letters and emails, but heck there are a lot of charities hitting people up for money these days, everyone had a cause near and dear to their hearts --- but what bothers me the most is when someone tells me "oh, yeah, I need to send you a check" or join the team and promise to volunteer, raise money... I'd just rather they didn't do that.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When I was expressing some frustration about my fundraising -- asking coworkers, relatives to participate in the walk or donate -- my MIL asked me if I really would be so involved with something like this if DS didn't have CF.

My response was, probably no, not CF 'cuz until DS was diagnosed, I didn't know anybody who had it -- all I knew was what I saw on an ER episode long long ago; However, I would still be involved with something -- friends and coworkers are involved with Relay for Life, we donate money to them each year, we probably would've eventually started to participate in their walks. Friend of mine bikes 1000 miles each summer for a charity thru his office, we sponsor him. If someone asks for help, we're always there to help -- whether it's volunteering, attending a spagetti feed, donating money....

Sure I'm a little disheartened when I send out letters and emails, but heck there are a lot of charities hitting people up for money these days, everyone had a cause near and dear to their hearts --- but what bothers me the most is when someone tells me "oh, yeah, I need to send you a check" or join the team and promise to volunteer, raise money... I'd just rather they didn't do that.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

CFHockeyMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LisaV</b></i>

Frankly if someone who I hadn't been in close contact with over the years initiated contact by asking me for money (even in a good cause) I would be a bit put off while if they'd just written me a nice informative letter I might respond and start building a relationship with them.

I am not enthused about the various walks for all of the various causes. I think that arena is oversaturated.There is a walk for one cause or another starting at theBoston Public Garden every weekend all year. I think that the only folks that really get up for these events are those who are immediately effected and I don't want to have my donations used for the overhead.

Educational events are another matter....</end quote></div>

Personally I'd rather have someone I'm an aquaintance of or loosely related to asking for money than a complete stranger on the street, by phone, or by mail ask me for money. I would much rather support a cause for someone I know even if it's not that well.

I don't want my $$$ used for overhead either but not all charities are run that way and I make it a point to find out which ones don't. If you don't do the research and assume that too much of your money is being used on overhead then what charities do you support? Educational events? Certainly an event like Great Strides and others are an opportunity to educate as well as raise money.

CFHockeyMom

Frankly if someone who I hadn't been in close contact with over the years initiated contact by asking me for money (even in a good cause) I would be a bit put off while if they'd just written me a nice informative letter I might respond and start building a relationship with them.

I am not enthused about the various walks for all of the various causes. I think that arena is oversaturated.There is a walk for one cause or another starting at theBoston Public Garden every weekend all year. I think that the only folks that really get up for these events are those who are immediately effected and I don't want to have my donations used for the overhead.

Personally I'd rather have someone I'm an aquaintance of or loosely related to asking for money than a complete stranger on the street, by phone, or by mail ask me for money. I would much rather support a cause for someone I know even if it's not that well.

I don't want my $$$ used for overhead either but not all charities are run that way and I make it a point to find out which ones don't. If you don't do the research and assume that too much of your money is being used on overhead then what charities do you support? Educational events? Certainly an event like Great Strides and others are an opportunity to educate as well as raise money.

CFHockeyMom

js7881

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>

I'd say stuff like this is some of the most harmless materialistic stuff ever. It's not like we're asking you to buy us new cars. We're asking you to help us live. Holy hell, I am glad I'm not religious.</end quote></div>

EXACTLY!!!!!!! You hit it right on the nose!!!!

js7881

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>

I'd say stuff like this is some of the most harmless materialistic stuff ever. It's not like we're asking you to buy us new cars. We're asking you to help us live. Holy hell, I am glad I'm not religious.</end quote></div>

js7881

js7881

Wow, this will be my last post here......I thought people could come here for support. Thanks Kylie for ruining this for me. Your comments were uncalled for and ridiculous. I count on my family to give me support and we are not getting it. They should know about it because it could effect them down the road. But whatever....i'm done here

NO MORE COMMENTS NEEDED!!!!! I WON'T BE CHECKING

js7881

Wow, this will be my last post here......I thought people could come here for support. Thanks Kylie for ruining this for me. Your comments were uncalled for and ridiculous. I count on my family to give me support and we are not getting it. They should know about it because it could effect them down the road. But whatever....i'm done here

js7881